Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • MS Surface
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Finally got one, the larger size. Interesting experience from a design point of view. As a tablet it’s a bit odd. Windows 10 is not as good in tablet mode as Android – some things still have hints of desktoppyness about them, and the back button isn’t consistent. Google Earth isn’t usable. Of course, fit the keyboard (which I haven’t yet bought) and its a laptop, much better than a true tablet OS. Also in tablet mode it really is a bit big to handle.

However as an object it’s incredible. Insane how thin it is and the fan is brilliantly engineered.

Anyone else got one? Enjoying it?

Drac

Nah! I have an iPad pro.

slowbloke
    Free Member

Yep, got a surface pro 4 that I use for my mIn work machine. Just a shame windows is so bad at display scaling you have to log off and back on when docking and undocking (if using external monitors) unless you want icons half the size of the screen or so small you can’t see them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Installed Photoshop… looks pretty cramped and even more intimidating than on a normal PC.

Also, not sure why I get autocorrect on the on screen keyboard sometimes and not others…

jate
    Free Member

Yes I have a Pro 3 that I use instead of my laptop when I am travelling by train or when on holiday. The keyboard transforms it into a real alternative to a laptop. And the bendy Bluetooth mouse is just so cool. Combine that with a folding plug and you can pack the whole lot into a really small bag.

brassneck

It’s not a great tablet, but I like it as a dockable byod type thang. It’s good enough for the little I use it travelling, and better than a small notebook in that time, and an excellent PC when docked and hooked up to a good screen etc.

Only thing I don’t like is that fan – seems to need to run rather a lot to keep things cool, but thats the price of carting an i5 around in something that thin.

It’s more useful to me than an iPad Pro (had one of those for a few weeks), but that’s down to ecosystem and apps I need to be running.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I had the first one (still have but an update killed it). I can see how it would be perfect for some use cases, just not the ones I have.

molgrips
    Free Member

I got it because my work laptop is huge and a pain when cycling. Also, I didn’t own my own laptop any more and turns out you aren’t supposd to use work’s one for lots of personal stufff. Who knew?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, good laptop light. Not so good tablet+

Oddly crap on your actual lap though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah… wondering if I will lice to regret it because of that.

Really wanted to be able to sketch diagrams and similar during conversations at work without having to go through reams of paper that get covered in increasing amounts of scribble as the meaning gets lost.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Also crap on the train unless you get a proper table.

chambord
    Free Member

Have you tried Linux on it yet?

molgrips
    Free Member

Linux.. no… tempting though. Will probably try it in a vm though.

Kryton57

What’s better, this or an iPad mini with Logitech keyboard case?

molgrips
    Free Member

iPad runs iOS software, Surface runs all Windows software, which is pretty much everything. It’s a full PC so you can run virtual machines, Visual Studio, Eclipse, and all that. If you need to do those things and also want a tablet, there’s no contest. The pen is also pretty damn cool. Also I suspect the higher end Surfaces are by far the lightest i5/i7 devices around, but I haven’t checked.

Really are quite different things. iPad/Android will be better as a tablet, probably. But I think the Surface Pen is cooler than any other pen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s on my list molgrips for basically the reasons you have. For me a tablet is just a fancy media device which I can’t justify but make it a solid powerful pc and it appeals.

I have a pro 2, and I like it. I’ve had it for nearly 3 years now and been through the win 8 and win 10 versions. I’ve never had any other tablet so I can’t really say how it compares but I like the small, light laptop nature of it and I’m happy to use the keyboard, although when I’m at either office I dock it and use a large monitor and keyboard. Photoshop on the surface screen was nearly unusable for me, but the 2 has a smaller screen than the later versions. When I’m away I can connect it to the hotel tv and watch HBOgo or NBC sports or whatever.

Philby

Got two – one personal and one from work. Much easier to carry around than my previous laptop and docking to a larger screen and keyboard gives you two screens which I find really useful. Still getting used to One Drive and the pen.

Travis

As 10. I have the 2, wife has the 3.

I love the presentation mode on it, being able to scribble during the presentation is awesome.
    I’m sure others do it as well, but I like the experience on the Pro.

BenjiM

Just been given a Surface 3 at work, installed Open Office fine, installed AV and the screen freezes on start up everytime. Tried to do a reset, the reset has failed so I’ve had to download the restore pack from MS and buy a 16gb USB stick for the privilege of restoring it. Lovely to look at, but that’s all I can do at the moment is look at it!

bencooper
    Free Member

I have a 3 (typing on it at the moment) – I don’t use it as a tablet much, but as a laptop with a touchscreen it’s great. With CAD software, very useful to be able to use the mouse/trackpad and pinch/move on the screen at the same time.

Adding the keyboard from the 4 was a big improvement, the 3 keyboard was a bit meh and then it broke.

So I’m very fond of it – it’s a very slim laptop, basically, that can run all the software I want without struggling.

molgrips
    Free Member

Benji, don’t install AV on it. W10 comes with AV.

I love the presentation mode on it, being able to scribble during the presentation is awesome.

How’ve you done this? One Note? Or does PowerPoint let you do it too?

BenjiM

Benji, don’t install AV on it. W10 comes with AV

I have since come to understand this! It won’t happen again 😉

JohnnyPanic

They’re great machines, just don’t drop one 🙂

simon_g

My work laptop is a Surface Book. Nice machine, I just don’t use it much as a tablet tbh.

SaxonRider

I’ve got one, along with the keyboard and the pen. It is brilliant, and the only ‘laptop’ I can imagine buying in the future.

The keyboard is extremely easy to type on; indeed, I think I can type far more quickly on it than on anything I’ve ever used before. And while I can understand how some might find it awkward on their lap, I bought a UAG case that mitigates any problems.

I have used it as a tablet and as a laptop, and while it definitely works best as the latter, it certainly isn’t rubbish as the former.

CHB

Have ( and using now) a Pro 4. Absolutely love it. Had a Pro 1 before it that bricked prematurely. Microsoft replaced with a Pro 3 but not before I had already bought the Pro 4!!!
    Son now has a pro 3 to take to uni!
    As an aside, if anyone wants a pro 1 genuine Microsoft charge cable/pack for £15 delivered then let me know….found it last week!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m a Chrome user but it doesn’t seem to work very well on the Surface.

Xylene
    Free Member

Don’t let your wife stand on the screen – 300quid to swap out for a replacement unit.

BOught a Surface 3 due to the cost for 100 quid more, now have a Pro3 with knackered screen turned off so effectively a shit laptop, but still usuable, and a Surface 3 that I use for notes in meetings.

My favourite swanky case maker Noreve does some lovely surface and pro3 cases

Travis

Molgrips – on both is fine. Office has the start inking button, and you can use the Pen on that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Quirrel – Member
    Don’t let your wife stand on the screen – 300quid to swap out for a replacement unit.

Or more simply put don’t leave an expensive PC on the floor? Unless there was some sort of strange game we really don’t need to know about that involved geting her to stand on it

IHN

Possibly dumb question; does the clippy on keyboard allow you to use it in ‘laptop’ mode on your lap, or does it need a table?

danbo
    Free Member

I’m on my pro 4 on my lap on a train as i type this. It’s not as good as a proper laptop like this but it’s OK… You dont have to use a table.

Use mine as my main computer at work with the dock and a large screen. It’s really good.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Like he says I use my Pro2 on my lap but it isn’t like a laptop where the screen is supported by the keyboard. The tablet balances on my legs using the kickstand and the keyboard being attached makes it stable.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife has a flip out case that makes it more stable. She almost never uses it on a table.

SaxonRider

Possibly dumb question; does the clippy on keyboard allow you to use it in ‘laptop’ mode on your lap, or does it need a table?

I have the case I mentioned in one of my posts above, and I use it everywhere. I hardly ever have a table to put it on.

IHN

Awesome, cheers chaps. I can see one of these being the replacement for my ageing laptop.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just used my Surface as a paper pad for the first time – one of the main reasons I wanted one.

Having a discussion with a colleague, wanted to sketch the concepts visually as we do.. so I grabbed the pen, clicked the button on the end and started drawing. The future is here. No trees were condemned during this knowledge transfer.

mashiehood
    Free Member

i have one and love it

molgrips
    Free Member

Windows recognises me with a bike helmet on.

This post was hand written.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘MS Surface’ is closed to new replies.