Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • MTB Coaching/Instructor Courses
  • Jaybee1978
    Free Member

I am looking to do a MTB coaching/instructor/leader course. Can anyone recommend any companies that they have used? Also, is there a standard qualification that is recognised when you are applying for positions thereafter?

Thanks in advance.

jimmy

SMBLA is highly regarded. I did mine with Jonathan Collins at Betwys Coed. Can't remember his company name…

jedi

i am mias qualified and doing ctc skills instructor next month

jimmy

its changed from whatever it was;

http://www.1bike1.co.uk/

recommended by the way!

mozzie
    Free Member

Hi, check out these guys at http://www.cyclewise.co.uk/ up at whinlatter near Keswick. They do excellent courses and SMBLA trail leader awards which is a Scottish award but is valid all over the UK.

bassspine
    Free Member

cyclewise +1 Brilliant. (must get assessed)

Trekster

jaybee

All depends on you purpose for wanting/needing quali?

British Cycling do "coaching" qualis

SMBLA/CTC do "leading" qualis

My area BC dev coach like to split hairs but there is a lot more to "coaching" than any "leaders" course covers.

doug_basqueMTB.com

If you're doing the SMBLA course then I cannot recommend Jules Fincham at Cyclewild Scotland highly enough. Total enjoyment from start to completion. It's in Aviemore and Jules likes to ride so even for someone who lived close to there I was shown some new trails. The only problem is that it's hard to concentrate on what you're meant to be doing because the riding during the courses is so fantastic!!! Jules is a good guy and a font of knowledge on all things outdoors.

Cyclewild Scotland

There is a section on coaching as part of the SMBLA but I don't know how that compares with other courses.

glenp
    Free Member

…CTC do "leading" qualis

there is a lot more to "coaching" than any "leaders" course covers.

Sorry – that's not right actually – the CTC instructor course is not a leadership course and IS about skills coaching. You really need to do a separate leadership quali and then the CTC Skills Instructor to run on your own, I'd say.

CTC is all about learning a particular modular system for teaching mountain bike skills. The same skills system can be (and is) used from the very beginner level right through to world class riders.

Trekster

Stand corrected glep..should have checked my facts first..

There are just too many non regulated providers in this area. It all needs tightening up imo

neil853
    Free Member

This is who i did my MIAS course through, enjoyed it alot with a good mix of coaching and leadership skills, good bloke who gets his points accross well. recomended

http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk/

glenp
    Free Member

In fairness Trekster it did used to be leadership AND skills coaching.

Skills coaching has been at the heart of it since Ian Warby took the Mountain Biking role at CTC – his skills system (and the detail and personalisation that we have all added to it) is at the heart of the CTC Instructor method.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but figured it would be better than starting over…

So if you want to lead, do SMBLA, if you want to instruct do CTC, if you want to lead and instruct, do both?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘MTB Coaching/Instructor Courses’ is closed to new replies.