Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Mrs Brown's Boys voted best sitcom of century
  • slowoldman

Spaced (well 1999-2001)
    Green Wing.

Cougar

Remembered it – “The Walshes”

Anyone see it?

Never heard of it, but that there in the middle there is Graham Linehan, writer of Father Ted, The IT Crowd etc, so it’s got a pedigree.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it only British shows allowed? Otherwise Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a clear winner for me, for so many reasons.

UK comedies…
    Fresh Meat
    IT Crowd
    Still Game (cannae wait)
    Phoenix Nights

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I like Mrs Browns Boys,it reminds me of old school comedy like Morecambe & Wise or Tommy Cooper,it’s formulaic in a pantomime way & as has been said, you can see the punchlines coming but I like it.
    I found The Office tedious yet lots of people thought it was laugh out loud funny.
    Best comedy this century? I.T Crowd,never understood why it wasn’t more successful.

doris5000

yeah Linehan wrote (or co-wrote) The Walshes. There were only 3 episodes, kind of a pilot half-series – I think they were waiting to see if it got enough traction before doing any more.

I liked it, but somehow it didn’t quite spark for me….

I have to say that (before he passed away a couple of years ago) my dad loved this, I’d genuinely not seen him laugh so much in years. For me there’s a real element of childhood visits to my nan’s house about it, classic matriarchal Irish Catholic family structure, I can see the atmosphere in my nan’s kitchen in it perfectly, even down to the kitchen cabinets and wallpaper in the early series, the housecoat, perfect – and with the pub scenes I can clearly remember my nan at the social with her friends, and picture the handbags, scarves and half pints of stout. So there’s some really clever stuff in there that has to be deliberate for a demographic who grew up with this.

yeah totally. This kind of thing helped Father Ted be so successful too – so many gentle references to Irish life in it that don’t really resonate with the English but helped it win over an Irish audience (that was pretty sceptical in the beginning, what with all the religion-bashing and all)

MSP

I would have gone for Coupling as my favourite so far, but seems to be largely forgotten about.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just as an aside…

WildHunter2009

Moist

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

hmmmm… where to start.

Not everything is for everyone. But I hate MBB. Almost anything I can think of is better.

American: Parks and rec, Community, 30 Rock, and Aziz ansari’s recent Master of none has been brilliant. And Bojack…

UK; Office, IT crowd, Fresh Meat, Josh, Uncle, Green Wing etc etc

My current favourite is Fleabag.

But MBB… 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting we have so many Still Game fans, as it does have a few similarities to MBB – including appeal across the age range.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It might be the humour of the familiar and thus why many miss it. I remember when I thought No Problem was the funniest thing on TV bit no one else seemed to get it. Sam with Desmond’s. For many *it’s funny because it’s true*. Only problem is that it might not be your reality. Maybe.

allan23
    Free Member

My current favourite is Fleabag.

Watched that the other night, expected it to be awful and ended up really enjoying it.

mudshark
    Free Member

would have gone for Coupling as my favourite so far, but seems to be largely forgotten about.

I did like that and watched some of it in again last year, the Welsh guy made it really and he left before the end. Green Wing and IT Crowd stand out for me – Still Game too, The Office I suppose but ended up liking the US version best really – after the 1st series that is.

Rather like Man Down at the moment.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Channel Four have been responsible for some cracking comedies. We’ve had Friday Night Dinner, Green Wing, Fresh Meat, The IT Crowd…and The Inbetweeners.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Another here who things MBB is sh**e. Got bored after about 2 episodes although Mrs Mainwaring likes it. Faves for me:

1) The Thick of It (I still re-watch it on Netflix)
    2) Still Game
    3) Gavin and Stacey
    4) Bluestone 42

For some reason I never watched the IT Crowd. Need to have a look judging by the popularity on here

chakaping
    Free Member

For some reason I never watched the IT Crowd. Need to have a look judging by the popularity on here

Yes do check it out. I almost envy you.

GrahamS

Popularity on here may directly correlate with the number of IT professionals on here 😀

Stevet1
    Free Member

Peep show
    Him & Her

molgrips
    Free Member

I am not a comedy snob, I have quite wide ranging tastes but MBB just didn’t make me laugh at all. Neither did Still Game – they both seemed painfully unoriginal. The Royle Family was a far better version of a kitchen sink comedy than MBB – clever, funny and touching.

I can appreciate that this might be because I have more Northern blood than Irish, and hence more cultural exposure. This is why after marrying a girl from the American Mid-West and spending time in her home town I can re-watch the Simpsons and understand it far better than I ever did before!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I live the Harry Hill Movie.

Harry Hill. More irritating than the aftermath of a midge-infested bivi in the Scottish highlands.

miketually
    Free Member

I’d guess the Venn diagram of Radio Times readers and Mrs Browns Boys fans has quite an overlap.

The set of people who like actual comedy is way over there somewhere ———->

DezB
    Free Member

Fresh Meat

Jeez the last series of that was baaad though!

DezB
    Free Member

Cougar –
    Never heard of it, but that there in the middle there is Graham Linehan, writer of Father Ted, The IT Crowd etc, so it’s got a pedigree.

Interesting!
    Well there you go then, all you nerds have a new comedy to check out thanks to me (It was on BBC2) 😀

tjagain

Molgrips – I suspect thats part of the issue with still game – it might be that you need to have a little knowledge and understanding of Scottish / glasgow culture to really get it.

Myself I like the banality and pathos of it – and its very acutely observed

donald
    Free Member

No love for Detectorists? I thought that was the best comedy I’ve seen in ages.

slowoldman

Crikey, how soon we forget. Detectorists. Yes.

alpin
    Free Member

Watched one episode of MBB as a colleague kept in about it. Had to switch it off half way through. As above, the obvious jokes, in-your-face/know-what’s-coming and the “oh we made a mistake” got on my breasts.

For me….
    Peep Show
    Thick of It
    The Office
    People Just doing Nothing
    Inbetweeners

colournoise

Can’t stand MBB. Nor Miranda. Nor any other mainstream sitcom that ‘knowingly’ nods back to those of the 70s (except for one mentioned below).

For me (and I seem to be typical STW demographic here)…

Spaced
    The IT Crowd
    Inbetweeners
    Man Down
    The Mighty Boosh
    House of Fools
    Friday Night Dinner – funniest thing on right now
    Raised by Wolves

slowoldman

Looking on the bright side, by the time 2099 rolls around it won’t be the best sitcom of the century. Will it?

chakaping
    Free Member

Need to try Detectorists, heard good things about it.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Not bothered by Mrs Brown, but I find it surprising that People Just Do Nothing has only had one mention on here so far. It’s utter genius.

Something I actively avoided at the time it came out, simply because of all the trendy young things gushing about it, was Nathan Barley. Just watched it properly for the first time, and it is brilliant. In fact, I’m struggling to think of something that Chris Morris, Charlie Brooker, Peter Baynham etc are involved with, that isn’t.

Peep Show, I’ve just never clicked with t. Just find it irritating and get bored with it very quickly.

miketually
    Free Member

Spaced
    The IT Crowd
    Inbetweeners
    Man Down
    The Mighty Boosh
    House of Fools
    Friday Night Dinner – funniest thing on right now
    Raised by Wolves

This reads like a list of comedy that I love, but I’ve not watched the last two, so I’ll have to check those out.

Something I actively avoided at the time it came out, simply because of all the trendy young things gushing about it, was Nathan Barley. Just watched it properly for the first time, and it is brilliant.

I rewatched it last year, having watched it and liked it at the time, and if anything it seems even more relevant today than it did then when self-facilitating media nodes were probably more of a London thing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Edit -Wrong century!

Durr.

samunkim
    Free Member

Have sat thru a couple of MMB’s – not even nearly funny.

But

“Mongrels” was fantastic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongrels_(TV_series)

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Edit -Wrong century!

Durr.”

😆

I was about to post ‘Blackadder is so last century’, before you edited your post.

I’ll post it anyway so that others can know the stupidity of your error. 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

Blackadder still trumps anything this century though so worth saying. Besides, there was the millennium episode/feature, though that was a bit crap.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ll post it anyway so that others can know the stupidity of your error.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Blackadder still trumps anything this century though”

Very subjective. I don’t see other good comedy as inferior, just different.

One sitcom I really didn’t understand the popularity of over here, was Friends. And a lot of 80s + 90s US ‘comedy’. The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince, Rosanne etc I didn’t find at all ‘funny’. Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm though were brilliant.

BoardinBob

If you go back through the TV GO HOME archives, some of the outlandish ideas Brooker had, actually became reality!

dannyh
    Free Member

Mrs Brown’s Boys voted best sitcom of century

Is quite frankly the saddest indictment of:

The people ‘surveyed’.
    The state of British TV.

It is utter bilge and about as funny as watching paint dry. On hospital TV.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Mrs Brown's Boys voted best sitcom of century’ is closed to new replies.