• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by igm.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • MTB glasses – polarised?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Are mtb glasses – the Oakley stylee ones – polarised?

Is polarised lens a good or bad thing for mtb’ing glasses?

I was thinking of some for mtb’ing & driving too…?

d45yth
    Free Member

I think they can affect being able to see digital displays properly…don’t know if that will be a problem for you?

EDIT: Oakley glasses aren’t polarised unless listed as such.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I couldn’t see my IPhone or car display with Oakley polarised shades on.

I didn’t like them much.

Bought some much cheaper Bloc polarised sunglasses and they’re fine with the car display and ok with the iPhone.

Much better IME.

bonesetter
    Free Member

So, both polarised then?

Other thing is if you get the angle at a certain level the polarisation can block vision, if I’m right there.

I like the ploarised effect (enhanced colour) though,

jeff

I don’t like my polarised Oakleys.

Can live with the blanked phone displays at certain angles, but something is not right with them – can’t quite put my finger on why.

Wish I’d chosen normal lenses

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Polarising cuts out some of the light by only allowing it to pass through in one plane. They’re good for fishing and sailing as the surface of water has the same effect, so by polarising the glasses at 90deg no light gets through, meaning you can see through the surface and see the fish. Same for sailing, they show up ripples on the water indicating a breeze.

If you use anything with an old LCD display they work on the same principal, passing an electric current through one layer aligns the crystals, polarising the light, the top layer is fixed, so when both layers are polarised in the same way they’re transparent, when you put the charge at 90deg it goes black as the light cant pass through both layers. That’s why polarised glasses mean you cant see the screens, but if you turn the screen through 90deg the fixed layer on the screen and the glasses will line up and it’ll be visible.

Not much use for MTB though, no need.

Frankers
    Free Member

jeff – Member
    I don’t like my polarised Oakleys.
    Can live with the blanked phone displays at certain angles, but something is not right with them – can’t quite put my finger on why.
    Wish I’d chosen normal lenses

I agree I hate my Polarised Oakleys, and they have been the worst lenses for scratching easily I have ever owned.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have found polarised oakleys brilliant for everyday use and driving. When driving they take out the reflection of the dash on modern steeply sloping windscreens. I dont like them at all for cycling. They make manhole covers and tarmac look shiny and odd. Strange, as in the car everything looks normal.

alpin
    Free Member

I found that polarised lenses gave bare rock a funny tinge.I couldn’t make out the contours of the rock properly. Found it quite annoying as I was on Gran Canaria at the time where 90% of the surface is rock.

Also had the same effect on tarmac which I don’t like. Not much use for driving either, imo.

mickolas
    Free Member

I prefer my rose-tinted ones that let me ride my 1992 rigid 26er as if it was adequate for the riding I do.

maccruiskeen

…I hate my Polarised Oakleys

i have found polarised oakleys brilliant

STW – polarised as ever.

gmex619
    Free Member

Must admit having used both polarised and non polarised glasses I find my polarised oakleys amazing. I do use them when riding and driving. I have found I have slight dificulty seeing my stereo display in my car but it is a grey black monotone so its kind of understandable. However when using my phone I’ve had no issues at all. Same for potholes and such when riding. I can see perfectly well.

stevious

I use polarised lenses in my oakleys when I’m road biking or driving. Can still see LCDs unless I tilt my head at a funny angle, and they get rid of road glare on wet sunny days. They’re not that much better than non-polarised that I’d bother with them again though.

Off-road I find that they smooth out a bit of the texture of the surfaces, which isn’t great. I usually put some other lenses in when MTBing for that very reason. Not sure of it’s the polarisation or the tint that’s causing the effect though.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Good feedback guys, thanks.

I bought a pair of polarised ones yesterday for driving and they seem very good – no glare whatsover.

Plus – and this is a big plus – they allow you see highly contrasted shaded areas clearly on a brightly lit sunny day (eg under trees) where the road might be dappled in sunlight

I’ll leave them off for the riding then – stick to my £5 eBay DeWalt safety glasses 🙂

mduncombe
    Free Member

I use polarised sunglasses on my sea kayak, wouldn’t want to paddle without them. On the mountain bike I use some Specialized photo-chromatic sunglasses and they are superb, going from light to dark they change quickly and you don’t even notice, wouldn’t want to pedal with out them.

neninja
    Free Member

I use Transitions Split jackets on the MTB – I have some polarised lenses for them but find they lack the definition of ground surfaces compared to the Transitions. The polarised are great for driving and on water but not for riding off road.

igm

Polarised also works well for me in mist / flat light and coming in and out of trees.

The first makes sense as mist has a (limited) polarisation effect, but it’s more a boarding thing than cycling (also takes out the reflections and glare from the snow on bright days more than it cuts the general light which is nice).

In and out of trees makes no sense but a light tint and polarised works for me – possibly placebo.

Aldi do decent ones for less than a fiver every so often if you want to do a try before you buy (the Oakleys). Think it’s the fishing week.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘MTB glasses – polarised?’ is closed to new replies.