Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • M+S Thermals For Riding – Okay?
  • awptechnical
    Free Member

Been looking at loads of cycling specific thermal base layers – too many to choose from.
    Just wondered if anyone’s tried M+S thermal vests? They don’t talk about wicking or anything; would they be suitable for active sport use?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Great for keeping warm not so good for moisture management IME. GOt very sweaty on a wee road ride last week whilst wearing mine. Better for skiiing or walking.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use the long sleeve tops and the t-shirt types all the time, the thermal ones that are in the orange cardboard display packaging. They are very good and wash really well, fit is pretty excellent and they are long in the body for a proper tuck in, they also don’t smell like a dead rabbit. They have just been updated with a slightly better fit material which is clingy, and smoother.
    I’ve used many different types of thermals, these are very good and reasonably priced and wash very well.

awptechnical
    Free Member

It was the moisture management I was concerned with. Two different replies.
    Any more comments?

limburger
    Free Member

I’ve used the long sleeve top as a single base layer under my endura stealth jacket. Worked really well last winter, up to -5 or so even. Not used them in milder weather though (why would you – they’re thermals), so don’t know how clammy they get if you sweat a lot.

epicyclo

I think they have cotton in them (last time I looked). Cotton kills.

OK for short urban rides, not if you’re doing an epic and may get stuck in bad conditions.

awptechnical
    Free Member

The cheaper ones have cotton in them. There is a more expensive one (£22) that is suppose to be 32% wool (they say merino) polyester and viscose. They also have a 100% merino for £32.50 but at that price there’s a lot of others on the market.

Is the On-One merino stuff any good?

awptechnical
    Free Member

The cheaper ones have cotton in them. There is a more expensive one (£22) that is suppose to be 32% wool (they say merino) polyester and viscose. They also have a 100% merino for £32.50 but at that price there’s a lot of others on the market.

Is the On-One merino stuff any good?

Esme
    Free Member

I’d avoid viscose too – it has similar properties to cotton

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got the fully synthetic ones that come in packs of 2 and normally on offer after Xmas. Don’t wear them on really hot days but use them in spring and late summer no problems and sometimes summer evenings if I’m going to be out late. Never had any problem with sweat building up (even with a camelbak) and they wash very well and survive thorns etc (I tend to wear long sleave all year round to protect my arms and just push them up when out of the trees.

edhornby

AWP – the on-one merinos are good, I wear for casual when it’s really cold as well as for riding, I think the zips are a bit of a faff tho, just better to have the straight LS tshirt style

just don’t wash them on anything other than wool setting, they go scratchy but this applies to all merino not just the OO ones

scotroutes

FTFY

I have Icebreaker tops that just get thrown in with the other washing and they’re still fine after years of use.

awptechnical
    Free Member

Thanks for the advise. I will take a look at the On-One merino stuff.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘M+S Thermals For Riding – Okay?’ is closed to new replies.