Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MTB guide qualifications…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

are the respective qualifications from each of the main european countries valid across their own borders?

is a UK qualification going to allow you to guide in france? does a german qualification enable you to lead groups across the border into austria?

i'm going to try and get on a course next year. had a brain storming session/smoke with a mate last night and came up with a loose business idea of taking kids out into the wild, team building/adventure classes. he's finishing his social pedagogic studies next year and will look toward attaining rock climbing certification, too.

cheers

J

RayMazey
    Free Member

Hi

As far as I am aware, only France insists that you hold their National Mountain Bike Leader Award (which I believe takes a long time to attain)

We have had Guides / Holiday Companies, who have attened our Mountain Bike Leader Courses and operated all over the World.

Hope this helps.

Ray Mazey

http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

nasher
    Free Member

If you are working with Children, then a whole can of worms is opened….anywhere in the world really.

From my experience you can guide in most of the world (except France in some areas) with a british or any other country qualification.

MTB is relatively new and there is no "set" rexognised qualification…. even in the UK there are various qualifications!!! each supposed to be equal!! or better than each other.

RayMazey
    Free Member

If you are a UK company working with children and taking them above 600metres in altitude, you would be required by law to register with the AALS. This rule does not apply to those over 18

If you want a recognised seal of approval for the quality of your training which you intend to deliver to under 19's you may be interested in the Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge

Please see following links –

We believe every space is a learning place

http://www.aals.org.uk/

Otherwise, what Nasher says.

Ray Mazey
    http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

alpin
    Free Member

thanks nasher, thanks Ray.

if anything is to happen it would be in bavaria.

currently looking at German Alpine Society (DAV) and they offer a mtb guide qualification. it runs over four weekends and takes from may till september to complete. it works out around 320€ or 900€ if your not already a member of the DAV. does this sound expensive? is this unusually long?

there is also a "Biken mit Kindern" course that can be tagged onto the qualification and matey is currently doing his playing-with-kids stuff at uni.

thanks guys

J

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Doesn't sound too expensive, but the lapsed time is very long..just 4 weekends but spread over 5 months?

alpin
    Free Member

and all over the place: Munich; Süd Tirol; bavarian forest (near Chech Rep); and Tirol.

RepacK
    Free Member
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘MTB guide qualifications…..’ is closed to new replies.