Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MTB club in / near Edinburgh
  • opusone
    Free Member

Suggest me a mountain biking club. The following criteria are important:

1) I’ve never been in a MTB club before
    2) I don’t know anyone in Edinburgh (moved up last week from Yorkshire) so need some friends.
    3) I don’t really like racing
    4) I prefer wild stuff to trail centres
    5) I don’t drive
    6) I’m 35 (no uni clubs thanks – been there, done that, got the liver damage)

Ta.

scotroutes

If only TBC was still a thing…

Unless things have changed since I left you might struggle to find anything. A post on here asking for someone to show you round would likely get a few responses. Then organise a weekly ride. Someone has to..

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

The STW forum?

scotroutes

There’s the TrailScotland forum too, though that’s gone a bit quiet of late. Still, sometimes all it needs is an injection of new blood.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

There’s a club in Midlothian. Some of the guys are on here I think. It doesn’t appeal to me but it might suit you. I follow them on Facebook but I think you have to be a paid up member of the group to really get anything out of it. On the plus side they do weekly rides on and off road, pentlands, Midlothian and Tweed Valley feature regularly. There used to be an emphasis on racing so rides were quite fast don’t know if that’s still the case. One option would be to join the Glentress Trailfairies, if you’re happy to lend some elbow grease somebody will give you a lift. They usually build in the morning and ride after lunch. A lot of the guys in know are through the fairies and before Straps it was a great way of finding the other trails in the valley. I’d be happy to show you some riding although due to family and work commitments I’m far from regularly on the bike.

jimmy

There’s an MTB section to ERC (Edinburgh Road Club). They mostly ride Pentlands, meet every Saturday morning. Never joined in but seem a decent bunch.

We really should have regular “STW Edinburgh Branch” rides, alas…

Heh wait, I’m riding tmrow on my lonesome. Anyone??

13thfloormonk

I’ve been thinking about this myself actually, just awaiting the arrival of a new MTB and would really like to get some mid-week rides going.

However, I think myself and a lot of the ex-TBC crew struggled to ever find a night which suited everyone, so perhaps it just requires two or three informal ‘leaders’ and a set route out of town for people to join us on. Ideally at least one ‘leader’ would be available on any given Wednesday so there would be some consistency behind the rides.

I’d happily volunteer to be one such leader and would suggest the route out of town goes from Evan’s Cycles Tollcross – Union Canal – Water of Leith – Bonaly Shop.

Of course, since I still don’t have the bike it’ll be another 2-3 weeks before I can hit the trails!

grey

Theres a Edinburgh MTB Meetup group and also a Central Scotland MTB Meetup group as well, on the Meetup website.
    can’t do links, work computer won’t let me 🙁

DrT
    Free Member

I think the erc off road section is dead, judging by activity on their Web page. Central Scotland mtb meetup is probably the most active group with widest range of rides. I’ve only ridden with them a couple of times but a sound bunch of folk.

opusone
    Free Member

Theres a Edinburgh MTB Meetup group and also a Central Scotland MTB Meetup group as well, on the Meetup website.
    can’t do links, work computer won’t let me

Do you mean this:

Edinburgh Mountain Bikers

Edinburgh, GB
    621 Mountain Bikers

We like to think of ourselves as a friendly group of extended mates to go mountain biking with. Often it’s hard to coerce your friends to take up biking or others things come …

Next Meetup

Beginners ride at Glentress 14th March

Saturday, Mar 14, 2020, 11:00 AM
    10 Attending

Check out this Meetup Group →

heechee
    Free Member

opusone, as far as I know erc off road still meets

http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/mountain-bike

(at 10am Saturday corner of westgarth avenue/colinton road)

They are a small group and sound people, I think they may arrange stuff by facebook now, not too sure.

They had much time for me as a stranger and a novice!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MTB club in / near Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.