Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • MTB First aid kit
  • Olly
    Free Member

One of our number had a tumble the other day. Turns out I’m the only one who carries anything resembling a first aid kit.

Considering an off the shelf first aid kit would be 50% pointless, ive trimmed mine back to stuff i would consider actual necessities. (ie: skip the plasters and antiseptic wipes, things to patch and repair holes and leaks)

Thought it might be worth a thread, to query what people are carrying in their kits (if they even bother)

Mine comprises:

Lockable tupperware box to keep everything clean and dry
    Zinc Oxide Tape
    Regular tape
    3″ sterile patches (x5?)
    2 bandages (x2)
    Steri strips (x2 packs)

Plus Electrical tape in the general tool kit!

I also have some medical shears, and a rollable splint, but stopped carrying them as they took up space i needed for cake.

Any advances?
    Anything ive missed?

nickjb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bin the plasters etc. I probably use those things more. Might not save a life but it often makes a longer ride more comfortable.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Off the top of my head,
    tick twister
    tweezers
    asprin
    ibuprofen
    anti histamines
    cocodamol
    gorilla tape
    Israeli dressing
    triangular bandage
    note book/pen
    nitrile gloves
    scissors
    small role of pallet wrap
    butterfly stitches

And most important of all, current 2 day outdoor first aid qualification.

Neb

Foil blanket, whistle and a mobile phone? + plenty of painkillers!

Everything else can either wait, be improvised or can’t do much about as you require assistance.

qwerty
    Free Member

A large dose of common sense is all that is required. The only problem with common sense these days, is that it’s not that common.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Anything ive missed?

Flask of finest whiskey?

thegreatape
    Free Member

A gauze pad and a bandage and two paracetamol.

v8ninety

Oh god. Here we go again… Biscuits anyone? Or can I interest you in a CAT tourniquet? Maybe a blast bandage or two? How about a needle crich kit? Maybe a range of Venflons and some IV paracetamol? You know, just in case?

Onzadog; facetiousness not aimed at you, you lead MTB groups commercially don’t you? Bit different for you liability wise I expect

kilo

every first aid course I’ve been on it’s always bloody Israeli dressings, never seen one in a first aid kit, bane of my first aid life

Onzadog
    Free Member

v8ninety, does it show in the choice of kit? Most of it is there to make people feel happier, feel as though they’re being helped. The other bits are to stop them bleeding out while we wait for help!

The funny thing is, while I’m carrying that to benefit strangers, it seems odd not to carry the same to help the friends I ride with should it be needed.

The liability thing is weird. If the worst happens, I’ll be judged by my peers, so I need to be at least as well trained and equipped as they are.

Speshpaul

sterile wipes, by the amount I used recently when Minton Batch grabbed hold of my lads front wheel, twice as many as you think you need.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mobile phone + emergency bivvy bag if it’s cold.

Pretty much everything else is pointless

Olly
    Free Member

Wow. Someone got out of bed on the wrong side

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mobile phone + emergency bivvy bag if it’s cold.
    Pretty much everything else is pointless

Not everything. Last weekend we successfully closed a chums split chin with steri strips after cleaning it out. We were in the middle of a classic Lakeland pass bash and by the time we got out and actually got him anywhere near an actual hospital, I think it would have been too late for the wounds edges to take and he would have needed stiches. As it was, we stuck it all in place, and by that evening the wounds edges were beginning to hold by themselves. We didn’t lose any riding time that day, or the day after.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘MTB First aid kit’ is closed to new replies.