Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MTB for Cross races – what tyres?
  • Podium
    Free Member

Thinking of losing my cross virginity using the offroader [roadified n rigid]

Any suggestions for suitable skinny knob-lies I should consider.Ye olde 26",that is.

cheers me dears.

Podium
    Free Member

cheers tt.have you tried them?

mattyh222
    Free Member

think shwalbe do some in 26", they are pretty popular on the old cross scene and tend to roll super fast. check out the skinny nobby nics, sammy slicks etc etc

also michelin in 'rob jebb' green

tootin

schwalbe cx pros on all terrain cycles, 26" size

Picto
    Free Member

Would second the conti's. Dabbled with them before building up a cross bike.

crazy-legs

Specialized do some 1.8" narrow mud tyres, the Conti CrossCountry 1.5" are a popular choice as well.
    Pump them up to about 40-50psi.

Podium
    Free Member

Ha – 1.5 tyres reminds me of the original StumpJumper, circa 1985-ish. Fond memories…

julianwilson
    Free Member

recently I got 2 26"x1.35 scwalbe cx pros from zepnat for under £30. They come up a tiny bit wider on 717's than proper cx tyres on road rims. But way skinnier than any other knobbly. haven't 'crossed' them in anger yet though.

Coleman
    Free Member

I've used Schwalbe CX Pro's and Conti Twister's on an mtb for crossing.
    The Schwalbes are faster while the Contis have an aggressive tread better suited when really muddy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

it'll likely be muddy and you'll be up against guys with drop bars and 35C tyres who could probably run it faster than you can ride it.

I'd go for something in between 1" slicks and 2.6" mud tyres personally.

oxym0r0n

I used to race CC on conti XC 1.5s, fully rigid 1×8 P7 – even got a "bronze" in the national under 23 champs one year…

RIP Schmoo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MTB for Cross races – what tyres?’ is closed to new replies.