• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • M+S Contents Insurance
  • scotty2
    Free Member

£300 for contents insurance standard level!! That's as much as my car insurance! Where am I going wrong?

I'm only after contents insurance for my bikes which I keep in my folks house.

mikey74
    Free Member

My Premium level M&S is £17/month (£204/year) so I'd redo your figures if I were you.

DT78
    Free Member

I think I pay around £550pa for their top level building & contents with away from home cover. (away from home adds £150 I seem to remember)

When I looked at individual bike insurance it worked out around 10% the value of the bike per year, and had more conditions/exclusions than M&S

Depends what value you put on peace of mind?

They are very good btw, I had a claim which was processed with the minimum of fuss a few years back. (and it was claimed under away from home so it's worth it)

thegreatape
    Free Member

+1 to what DT78 said, except I'm currently sorting out my second claim in 2 years with them. No fuss at all.

headfirst
    Free Member

We've had more than our money's worth from M&S: within the first six months of starting with them, my daughter's bedroom ceiling fell in due to a leaky roof and we claimed on the contents insurance when one of our suitcases was stolen whilst on holiday in France (our annual travel insurance policy had run out, oops). We've been happy with the end result on both occasions.

scotty2
    Free Member

So basically £300 seems reasonable? I've since gone on compare the market and endsleigh will do a matching policy for £160. I don't know what their reputation is like but I did have to specify individual bikes and values which seems fair..

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Are you a houseowner applying for your own address?

scotty2
    Free Member

nope – for stuff at my folks address

spooky_b329

The endsleigh policy won't be as good…end off.

Try and pursuade your folks to switch to M&S on their next renewal. Offer to pay say £100 towards it…that should help their decision.

Seriously, M&S are top for bikes. Greenbee has very similar cover but tends to be more expensive.

Edit: Actually you really do need to get them to switch policys. Being dual insured is a bad thing, as the insurance companies may argue over who is liable. Imagine your house got burgled, and you tried to claim for the bikes from M&S, and your parents claim for the electrical goods from their insurance company. Not advisable…

fontmoss
    Free Member

i am paying more than mikey74 for standard depends where you live etc

spooky_b329

I'm also paying more than Mikey, but I have premium buildings and premium contents cover. But even with standard cover on both it was still more.

grtdkad

I have used M&S for a couple of years and can recommend – now have a policy with Greenbee (both AXA I believe). Having just received my renewal off Greenbee at £507 pa was wondering who else is out there that can offer the equivalent cover?
    Are we stuck with these two?

trail_rat
    Free Member

340 note to insure as a tennent in a private rental

thats there top level home and away cover with accidental damage

toys19
    Free Member

400 for me, but Ive got all the bells n whistles like dt178. single article value of 4k? inc bikes? bargain.

jonb
    Free Member

Think mines about £250 but then I looked at bike cover and that was nearly £80 per bike and I've got 7 in my garage between me and my GF.

Check bike policies because it still works out miles cheaper and by everyone elses accounts they are pretty damn good too.

Do you live in a dodgy area?

toys19
    Free Member

jonb – Member

Think mines about £250 but then I looked at bike cover and that was nearly £80 per bike and I've got 7 in my garage between me and my GF.
    Ahh I take it you are not with m&s? you dont need to specify bikes, which I think is why the OP is considering them…

DT78
    Free Member

Sorry to state the obvious but people's premiums are going to vary based on postcode & lots of other factors, but yes £300 isn't unreasonable imo

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘M+S Contents Insurance’ is closed to new replies.