Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • mtb for a 10 year old – Cove Sanchez
  • sambuka
    Free Member

Hi – would anyone have any thoughts on using a Cove Sanchez frame for a MTB for a 10 year old. I’m not familiar with the bike but it seems a good size and possibly quite fun?

EG http://www.pinkbike.com/u/afarmer/album/Custom-Cove-Sanchez-14/

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

My thought is go for it.

But i’m not a parent.

sambuka
    Free Member

Do you think it would be OK on a 15 mile XC ride for example? I’m just a bit worried it’s more of a bmx style bike…

jonathan
    Free Member

I was eyeing one up for my eldest, but it would have been a bit big for him (he’s 8). The only draw back I can see might be the weight – older Sanchez frames particularly are pretty hefty (7lbs?), more recent ones quite a bit lighter. Whether that’s an issue depends on what the alternatives are though.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’m guessing it would be used for a myriad of purposes, think it is mainly aimed at dirt and street with a sprinkling of trails, as long as the angles measure up I can’t see why it would be any less comfortable on an xc ride than anything else…

and its versatile and has street cred,.. that’s what every kid favors over mile munching IMHO!

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, if he doesn’t mind riding a damn heavy bike, it’ll be fine.

iolo
    Free Member

Handjob. I’m not typing what you’re all thinking etc etc etc

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IIRC it’s quite long, alomst large XC bike long, 23″+ top tube.

Maybe look at something like a dialled holeshot (short), which is IIRC 21.5″? I built one up for my missus as she’s not much taller than a 12 yr old, it looks like it fits her quite well.

Either way they all carry a 2-3lb penalty over even the cheep XC frames. Brand-X, handsome dog, arrow, dirty-jo all used to do a generic ‘tripple butted’ XC frame which would weigh significantly less if you can find a small enough one.

My/her holeshot is about 30lb using a 1x8speed XT and XC spare bits from the shed (i.e. nothing overly strong, but no expensive/modern light bits).

moniex
    Free Member

I’d say too heavy and too long in the top tube. Will make it hard for him to jump. Top tube main issue with small 26″ kids bikes. I have built a few for my boys (now 10 and 12) and they prefer to ride/jump the one with the shortest top tube.

Small rockhopper frames work well.

My oldest is now 153cm and now just fits on a small stiffee, which he loves.

Keep looking I’d say …

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

interesting thread, on the lookout myself for a suitabloe frame for a 10 year old, anyone any views on a 14″ inbred frame?

ianv
    Free Member

The sanchez is steel so it will be quite heavy, the forks will be hard as they are coil argylls. It does look pretty long in the TT as well. I would imagine he might struggle if there is any climbing involved.

It obviously depends on how tall he is but my son (10) is still riding a 24″ and its much more suited to messing about than an overly big/heavy 26″ bike, he uses it for XC as well. Something like this for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Shred-Jump-Bike-/251362019819?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a865809eb

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kid-mountain-bike-kona-shred-/181245040964?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2a330bd944 and some air forks

tinribz
    Free Member

Toptube on that is the same as a medium cotic soul. An Isla Beinn 26 for about that age group has a 53cm 21inch ish virtul TT. Do a search on ebay for jump frame or dirt bike, some are longer than others, but might give you some ideas.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

13.5″ Rockhopper… 148cm tall 11 year old.

Slightly shorter stem with less rise and narrow flat bars… to keep the front low and the get the riding position right. He’s done a couple of 20 mile rides on it, with some serious climbs too.

swanky
    Free Member

Possibly one of these would be more suitable?

http://www.feltbicycles.com/International/2014/Bikes/mountain-kids/q-kids-series/Q24-Disc.aspx
    £300 new rather than £400 second hand for the Cove

sambuka
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips, I’ve bought a 15″ 2006 stumpjumper frame that I’m going to build up. Hopefully not too big but he’ll grow into it! Now looking for forks and wheels…

sambuka
    Free Member

Btw yes it was the weight that put me off the cove.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘mtb for a 10 year old – Cove Sanchez’ is closed to new replies.