Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MTB chainset on a cross frame
  • oldgit
    Free Member

A Croix De Fer actually. Will there be a problem?

A bit of an about turn on the 1×9 idea, but what the hell I want it to do as much as possible.
    So three rings up front? The hub I think is 135mm it’s certainly a disc hub. Also it’ll be combined with an MTB cassette and XT reat mech. Shifting will come from bare end shifters in friction mode.

Can anyone say for certain if this will be okay?

antigee

currently use an old trek frame set up as a cx style with drops / carbon forks and xt mechs chainset etc and can’t think of any probs – plan on switching to something like a croix der fer as want to go disk

i have the i think it is sometimes called “touring” rings on front slightly bigger (48?) than a standard XT – does mean unless you can manage 95 plus a bit cadence consistently spins out at about 25mph
    ok for me but not if you want to keep up on the fast stuff on road

bare end shifters in friction mode

and be careful with that

oldgit
    Free Member

and be careful with that

Oh yeah 😀 I’ll keep my fingernails trimmed

Is that a Trek road frame set up like that, I guess that’s what you meant?

dobo
    Free Member

mtb crankset will be fine, i used a ht2 xt chainset on my kinesis in 1×9 mode for several months until i caved in and bought ultegra cranks. much happier with this setup now.

what you will notice on the mtb cranks is that they will stick out further from the chainstay (larger q factor)? chainline on 1×9 wasnt perfect but worked just fine
    friction shifters should work in that setup but never used them tbh

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i have an xt triple chainset on my sworks tricross with xt rear mech, 12-32 cassette, ultegra sti shifters, ultegra front mech. all works fine.

antigee

Is that a Trek road frame set up like ?

sorry no should have said old non front sus’ mtb geometry

so not a definitive answer

charliedontsurf

A few things to watch out for based on converting 2×9 surly cross checks to 3×9.
    but you should be alright

Bb width: the inner ring can clash with the chain stay. Only really relevant to square and Isis set ups

Front mech: is it a triple… Asking a double mech to do three rings is not on

Other than that it should be alright.

taxi25
    Free Member

I used a 44/32/22 mtb chainset on my 9spd campag equiped cross bike. The standard front mech handled the smaller rings well enough.

firestarter
    Free Member

My old cx had mtb cassette , rear mech and triple crank road front triple mech and 105 sti levers all worked perfectly.

Note. I couldn’t get the mtb front mech to work hence the road one

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MTB chainset on a cross frame’ is closed to new replies.