Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • MTB clip pedals that are good for knees?
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Feeling my knees a bit on Shimanos now, are Time still the benchmark for knee-friendly MTB spuds?

I use Speedplay on the road, which I love, but their new MTB pedal manage to sound shyte and expensive.

All recommendations gratefully received!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CB candies have loads of float if that is what you are after – complete rebuild from the old days too there is a spd review in the last mag which you can read being a p

Kamakazie

No problems with times here. Good float, mud clearance and last about as well as any parks can be expected to.

Can’t compare to CBs though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    M6TTF
    Free Member

Time xc6 for me. Used candys for a while as I got them cheap. Buy cheap, but twice. Time just work.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve had issues with my knees with Shimano, but never with Time. Can’t compare to CB either.

jonnyrockymountain

Looks

whisky711
    Free Member

Used Time ATACS for about 15 years, no knee issues, lots of float.

LoCo
    Free Member

Time or speed play. FTW.

Proper setup is the real key though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Properly set up Times.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Seat height and position, cleat position, angle and float probably more important than brand…

daver27
    Free Member

The new HT’s are pretty good i’m finding, MAvic/Time are ace though, bit vague on the retention/release compared to SPDs and HT tho.
    Crank brothers are utter rubbish in most peoples (mine included) experience. i’ve had them fail within 20 minutes of leaving the car park on the first ride, NEVER again, no matter what shiny colour they do them in.
    Thoroughly impressed with HT’s though and highly recommended. i believe the trail pedal comes with 2 sets of cleats offering varying degrees of float, either that or you can buy an alternate cleat, not 100% on that.

rob2
    Free Member

Look Quartz

Shackleton

Time (or mavic branded times) work well for me with wonky knees. Crank Bros are meant to be better now but I was burned too many times to go back…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Crank brothers are utter rubbish in most peoples (mine included) experience. i’ve had them fail within 20 minutes of leaving the car park on the first ride, NEVER again, no matter what shiny colour they do them in.

When did you try them? They are very different now.

munded

+1 Time (recently seen branded as Mavic)

qwerty
    Free Member

Look S Track are worth a “look”. Similar to Time in that spring tension is set. They offer 3 shims (0.5, 1, 2mm) that reduce shoe / pedal friction thus reducing resistance required to unclip. You can add cages if you wish. They also offer a second “easy” cleat to ease clip in. I have the S Track (basic model) with the LT Cage & 1mm shim, i like them. I’ve had Candys and ATac in the past, very similar to the Times.

I still use my sole savers as i reckon the spring bar will indent the bottom of my shoes.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Useful info, thanks all. I’ve had a bike fit so I don’t think it’s set-up.

On Crank Bros, I’ve seen so many horror stories about them, are they actually any better now? Has anyone been using the new pedals in the UK over winter without constant rebuilds?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not full on UK but tassie gets wet. The previous mallets did 18 months on one set, had the newer candies for over 2 years no issues. The Mallet dh for 6 months, there has been another design upgrade since then.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Ah, thanks Mike. Was aware you were in Oz, but not Tassie, so presumed you were riding somewhere a lot dryer than here.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And when required bearings changes take about 10mins.
    CB got picked up by a new outfit here, they basically said it’s due to the redesign that they are happy to distribute them.

mtbfix

I used Tine and CB in the past. Time seemed good. CBs ( admittedly Oder ones) were good for float but didn’t last. Now using SPDs with Spring tension backed off and tine spent getting the cleat position just so. If the cleat is misaligned I can’t get on with them but once it was set right I’ve been entirely happy and better off as they’re so cheap.

Del

It’s not full on UK but tassie gets wet. The previous mallets did 18 months on one set, had the newer candies for over 2 years no issues. The Mallet dh for 6 months, there has been another design upgrade since then.

[quote]And when required bearings changes take about 10mins.[/quote]
    so the longest you’ve had a set is ‘over 2 years’, and you’ve had to take them apart? 😆
    time here.
    just retired one set of times that i reckon have done > 20,000km on the single speed, just because the springs were so worn they were getting a bit vague on click in. never, ever, serviced. still spin freely.

daver27
    Free Member

admittedly my experience of CB is a few years back now, but never ever again. i’ve seen enough newer models knackered to steer well clear. (work in the industry..)

These are my new favourites:

HT T1

and no, i don’t work for that publication or any other!

haven’t used them for long, but been on the older X1 pedal for a year and LOVE them. the retention is stronger than SPD, with a better warning when you are close to releasing with a lot more float

dingleberry
    Free Member

Good to hear about the HT pedals! I’ve got some X2’s on the way – like the look of the T1 but wanted something with a bit more of a platform.

As for CB, I had some Candies a few years ago – no problems with the reliability of the pedal itself, but the soft cleats wear out in no time compared to Shimano. I much prefer the defined click of Shimano too, CB are quite vague feeling, but if you want float and don’t mind replacing cleats every so often they’re the ones to go for. Just make sure you fit their Shoe Shields too!

daver27
    Free Member

just be warned with the X1/X2 HT’s, depending on your shoes, you won’t need ANY of the pins. had one of the worst crashes of my life as i installed all of the pins and couldn’t release even when ragdolling down the trail… the pins are totally pointless and once removed the pedals are utterly brilliant.

Also, the cleats are very similar to shimano, i.e STEEL, so are likely to last forever

dbrown
    Free Member

Used to rate CB, then one cleat failed resulting in lots of torn bits of tendon in my shoulder. Just can’t trust another pair. Only had them for 2 months.

chickenman

I love mallet DHs but I have rebuilt them twice in 15 months. I think when you get 4 months of rain like we had this winter then you do need to regrease them every couple of months (10 min job).

andyv
    Free Member

I used to have knee problems. I found it was due to the outside of my foot not being amply supported so my feet were tilting away as I pedalled. This resulted in itb pain.

I switched to both a shoe with a harder sole and crank bros pedals as they had more support on the outboard side than the shimanos I was using. Knees cured.

I also developed a skill for servicing cb pedals! Look after them and they’re fine. Ignore any crunches at your peril.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have rebuilt them twice in 15 months. I think when you get 4 months of rain like we had this winter then you do need to regrease them every couple of months (10 min job).

Five years ago or more, I gave an old pair of ATACs to a friend. I’d already used them for years. Never serviced them beyond cleaning.

He’s been commuting on them almost daily ever since. Again, with zero maintenance.

They’ll outlive Keith Richards.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Seat height and position, cleat position, angle and float probably more important than brand…

+1

Sandwich

They’ll outlive Keith Richards.

That’s never going to happen. 😆

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

My Crank Brothers have been fine.
    I was sticking to the bearing change once a year and occasional regrease.
    I haven’t touched them for a year or two and the bearings are tight and running smooth.
    I am running three sets at the moment!
    My road Quattro pedals are fairing far worst!
    Replacing bearings twice a year and they have a few rides and start making noises!
    They are over ten years old now!
    Time to retire them I think!
    Thanks,
    Max

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so the longest you’ve had a set is ‘over 2 years’, and you’ve had to take them apart?

No the candies are over 2 years and no maintenance. The new version (as reviewed in stw) has updated seals and bushes too. Comparison with the old ones is pointless.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Except for the fact that 2 years is barely even run in for most of the competition (Except XTR, which seem to snap axles on occasion).

I use Time, and they generally outlast my interest in them. I’ll buy shiny new before the old ones are worn out, usually about 8 to 10 years, still have some original Aliums that (other than looking a bit tatty) work perfectly.
    Same on the road. Still using impacts on a couple of bikes, which have been discontinued for near enough 10 years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I’d love to predict the fun but that’s only as long as I’ve owned them and they still run sweet, I’ve got some of the older ones that did about 7 years over various bikes but as they have changed the design so much it’s not worth the comparison.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘MTB clip pedals that are good for knees?’ is closed to new replies.