• This topic has 113 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Mrs Thatcher Funeral parties,
  • El-bent
    Free Member

But most / many of the people celebrating shown in the media (tv news etc) are clearly too young to have been affected by, or remember, the Thatcher era. They could do with a good long look in the mirror.

But as said earlier, we are all affected by the actions of the past, including her actions.

Is it moraly wrong to celebrate somebodies death in such a gratutious way, or in the year 2013 the way things are going to go for all politicians.

Well, celebrating the death of someone…I leave that up to personal choice, My view is people should not get an easy ride just because they have died, If people feel that strongly about it, I have no problem with this. Besides, what sort of trouble would we be in if we had stopped criticising someone like Stalin for instance, just because he’d died.

What I do take issue with is the current beautification and the airbrushing of Thatcher’s legacy. I know it’s the sycophantic press and her most ardent followers, but simply ignoring all her faults for which there were a great many, just makes them look more stupid in the long run.

piemonster

Ooh you are going to bitch about him on the internet when he’s dead?

It was a wry post

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well it’s one way to show you are “better” than them?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

She created deep divisions: North – South, rich – poor, industry – finance and tories – the rest. A celebration by the masses remembering all this might help to remind the tories not to make the same mistakes again.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

She’s been out of power for twenty three years, there have been two major and one minor recession, not to mention the various atrocious none conclusive military acts since then and the hole we are in now caused by her various successors of all political flavours.

Why are they doing it, i tried to explain to my 16 yr old daughter a potted history in the end I gave up and said it’s because they’re northerners and northerners always bear a grudge and always have a chip on their shoulders, she understood the truth of that.

yunki
    Free Member

there’s a rich vein of pompous twittery running through the forum from the lapdog community this week..

it’s becoming rather infuriating

Whatsoever therefore is consequent to a time or war where every man is enemy to every man, the same is consequent to the time wherein men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them withal. In such condition there is no place for industry, because the fruit thereof is uncertain, and consequently no culture of the earth, no navigation nor use of the commodities that may be imported by sea, no commodious building, no instruments of moving and removing such things as require much force, no knowledge of the face of the earth; no account of time, no arts, no letters, no society, and, which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death, and the life of man solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

— Hobbes

So perhaps we should celebrate wherever we can.. and certainly we should not pour scorn on those that have the wherewithal to celebrate where we ourselves fail to do so..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mostly it seems like people want to have the last word. Mostly comes across as very poor taste but as the keyboard warriors had said they wanted to do this for a long time I guess dome had to follow through.

Rejoicing in the death of an old lady seems like a hollow victory. Perhaps if this much energy had been put into opposition at the time things might have turned out differently.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

were you a miner?
    were you a trade unionist?
    did you lose your job because she privatised it?
    did you really lose out because of the poll tax?
    were you an terrorist shot in the face by the SAS?
    were you argentinian?

If you answered no to the above then you are revelling in the death of an old woman……..how would you like it when your granny dies that everyone started having parties, and she was probably a bit of a racist

deluded
    Free Member

rudebwoy – Member

always good to get together with like minded folk and have a party– we may not have money but we do know how to enjoy ourselves–

Frank Gallagher?

yunki
    Free Member

how would you like it when your granny dies that everyone started having parties

my Granny wasn’t hated by half the nation – I’m sure that if she was I would have steeled myself for the eventuality that there would be some display of emotion that would differ from mine upon her death

but as the keyboard warriors had said they wanted to do this for a long time I guess some had to follow through.

that is quite a narrow view of the world you have there..

I’m a keyboard warrior.. I won’t be out celebrating I’ll be home looking after the kids same as any other night, maybe a bit hung over still, as I’m going to a funeral on Monday..

The folk I know that will be celebrating aren’t keyboard warriors, probably wouldn’t have a clue what that expression means, don’t have internet connections in fact, wouldn’t understand the appeal of a forum, couldn’t give a fig for arguing with strangers

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t agree with them but can understand why folk still get het up about it after so long.
    This

Yes this is my view for many years I thought i would rejoice but i am a middle aged man with so much less hate and anger now. I despise what she did and stood for but she is dead so I neither mourn nor clebrate tbh

Lots of people who disagree with/”suffered under” Thatcher still know how to behave with respect and dignity.

I get your point [ cheers for what you said on the other thread BTW] but she was not exactly known for her respect for those she disagreed with – not even the wets in her own party never mind the actual left. I think there is also a bit of reap what you sow.

You can no more stop people partying that I can stop Tories and the right eulogising about her – fairy sure the coverage of her has outweighed the parties by a facto of about 23.75 hours per day judging by the near carpet news coverage.
    She polarised opinions in life she polarised opinion in death
    Freedom of speech means supporting those you oppose most and therefore each side should let the other do as they wish on that day. No one is beyond criticism however odious you find it and no one can stop praise no matter how odious they find it.

I shall spend the day trying to ignore both tbh

oldgit
    Free Member

how do you show ‘dignity and respect’ for someone who never showed you any, any case the wider picture is being re-played here– people are expressing their contempt for a system that has sought to crush us at every opportunity whilst enriching them selves and their lap dogs….

Thing is she brought freedom to so many, me included. When you say ‘us’ I assume you mean you were part of a union working in one of the many government supported loss making nationals back then. Everything was shit then for a man trying to get on. It was my time and then it seemed it was either her or the unions in power.
    You realize she was hated by the Tories don’t you. Basically she gave us;
    Wealth which the Tories hated, and freedom which the Unions hated.

I’m not political, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard the alternative options to closing amongst other things the massive loss making pits.
    The Nationals bought the country to it’s knees, yet we are still up in arms about their loss. Yet we have views on the banks doing the same.

Edit she also literally over night ended the power of the old boys in the city, the working class took over and the country boomed. far from any crushing she liberated.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Why are they doing it, i tried to explain to my 16 yr old daughter a potted history in the end I gave up and said it’s because they’re northerners and northerners always bear a grudge and always have a chip on their shoulders, she understood the truth of that.

well, aren’t you a clever clogs 😕

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY (pleasure 😉 ) hence my point about being better than them!

Nobby

I can just imagine the rest of the world watching these parties on the news & thinking that maybe, just maybe, the cantankerous old witch was right about some folk.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

rudebwoy – Member
    well, aren’t you a clever clogs

It’s a joke, we call it humour down south. Enjoy your funeral party, is it going to be a street party?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

oldgit– you must have been one of them lapdogs– us– is the working class who do not exploit our fellow kind, who help each other, not selfishly, but collectively–the opposite of what she and her kind stood/ stand for.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You realize she was hated by the Tories don’t you.

u missed the speeches in parliament then this week from the tories and the fact she was their leader then?

Basically she gave us;
    Wealth which the Tories hated, and freedom which the Unions hated.

She gave wealth to some and misery to some

we call it humour down south.

do you know any about races or women or the Irish then?
    Not hard to see why someone would be offended by that “humour”.
    I just think it is not very funny personally

yunki
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    hence my point about being better than them!

THM – that wasn’t really a point as such in the context of this thread – just a cryptic sentence

could you explain perhaps who ‘them’ are and why you feel that you need to be, and can be, better than them..?

grum
    Free Member

I think it’s pretty tasteless and a bit of a bandwagon, but I can understand why some would want to do it.

IMO it’s no more tasteless than incessantly **** on about someone as if they were a saint, when they were a friend/staunch supporter of mass murdering dictators (among many other awful other things).

She even had the temerity to claim Pinochet ‘brought democracy to Chile’. Er no, Pinochet was installed as a dictator after a CIA coup which removed the democratically elected leader.

tazzymtb

well, aren’t you a clever clogs

he won’t be wearing clogs he’s not a northener with access t walkley clog mill.

so really what you should have said is ” well aren’t you a slightly handy chap with a quip whilst attired in nice brogues”

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Someone who was far more articulate than me, once said this-

“The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it’s indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it’s indifference.”

Sums up my feelings on the subject.

richpips
    Free Member

the working class who do not exploit our fellow kind

Are you on methadone, or the proper stuff?

El-bent
    Free Member

Edit she also literally over night ended the power of the old boys in the city, the working class took over and the country boomed. far from any crushing she liberated.

Meanwhile, back in the real world…

Aside from a few east end barrow boys making it big.

grum
    Free Member

I’m not political, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard the alternative options to closing amongst other things the massive loss making pits.

Even if you agree with her decision to close the pits etc, she never showed for one second that she gave even the slightest little bit of a shit about the people whose lives and communities were ruined as a result.

Um……. 😕

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yunki, I am watching the Masters with only an eye on this, so the post was slow. My apparently cryptic sentence was in response to rudebwoys previous post. Even If you feel that no one treated you with respect, there is no need to act the same way. To suggest otherwise is pretty rude to those who know better IMO.

But each to their own – I was arguing earlier (not here) about why the BBC should play the ding ding song even though I think it is in poor taste.

oldgit
    Free Member

u missed the speeches in parliament then this week from the tories and the fact she was their leader then?

She wasn’t in power this week. She was ousted by her own party, back then when she actually mattered.

not selfishly, but collectively–the opposite of what she and her kind stood/ stand for.

Scargill was a Tory then? Lost three ballots and decided to make the miners strike even though they didn’t vote for it.

Believe me I’m working class, but unlike you I don’t have a ‘fellow kind’ every one is equal no matter their class.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

do you know any about races or women or the Irish then?
    Not hard to see why someone would be offended by that “humour”.
    I just think it is not very funny personally

Atcually it is a light hearted remark and the use of humour to overcome the fact that we as a family are pretty offended at the way you left people are acting the way your are, these twenty years after she wupped you into submission.
    If anyone is offended then it is I, perhaps you’d be good enough to apologise for suggesting I might be racist, another reach for condemnation for anyone who argues against your perceived dogma.
    Hell I disliked her as much as the next man, she did one good thing and lots of not so good, but then so do lots of politicians, no need to disrespect them like this all in the name of a failed political agenda.

Oh and I’ll thank you to apologise, or I will be pushing the report button.

piemonster

There happens to be a good example of what can be achieved over on the continent.

Junkyard
    Free Member

She wasn’t in power this week. She was ousted by her own party, back then when she actually mattered.

she was removed by her party because she could not win an election- I am not sure they hated her so much as they were ruthless in order to win an election [ and it worked]

EDIT:

Oh and I’ll thank you to apologise, or I will be pushing the report button.

The point I was making was that someone could do similar jokes about the groups mentioned and the groups would be offended.
    I dont think that post claims or even hints at the fact you are a racist and it was not my intention to do this. If that requires an apology you can have one but i dont think I have done this

I do not believe i have called you a racist and I do not think [ from what is posted here] that you are one, but I have said some “jokes” are offensive and the defence of humour does not always work

johndoh
    Free Member

No arguing with narrow minded people.

Someone has died. Can’t ever be a celebration.

grum
    Free Member

No arguing with narrow minded people.

Someone has died. Can’t ever be a celebration.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382652/Osama-Bin-Laden-dead-Pictures-USA-celebrating-death-Al-Qaeda-leader.html

Strangely the Daily Mail didn’t get all outraged about this celebration of someone’s death.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

THM– as isaid–there is a bigger picture than an old right wing zealot getting a send off for services to capitalism– she was very clear in her views– hated the working class– those on here and elsewhere who claim otherwise, are either deluded, self c entered, or both….

dannyh
    Free Member

People can do what they like. There’s no law against being petty and spiteful. There’s also no law against ignoring petty and spiteful people and actually getting on with your life.

It’s just down to self-respect, really.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

Even If you feel that no one treated you with respect, there is no need to act the same way. To suggest otherwise is pretty rude to those who know better IMO.

I’m just happy to celebrate the ultimate demise of ‘the bogeyman’ and don’t really see that there can be any harm in it..

No-one seems to be able to put forward an argument that gives any sort of fundamentally constructive reason for the negativity over the celebrations

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well each to their own, but I think dannyh sums it up perfectly

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Atcually it is a light hearted remark and the use of humour to overcome the fact that we as a family are pretty offended at the way you left people are acting the way your are, these twenty years after she wupped you into submission.

careful, your mask is slipping…

richpips
    Free Member

How old are you rudebwoy?

Did you do any union/manual work back then.

My experience as a grafter was they were full scale lazy wasters.

“Eh lad slow down, we’ve got all day to do that” – From the chargehand, not even from the proper lazy ****.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

i reckon it could become an annual event — like halloween or bonfire night…….. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Mrs Thatcher Funeral parties,’ is closed to new replies.