Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • M&S building & contents insurance quote £928!!!!
  • beagle
    Free Member

****!

Aparently because we haven't had continuous insurance up to this date with any other provider. The fact that we have been uninsured in rented for 9 months (all possessions in storage) with no need for contents insurance and buildings insurance from the landlord.

It was a basic quote over the phone for a small 3 bed detached in Cheshire. No special declared items. No add ons. That's with no excess. Adding a £500 brought it down to the late 700's and you get 20% off on line.

Still it appears they are extracting the (St) Michael !!!!

Speshpaul

Cough ! morethan.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is your house on a marsh in the middle of a burning tar pit?

JCornford

That will go down to about £600 if you did it online with M&S

beagle
    Free Member

Nope. Everything standard. Surprised by it and a quote from Hiscox has it at £490 and their single item stuff looks good eg don't have to name anything up to £15k.

Had thought it would be a simple one stop shop to M&S but looks like I'll have to have a good shop about now 🙁

morethan next Speshpaul. Ta.

br
    Free Member

Cheshire… that could be here:lovely place

By comparison our contents with M&S are £121, and buildings with our mortgage provider (for a 3-bed deteched in Bucks) at less than £150.

theflatboy
    Free Member

try ING – they were the only company that insured for my bikes specifically plus contents, and not bad price either.

coffeeking
    Free Member

They wanted over 400 for contents only on my 2 bed flat, with contents not exceeding 10K. Everyone on STW was hyping M&S for ages, but they've never competed for me.

skidartist
    Free Member

Get them to check if they are still holding an old address for you, they've moved their cover over to AXA (from More Than, I think) and in the move it seems some records got a bit borked.

We got a high renewal quote but it turned out that the system was assuming we occupied both our current and previous property, so was quoting for cover for the both of them combined.

theflatboy
    Free Member

yep m&s wouldn't even quote once i told them about the bikes.

pacemaker
    Free Member

compare the meerkat market.com simples. 😉

ianpinder
    Free Member

i went through a broker, 3 bed rented house, contense upto 20k, a 6k nicolai and a 2800k pa insured for accidental damage and theft away from home, £450 which i didn't think was too shabby.

grantway
    Free Member

WOOW thats about £ 500 quid more than me and that includes me Orange 5 AM
    Mines a Two bed house and I live in East London.
    Halifax insurance.

thegreatape
    Free Member

£928?

That's probably what mine's going to be at renewal time. Two claims in just over two years both with M&S. They've been very good mind.

br
    Free Member

tgt

were the claims worth it?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yeah, I reckon.

1) New kitchen, several grand, following a leaky washing machine connection that ruined the wooden floor and units.

2) Redecorated hall/stairs/landing and new carpets for same following a leak at Christmas from an upstairs radiator. Still in the middle of redecorating from that but it'll be best part of £2k when done.

Paid about £300 a year for buildings and contents for the last 2.5 years, so can't complain. Hope there isn't anything else though, I've heard that when you get to 3 claims your choices become a bit more limited.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's funny, I'd pretty much never consider claiming on house insurance for some odd reason, unless I was broken into. Not sure I'd want the fully-comp nature of it. But that makes no sense.

br
    Free Member

And how long did the washing machine leak for before you saw it – and then a 'leaky' rad…

TBH your insurance will be a lot in the future, and for a fair few years – but better you pay for it than we do 😛

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We just needed new insurance and phoned M&S gave us a really good £200 ish for buildings and contents and that's on the Premium cover which covers bikes (no need to specify unless over £4000) away from the home and Worldwide! pretty competitive for us.

thegreatape
    Free Member

3 weeks. Moved in over a weekend, then was working away and the family were still in England. Came home and the floor was almost floating. Plumber found a dent in the rim of the tap the pipe screws onto. Radiator leak was during the cold spell at Christmas while we were 500 miles away. Radiator was off the wall for painting the room. Some thermo-something valve opened when it get really cold. Just bad luck really. If I was going to blag it there would have been a lot more damage than there was. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘M&S building & contents insurance quote £928!!!!’ is closed to new replies.