• This topic has 19 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by wl.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • MTB courses/training days – Yorkshire area
  • timrichards
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend any?

Looking for something along the lines of trail riding skills, but with obstacles, small jumps and drop offs.

I’m not too bad a rider but would like to push myself a bit more, so anywhere that offers skills training in these areas would be good.

Cheers

ton

bloke with the beard. great rock.

GRAEMEJONES

Been on a couple of one day courses at Gisburn with Ed, and also 2 of his one week courses at Basque MTB. Just do it, you wont regret one moment 🙂

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Currently looking for the same.
    Singletrack School advertise here and run courses in Easingwold just north of York.
    Do the Dales Bike Centre run any courses?

captaincarlos

Dales Bike Centre also do a couple of decent courses, specifically one on jumps and drops. I did the “steep & rocky” one and thought it was excellent.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Pro Ride Guides from Harrogate, excellent coaches and offical coaches to the Mega Enduro, often MBUK featured and they did the coaching articles in MBUK last year. They will cover everything you describe and anything else you specify. Most of their coaching is done at Stainburn (Otley), but they also do Hamsterley and other places.

Macavity
    Free Member

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member
    dantsw13

Great Rock With Ed Oxley, in Hebden Bridge. Very good.

TPTcruiser

Saw a flyer on the checkout desk at Edinburgh Bike Coop in Sheffield last night. Based at Wharnecliffe, various levels. I know nothing else but it did catch my eye – what with Xmas miles away. [Just in case MsTPT is Googling]

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Just come back from a week riding with Ed and Doug in the Basque country.

Taught me loads, well worth it. Definitely got me out of some very bad habits, and will NOT be crashing quite so much from now on.

http://www.great-rock.co.uk/

ahsat

I have been on 3 courses with Ed and he has quite simply transformed me as a rider. Ride stuff would have walked before, happier with wheels in the air and quite often get QoMs on the descents simply by adding ‘flow’. Well worth the trip from Newcastle and will be booking a 1:1 with him next year as Alp prep. Ed has a real skill at talioring a group session that everyone gets something from it rather than trying to teach blanket skills.

Oh and he is a dude.

mifty
    Free Member

Ed’s the man to see for this. Trust me, he will transform you.

spacehopper

Went on a one to one skills course with Ed a couple of years ago..

didn’t think i got much out of it at the time.. but the more i rode afterwards and though about the things we had gone through on the day and put them into practice.. it pretty much transformed my riding..!

highly recommended!

also just got back from the skills week with Doug and Ed in the Basque country.. which topped up the skills i learned earlier and put the new bits ive learned into practice on some of the AMAZING trails (i shall forever dream of blue pills…!) out there..

emmodd
    Free Member

I’d throw my hat in the ring for Ed too. Also heard good things about A Line coaching in Sheffield

phil56

Another recommendation for Ed.

As well as providing generic technique advice, he has a great ability to see each rider as an individual, even in a group. He will help them with the 3 or 4 things that will move them forward most, and not swamp them with more input until the confidence grows.

A few friends have been on Ed’s courses and without exception it has transformed their riding.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Ed from me.

What you pay for in a good coach is his ability to capture and articulate what you are actually doing, as opposed to what you think you’re doing, and to tailor the most appropriate things to do to correct it.

mcnultycop

As above, Ed. I’ve had one course and am having another in September.

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Believe in the Beard! Go straight to the Great Rock!!

wl
    Free Member

I only ever hear good stuff about Great Rock. Mint riding in his neck of the woods, too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘MTB courses/training days – Yorkshire area’ is closed to new replies.