Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • MTB BB with Road Cranks – will it work?
  • binno
    Free Member

Can i run shimano road cranks with my spare shimano typeChris king BB?
    Looks like the cups are 1mm wider on the road ones, so is it just a case of using the external spacers as needed?

Will i cause any lasting damage?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chainstay clearance, chain line and whether your front mechs will be the concerns.

binno
    Free Member

Clearances should be fine as it’s a cross frame with 135mm rear spacing. I don’t have the cranks to try, only the BB at the moment, hence asking.

speedstar

So if its a 68-73mm BB shell then the cups are 1mm wider on one than the other (road bike I believe) and the road bike should have no spacers. Be wary here as I didn’t realise and kep the original MTB setup only to find I’d cut the chain too short when I realised my mistake! You need to check what width of BB shell you have and what the road cranks require.

coatesy
    Free Member

If needed, Hope make the required 1mm spacers (BBSP105)to correct the width difference. Also worth noting that they make a narrower central sleeve for their road BB, as the standard MTB one is too wide, may not be a problem with King but worth checking before you damage anything.

binno
    Free Member

Thanks of the hope spacer tip. Not tried it out yet, but will take all onboard.

Anyone out there actually tried this yet though?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘MTB BB with Road Cranks – will it work?’ is closed to new replies.