Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • M&S renewal time
  • Dibbs
    Free Member

My M%S insurance renewal has just arrived, £438.34 for Buildings and contents.
    The policy wording has changed re; bikes, “You need to let us know if you have any pedal cycle worth more than £2000. If you do not make us aware of any cycles over this limit they will not be covered.”
    I’ve now got a bike over 5k plus several that would cost over 2k to replace.
    What are my options?

chakaping
    Free Member

let them know and see how it affects the quote (it may not IME)

also raise the excess if you have a low one, may cut the quote considerably

worth staying with them in my experience (have had to claim)

stevied
    Free Member

Or try Amex insurance. My Lloyds quote had gone up without my bike on it. Tried Amex + £4k bike + £15k more contents + £4k watches and was the same price as Lloyds 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

My £3600 bike added £5/month to my premiums with M&S

austen

I decided to stick with them and add the bikes that topped the £2k limit, was certainly cheaper than a new M&S quote (as I had done in the past) which I think sets the bar even lower and worked out considerably more expensive.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I didn’t bother last year, but previous years I’ve cancelled the policy and taken out a new one (to get the new policy discount). MY understanding is that if I take out a new policy the cover isn’t as good as the old policy, is this correct?

austen

That’s what I found too Dibbs, they’re slowly trying to reduce the level of cover, so if your cancel and get a new policy (as I’ve always done too) the bike cover is significantly more expensive.

Guess I’ll keep renewing until it reaches some breaking point and I find another sensibly priced option.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Cancelled mine, as the quote was £661 for a rural 2 bed flat! Contents only!!!

stevied
    Free Member

£661 for a rural 2 bed flat

OMG..ours is £270 B&C for 3 bed semi…

boblo
    Free Member

If you wish to renew with M&S, don’t go past the renewal date as they will cancel the policy and only renew under new terms (all bikes listed over £1k). My premium went from £220 to ~£900 p/a due to this….

Frankers
    Free Member

To add on 2 bikes with M&S, one at £4k the other at £3k has cost an additional £160per year
    Other bikes insured up to £1k on standard policy

Total now is £830 year for buildings and contents

mikey74
    Free Member

If you wish to renew with M&S, don’t go past the renewal date as they will cancel the policy and only renew under new terms (all bikes listed over £1k). My premium went from £220 to ~£900 p/a due to this….

Really? Mine just automatically renewed. Do you pay by direct debit?

Frankers
    Free Member

Mine automatically renewed but bike cover down £1k so added them separately

mikey74
    Free Member

Odd!! Mine only went down to £2k, but then again I do have the Premier policy.

boblo
    Free Member

Mine was Premier and I pay in full upon renewal (non DD), non auto renewal.

The old Premier policy had individual valuable items unlisted (inc bikes) up to £4k.

This was revised this year (for me) to £2k.

I missed the renewal by 1 day so they cancelled the policy and insisted I take out new business under their new conditions, items listed over £1k. This is when the premium went up to £900 which we did not take up…

TheGingerOne

I’m premier and my quote went up only £7 when I rang to add a £3.5k bike.

juliar
    Free Member

A little late on this one but I’ve just been ringing around today for renewal quotes as my M&S Premier Policy is due to run out.

My renewal quote has gone up £40 from last year – that’s pretty standard, yet I’ve made no claims!! I asked them if I dropped my cover to their Standard Policy if I could save some money. Are you having a laugh – 170% increase to over a £1000 with one bike valued at £2k. I’m actually financially better off with their renewal quote on the Premier Policy.

I can’t find anyone else that comes anywhere close though, otherwise I’d love to leave M&S since they have no loyalty to their customers.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘M&S renewal time’ is closed to new replies.