Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • MTB cassette on road bike?
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Evening

Can I fit a MTB cassette to a road bike, specifically this combo
    http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-hg62-10-speed-cassette-55585.html
    http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-m591-9-speed-rear-mech-45165.html
    They will be used with 10 speed ultegra shifters,about 4 years old.
    I’ve had a look about and it seems I need a 9speed mech for some reason.
    I’m not too concerned with cassette being 34 or 36 tooth.
    I’d like to do it for touring if I can, I did a few tours last year on my old MTB, and I needed all the easy gears, I’d like to do the same this year on my new kaff, but I know for certain I won’t be able to manage with the road gearing on it at the mo.
    If I can’t use those, can anyone tell me exactly what I can use?

Ta

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Why not fit a road triple to run with the current cassette rather than trying to bodge?
    NOTE: i’m not claiming to be any form of expert but fitting a cheapish triple may be easier.

scotroutes

Than combination should work (I use an XT rear mech on my tourer)

houndlegs
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be easier (pedalling wise) with a big cassette though?
    Or can you get lower rings on the front, than a 30( I think that’s what they normally are on a triple right?)

coatesy
    Free Member

Should work fine, fitted a few to road bikes, but indexing can be a touch more finickey on road 10sp than MTB, probably because of the differing pull ratios(why you need a 9sp mech).

Mister-P
    Free Member

That combination is fine. It’s not a bodge and it’s cheaper than converting to a triple.

scotroutes

Fitting a road triple would mean a new left shifter (and likely front mech) too. A cassette/rear mech is a cheaper, easier option (FWIW, I use a triple AND a MTB cassette)

houndlegs
    Free Member

Was just going to say, I’ve found a cheap triple on spa cycles website but totally forgot about shifter, thanks scotroutes for pointing it out.
    It sounds like its a goer then, thanks everyone.

midlifecrashes

Your choice should work ok. I use a 10 speed 11-36 cassette, 9 speed XT rear mech, 105 STIs and 105 triple front mech, with an XT trekking chainset. Easiest gear is more or less walking speed.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I forgot about the shifter too! 😳 In my defense my ‘tourer’ (Boardman hybrid) has a triple shifter set to work as a double!
    It has an SRAM cassette & X5 mech too.

houndlegs
    Free Member

midlifecrashes, on some of the hills in Pembrokeshire last year, I’d have traded my soul with the devil for walking pace 😀

Doug
    Free Member

Running 1×9 (39/11-34) with a short cage 10 speed Ultegra 6600 mech and a bar end shifter for simplicity. Runs well enough, it’s the other way round to what you want to do but shows how interchangeable the 9 and 10sp Shimano road stuff is. You only need a 9sp rear mech if it’s an MTB mech as Shimano 9 and 10 speed road mechs have the same cable pull ratio.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Doug, it would have to be MTB mech to cope with 34 or 36 cassette wouldn’t it? Road mech won’t cope with that will they?

Doug
    Free Member

My short cage Ultegra copes with a 34 even though it Shimano say 27t max. Wouldnt take a 36 as the b screw is fully in.

EDIT : Buy a cassette that you’ll need either way and try it out. Just remember the extra few links in the chain.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Hmm, perhaps I’ll get cassette first and try it then, thanks doug

scotroutes

Doug is only running one front ring though. You’ll need a MTB mech to get sufficient range with a double.

Doug
    Free Member

One ring with an SS mech. I’ve previously run short cage, 12-28 with a compact 50/34 up front so a GS (med cage) mech should be fine. Plus you won’t want to be running big to big or small to small.

nickc

There are some long cage road mechs in the Tiagra (I think) range. Perfectly good for what you want to do. Less money

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘MTB cassette on road bike?’ is closed to new replies.