• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nc21.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MTB age range – is there a gap?
  • kiksy
    Free Member

Went to an XC race the other day, and then a DH race to watch with my wife in the afternoon. She commented “Are people quite old in general who do DH?”.

This got me thinking, at both races, there were a reasonable amount of juniors (<20yrs) and then a large number of 35+ riders, but very few people who looked to be 20-30.

Anyone else noticed this?

If so, any idea why?

scotroutes

Coz they’re all out getting pissed and having sex.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Doing what your parents do is not cool.

When we die, it’ll be cool again.

40mpg

They are busy having families / careers? That was my break – lots of racing from 18yrs old to 26, then other things got in the way, gradually picked back up in early thirties and now do as much as ever (47)

BruceWee

Probably can’t afford it. Under 20 then the parents pay, over 35 you’ve got enough disposable income for such luxuries.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There are generally a bunch in their 20’s they also end up in the Expert and Elite cats, masters was/is always a big catagory though.

kiksy
    Free Member

Probably can’t afford it. Under 20 then the parents pay, over 35 you’ve got enough disposable income for such luxuries.

This is what I suspect. A new bike is likely to be more than most peoples cars at that age.

philjunior
    Free Member

A new bike is likely to be more than most peoples cars at that age.

And so it should be! (said the marginally embarrassed man who recently bought a car which was more expensive than all his bikes put together :()

ade9933
    Free Member

maybe they just don’t feel like like they have something to prove?

nc21

Found them!Not in DH but the biggest group at the recent Dunkeld enduro was the 30-39s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MTB age range – is there a gap?’ is closed to new replies.