Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • mtb 26" tire for commutting and a tame off road?
  • sefton
    Free Member

thinking about using my mtb ‘rigid’ for some commuting.

on my cx bike I run a landcruser tire that offers a bit of everything.

whats the ‘standard stw’ mtb commutting tire then?

binners

For my tarmac to work, off road back, I tried a few and found the best option is a Kenda Small Block 8. Fast rolling on tarmac, and will stand up surprisingly well off-road unless you go mad. Perfect for bridleways etc

sefton
    Free Member

quick google throws up conti travel contact

stumpy01

Specialized Crossroads or Hemisphere?

Jake25

+1 for the Kenda Small Block 8

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’d be surprised how well slicks work off road – no one ever uses them though.

stumpy01

cynic-al – Member
    You’d be surprised how well slicks work off road – no one ever uses them though.

I’ve done Thetford in some proper sloppy wet conditions on my Schwalbe Cityjets a few times. Can’t remember why now. But yeah, they were fine and I kept up OK with my mates; had to be a little careful over the rootier bits, but probably no more than any other tyre over wet roots to be honest.

sefton
    Free Member

how are the small blocks for punctures and getting the pressure up high?

acidchunks

26″ land cruiser! 😀

took me 2 years to wear down a pair of them with daily commuting and occasional forays off road. had exactly zero punctures..

The 26″ version still rolls well with a solid centre tread and has bigger side knobs than the 700c. Cheap too!

binners

I put the pressures right up with the track pump for the run in on tarmac. Pump them up like a road tyre. And I can’t believe I’m saying this but…. I’ve never had a puncture in them.

There… thats bloody torn it now. Probably literally

sefton
    Free Member

whats the crac with the bike discount store? is it a uk store?

Dickyboy

bike discount store

tis german, but alles gut

binners

Its the Geeeeeeeeermans. I ordered mine from there on a Monday. They arrived Friday. Looking out of the window, I’m presuming you’re in no rush to get out there 😉

sefton
    Free Member

its beautiful in Bolton!…honest!

they are cheap but I do fear the side roads of Bolton will tear them up in no time.

landcrusers
    small block
    conti travel contact

hmmm

binners

They’ve been fine on the urban savagery of Burnley and Rochdale.

They stood up to summer post-work runs round Cragg Quarry and Phillip Park and what-have-you too, without complaint. I got them after being assured by people on here that I wouldn’t die. And I didn’t 😀

djflexure

I have a pair of Geax Saguaro – ridden once that would fit the bill.

20 posted?

ransos
    Free Member

Panaracer pasela. Light, inexpensive and roll well. I do get punctures but very infrequently.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I use Spesh Fast Trak

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 for Kenda Small Block 8

rockhopperbike

landcruisers- seen em for £11 each- crc I fink

sefton
    Free Member

might try the small blocks, I’ve got the cx bike with lancrusers on.

have to sell my nobby tubeless ready tires first

sefton
    Free Member

bought the kenda’s from de-geeermans

will match my daughters isla bike now 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

Shagged tyres you no longer use for proper off road. Currently on near bald racing ralph rear and less bald nobby nic front. Bit loud but OK

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I got some Schwalbe Crazy Bobs 2.35 on the rigid Ragley. Awesome and fast on the roads and fine on the smoother trail centres as well. Plus you can get them for just under 15 squids a tyre.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Michelin Country Rock do a good job for me. Really smooth on the road, but enough tread and side knobs to cope with stuff like gravel bridleways.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Bonty L3s 1.60 or 2.0 great.

Northwind

Another smallblock- last forever too. Absolute shit in mud though.

richmtb

Aye Small Blocks are terrible in mud really grippy on hardpack and you can get them to squeal under braking on tarmac which is a laugh 🙂

adevaynes
    Free Member

conti double fighters

duntstick
    Free Member

Marathon Mondial Evos, not cheap, but no punctures. Fit and forget

Mondial

igm

How brave are you?

Schwalbe Big Apple

Small Block 8s used to be my favourite trail centre tyre though so worth a look. Fine on the back in mud – bit slidier than a High Roller but more predictable. Just don’t put them on the front in mud and then expect to corner flat out.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Schwalbe Tabletops every time. Come in folding so lighter than big apples while being wider and grippier, the tread pattern means only a 2″ peice of glass can cause a puncture and on a narrow rim gives insane cornering grip even in the wet and they roll super fast @ 60psi. + They work great offroad @ 30psi aslong as its not muddy…

gozarch
    Free Member

+1 for Conti Travel Contact. Good on my hardpack/muddy commute and not too noticeably horrible on the road at the beginning and end either.

butcher

I’ve been riding Travel Contacts for a couple of years now. Nice and fast on the road, perfectly capable in rough conditions in the dry, and a bit lairy in the mud, but they can get you by.

Think I’ve had 2 punctures in about 3k miles.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

While im sure a slick tyre would roll somewhat faster i doubt it would be that noticeable and tbh i fear punctures would be an inevitability with the amount of broken glass round here, literally every other back street has a patch…

Small blocks look basically like a racing ralph? they wear SO fast on tarmac its not even funny and the give in the blocks will increase rolling resistance?

Im always surprised im the only advocate for tabletops whenever this thread returns…

That tread is just perfect and they weigh the same as the lightest other options posted but are 1/8 wider for that extra cornering grip.

Im on a mission to get atleast 1 convert now! 😛

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘mtb 26" tire for commutting and a tame off road?’ is closed to new replies.