Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • M&S Home insurance – worth the cost?
  • stick_man

We have an M&S policy which has decent cover on bikes without specifying them. It's expensive though, and I'm wondering whether it'd be better to go with a cheaper insurer and cover the bikes individually?

Thanks.

Drac

I found that the separate cover for bikes cost more than home insurance with bikes included.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

^^^^^^What the man said.

A tip with M&S. When you get your renewal, go online and get a quote for a new policy. It will be much cheaper. Then ring them up with details of the quote and they'll reduce your renewal to that level. I saved £130 on my renewal by doing that.

jond
    Free Member

I renewed* ours a while back – found a few things:

a)*not exactly – it's cheaper to take out a new policy on the web than renew an existing policy ! Or at least, it was at the time…
    b) there's two levels of cover under M&S, I *think* both have similar bike cover, but best to check.
    c) Waitrose have their own policy which seems to sit at the level of the cheaper M&S policy, or mebbe slightly above, cover-wise. I think both this and M&S use Axa.

HTH

Edit :
    >Then ring them up with details of the quote
    I tried that, but was told they couldn't change the renewal quote ! Mebbe enough other people have suggested that their management are numpties, that they'll now do it 😉

Drac

A tip with M&S. When you get your renewal, go online and get a quote for a new policy.

Going to try that now quote came through the post this am for renewal.

RichPenny
    Free Member

How much more was yours Drac? got mine through recently and it was 20 -25% more, cheeky ****. Not letting them have that.

cinnamon_girl

Does 'no claims bonus' not come into the equation?

Drac

How much more was yours Drac?

0 or at least minimal.

Drac

Online quote is £97 cheaper I sense a phone call coming on.

Drac

Ok current policy will finish end of next month, they can't change the quote unless I changer the policy up or down, new ones starts same day and I've saved £10 per month. Cheers Chats.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have M&S insurance – £200 contents only but all risks included – so bikes insured away from home. By far the cheapest cover I could get with the bikes properly covered

RichPenny
    Free Member

Bugger, just tried to get a requote and website says they won't insure me as I live in a flood risk area. It's a second floor flat you ****, and you've already offered to insure me, just at a rip off price. TJ, my quotes almost twice yours, and you live in a city! M&S about to get sacked off I feel…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup

bikes only policies have been quoted to me at roughly 10% of value of bikes per year

that works out at the best part of £3k for us 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rich – I think their risk tables are a bit dodgy. I am in a top floor flat which is more secure but in a fairly dodgy part of the city. I couldn't believe how cheap it was and it actually went down at renewal time.

TheGingerOne

I am also insured with them and have had my renewal. Went online to get a 'new' quote and they will not as I am now deemed to be in a flood risk area also. And I only want contents insurance.
    The Environment Agency website says I am only at risk of extreme flooding, a 0.1% chance per year. I've lived within a mile for over 30 years and know the history of the area well enough to have made an informed decision when buying the house ffs.
    So, if I ring up and renew, I know I am getting fleeced a bit, but at least the bikes are covered at a fairly sensible price.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Got my MS renewal earlier in the month –
    £530 + £150 excess.
    Eek!
    So I went on their website and started a new policy –
    £198 + £0 excess.

Over £300 cheaper! You can see how they make money 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

The cynic in me says that they won't requote you because they know you're already with them. Anyone have any suggestions as to who offers a similar level of cover?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm thats put me off now! I prob only have 1 bike over my current insurance limit for payout. I think I'll just check out individual insurance if your claim goes up after a year that much!

unsponsored
    Free Member

Minimum security means:
    The door used as the final exit from the dwelling must be fitted with a 5 lever mortice deadlock complying with BS3621 or a lock of superior quality approved by us.
    All other external doors must be secured in a similar manner as described above or must be fitted top and bottom with mortice or surface mounted bolts with detachable keys.
    All accessible windows must be fitted with key operated window locks with detachable keys.
    Sliding patio doors must be fitted with key operated security locks top and bottom with detachable keys

We have double glazing throughout and UPVC doors front and back. Are these of superior quality?

cxi
    Free Member

You could tree Green Bee (part of John Lewis):

http://www.greenbee.com/home-insurance

Just scanning the policy document:

Personal Effects
    This means clothes and articles of a strictly personal nature likely to be worn used or carried. For example MP3 players, mobile
    phones and also sports equipment and pedal cycles. It doesn’t include valuables or money.

Valuables
    This means jewellery (including costume jewellery) articles of/or containing gold, silver or other precious metals, cameras (which includes video cameras, camcorders and digital cameras), binoculars, watches, furs, paintings and other works of art, collections of stamps, coins and medals.

So bikes aren't classed as valuables, which have a limit:

The limit for any one valuable will be £10,000.
    The limit for any one claim for total valuables will be £20,000.

Home insurance for private residences.
    The insurance provides unlimited cover for the total rebuilding cost of your property and/or contents for the cost of repairing or replacing
    the contents of your home, but single article and valuable limits apply. It will also include accidental damage on your buildings and/or
    contents unless you choose to opt out of this cover.

So it would seem (but worth checking!) they would cover multiple expensive bikes without declaring them.

When our M&S renewal was due I spent ages checking our insurers and loads of them wanted you to declare bikes or would only offer £1000 of cover in total. I eventually lost the will to live and we stayed with M&S.

Oh, Hiscox are meant to be good but that comes a price.

mossimus
    Free Member

Similar experience to Ian Munro £500+ renewal went on line and got new policy for £250, buildings and contents in the smoke.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

do they cover shared hosues?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘M&S Home insurance – worth the cost?’ is closed to new replies.