Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MTB holiday in the alps – can I just turn up?
  • siloseven
    Free Member

Just wondering if it would be possible to get a cheap flight out when I’m off towards the end of august and sort out accommodation and bike hire once over there. Not too fussed about location as long as there’s some decent lift accessed trails and someone to rent me a good downhill bike. Thinking about going midweek for 3 days or so.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I think you could get something at Morzine,lots of accommodation & bike shops there.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Accommodation maybe. Just check out the local rental agent places and might get a cheap chalet. If you’re okay with the language and wandering about or ringing lots of places when there you can try local hotels and B&Bs.

Though I’d contact some direct before going to reserve somewhere.

If you’ve got transport some areas might have stuff a bit like a Travelodge (whatever the Euro equivalent is), though likely near or in a bigger town than a mountain resort.

Bike hire is another matter. Depends how busy it is. I’d expect DH bikes are in demand. Again could just try contacting places to reserve in advance.

ps don’t forget the brake levers are backwards out there 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Easy in Morzine. Plenty of bike shops and hotels. I think I’d book the hotel before arriving but that’ll be easy. Bike hire isn’t cheap though.

siloseven
    Free Member

yeah, Morzine sprang to mind as one of the better places to try

siloseven
    Free Member

thanks deadkenny. Backwards brake levers, shit, never thought about that – would they swap them over?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah easy, however big the summer season gets it’ll still be undersubscribed compared to winter – rental bikes might be showing the strain by late August though and it might be worth checking the lift opening / closing dates, I know they’ve opened into Sept before now, but I think it’s meant to close towards end of Aug.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Morzine is dominated by the Brits in bike season so I guess they’re used to the lever position thing and can swap them easily. I’ve never hired so I don’t know for sure.

siloseven
    Free Member

OK, cheers. I’d definitely kill myself with backwards brakes 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MTB holiday in the alps – can I just turn up?’ is closed to new replies.