Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • MTB advice please !!
  • wyliecoyote11
    Free Member

Hi all
    First post so bare with!!

Looking for help. I have a specialized crosstrail hybrid. It has 700×38c tyres. Sr suntour NCX forks. Sram X7 gears.

Im looking to find out if i could put MTB tyres on existing wheels (SR 485 622X16C Madux) ??
    Complete novice. But wanted to find out if this was possible and if bike could cope with off road use. Nothing too crazy just some trails.
    Any info would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

tthew

The limiting factor won’t be the wheels, but the space around the top of the fork and frame, likely behind the bottom bracket. You could probably go up a size, (42) but perhaps take it to your LBS and ask them.

Bike will be fine, unless you are planning on lake district, peaks, Scotland then it might get out of its depth.

wyliecoyote11
    Free Member

Great thanks for advice.
    Planning ob doing Burma Road in Aviemore Scotland.

schinz
    Free Member

I used to have a Pinacle Dolomite road bike which I put panniers on and went touring with. I ended up riding this on tow path type tracks and through the odd wood and it managed fine even with road tyres.
    My advice would be to find some local paths and try it out! So long as you don’t plan on jumping stuff and ridinng technical trails you will probably be find. Punctures might be a problem though. I find Kenda Kwick Roller tyres to be fantastic both on road and on paths.

boxelder

bare with

But we hardly know you, cheeky.

acidchunks

I’ve got a 2012 crosstrails and reckon I could easily fix 29×2.0 mtb tyres in the frame and fork. Currently using 29×1.75 landruisers and there’s loads of room

Might be worth a fork upgrade if you can afford it. the suntour NCX don’t perform that well & weigh a ton. I personally wouldn’t take them on trails. The on one carbon fork I replaced mine with improved the bike dramatically.

Also the bb on the crosstrails is quite low so be prepared for a few pedal strikes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘MTB advice please !!’ is closed to new replies.