Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mrs. S is upset
  • stavromuller
    Free Member

Today her much battered but much loved Nissan Tino went to the scrapyard and she was absolutely gutted, in tears in fact. I think I might get a bit choked when my Marin goes to the Great Trail in the Sky but not my car. How would you feel about your motor being scrapped?

AD

I generally only scrap them when they’ve let me down once too often – so my mood is normally joyful at seeing the back of the damn thing…

binners

Bikes? Yes. Motor bikes? Certainly. Cars? No. I certainly can’t imagine getting upset at seeing the back of a Nissan 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I was quite upset when my Volvo Amazon went.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My last car so very nearly got scraped, but a ‘little’ £800 MOT meant I could sell it for £1300.

Frankly if the figures didn’t stack up I’d gladly paid extra to watch the **** being crushed -hateful, hateful pile of crap – my better half keeps reminding me that I bought it in a pit of financial despair and it got me to work for 12 months AND shocking MOT aside actualkt sold it for more than I paid for it, but it doesn’t change a thing – I hated that pile of shit and will NEVER buy another car from that manufacturer again, even though I know it’s not fair to judge them on a grands worth of banger, but still. Nope

Northwind

I was really happy to see my old Focus still driving around- I sold it as spares or repairs, wasn’t worth my time or money to fix it but it was my first car and shit as it was, we’d bonded.

My first motorbike got written off after I sold it, that made me sad

Mowgli
    Free Member

I gave my old 306 (Trevor) to a mate as I was going to be out the country for a few months. Was gutted to hear it’d failed it’s MOT and had been scrapped by the time I got back 🙁 It was noisy, smelly and in it’s later days pretty unreliable (Peugot electrics) but I loved how beaten up it was, and how I could chuck anything from muddy bikes to tree trunks for firewood in it without a care. Poor Trev. It was pretty quick too.

kcal

Previous car we owned – not from new mind – for 12 years, and while it was uninspiring in many ways, it carted us around for various holidays, got treated not very well, but was surprisingly adept vehicle, been pulled out of the quagmire at the ‘puffer, been ragged around Moray forest a bit, served well acrting us about to 10 Under several times fully loaded.. Was sad to see it go, in middle years I didn’t bother too much with it but it grew on me..

Even previous cars were sorry to see them go – 900S written off, Golf GTi sold to a mate, 205 GTI stolen.. Suspect won’t feel the same attachment to the Skoda but we’ll see..

Shred
    Free Member

My wife had an old, battered, unreliable Toyota corolla, in SA so no MOT.
    I went out and go her a nice little 2nd hand fiat punto as a surprise. It was also for me so I wasn’t so worried about her breaking down all the time.

She cried for about 2 days because she would have to get rid of her old car. Didn’t even say thank you 😕

benji
    Free Member

It’s an inanimate metal box on wheels, not even 650b wheels makes them come alive.

Now the bicycles that’s a totally different story.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Nope don’t get emotional over a car they are tools. Unless it was a desirable car.
    Motorbikes yes I have fond memories of my Honda CBR 125R which was my first ever brand new motorbike. It blew up on the M61 with oil everywhere in 2010 lasted 5 years with 35,000 miles on it.

My Hyosung GT250R really miss this bike and would love another one, sold to a mate who then flogged it for profit. Prick!

Mtb’s miss my Carrera Vulcan as it was a great little bike for £250.

Northwind

benji – Member

It’s an inanimate metal box on wheels,

It’s harder to believe this once you’ve owned a spiteful one tbh

mintimperial

I’d happily set my car on fire and roll it off a cliff, laughing merrily as I watched it die, if someone would just invent teleportation or something that enabled me to get rid of the bastard thing.

titusrider
    Free Member

Always miss my Alfas after they have gone.

They never fail to have character 😀

SaxonRider

Depends on the car, I suppose. I have a Volvo 740 that I used to cart my first children around in, and which carried us from one side of Canada to the other. I was sad to let that car go, and still miss it. Beyond that, though, I am fairly mercenary with cars.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not really, they are metal things. Bikes the same in the end.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I still miss my old Sierra Ghia estate. Ragged it up and down the country and blew the head gasket twice before putting it out to grass. Change of circumstances plus too much work required for MOT meant bye bye.

maccruiskeen

I had to scrap my car on chrismas eve once. Drove it to the scrapper and cycled home with £50 in my back pocket then spent the evening doing my best to ‘drink the car’

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve not yet had to actually scrap one, close but not quite, closest ever was our old Clio I bought for my GF as her first runabout after she passed her test.

Over the next few years it developed many minor weirdnesses (it was French after all), my favourite was an Oil Gauge that would only work when turning hard right, but turning hard left would cause ALL the dashboard lights to come ON but the speedo and rev counter to drop to zero.

Then one dark and stormy night we got caught in a flash flood on Dartmoor in it, drowned the poor little thing properly, resulting in what would have been a mildy amusing call to the AA had it not been past midnight and freezing:

AA: where are you?
    Us: On Dartmoor, on the road between between X and Y, about 1/2 way
    AA: hmmm, having trouble finding you on my map, did you pass any road signs?
    Us: No, we’re in the middle of the moor, no signs here
    AA: OK, can you see any landmarks?
    Us: Er, No
    AA: are you sure?
    Us: yep, pretty sure
    AA: Not even any shops or big buildings?
    Us: No, its gone midnight, and we are in the middle of Dartmoor, I can see the edge of the road, and a rock about 10 feet away with my torch!
    AA: Ah, so no shops or signposts?
    Us: @*!£$$%!

Anyway, after a very long wait and being towed home I left the poor thing in the road, bought another car and then about 6 weeks later finally got around to thinking about towing it to the scrappy, but decided to try and start it on the off chance, liberal application of WD40 and after a few goes it started!

ended up selling it for £300 to a lad who was doing an apprenticeship and wanted it as a project!

Despite it’s crapness we still miss it!

EDIT – it’s still going and taxed, I just checked on the DVLA site!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mrs. S is upset’ is closed to new replies.