Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MSR windburner
  • The-Beard

Anyone got any experience of the MSR windburner or alternatively the Jetboil Minimo? Looking for an all in one system and the Windburner has caught my eye but the Jetboil can be had a fair bit cheaper.

deft
    Free Member

I’ve had one since they first appeared, I think they’ve changed the name now but it’s the same thing. Bit heavier and more expensive than a Jetboil, but imo MSR have more of a mountaineering pedigree. It’s blumming quick to boil, and comes with a canister stand and cup/mug.

Seen a fair few (well, two) Jetboils go up in flames, and I know people working in shops who are forever complaining about returns due to the igniter failing (which Jetboil won’t warranty).

The-Beard

Thanks, it does look like the windburner gets a lot more praise than any of the Jetboil stoves.

somafunk

Looks like a good stove, i searched for reviews of msr windburner vs jetboil minimo on google and found loads of good reviews singing it’s praises, might have to get one as it seems to fit what i’m looking for in a bike packing stove

The-Beard

Somafunk you’re based in Galloway aren’t you? I am in the SW too and wanted a stove that would cope with the incessant wind we get here – which is where the windburner seems to excel.

nant
    Free Member

I picked up one cheap recently on a staff offer. Excellent bit of kit. Def better than my Jetboil zip, a lot more protection for the flame. The only thing the Windburner doesn’t do better than the Zip is that, the gas canister won’t sit inside with everything else. But otherwise the Windburner boils faster and retains the heat well.

Its been a morale booster to have on the mountains when I wanted a nice hot cup of coffee or tea.

somafunk

Yep, Kirkcudbright. It was the other weekend as i was out on an overnight bivvy up on the Merrick when i was trying and failing to get my stove to light that i came to the realisation that i need a windproof stove, 30mph+ swirling winds and a pretty ineffective windshield left me without coffee and hot food 😥

I may have to order one later

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MSR windburner’ is closed to new replies.