Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MR2 Bike Rack Experience?
  • whatgoesup

We’re just hunting for an MR2 as a cheap’n’cheerful second car runaround / bit of fun and so I was wondering whether anyone has had one and what bike rack solution they used?

Usual strap on bike racks look like they work OK, but it looks like there is an interesting option using the (dual) towing eyes as mounting points to make a rigid rack.

(Edit: I’m talking about the mk3, you know the convertible “hairdressers car” one… )

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I love mine, its been much more fun than the mx5’s it has replaced. To be honest good ones are getting hard to find, I really wanted a 3.5 but the cherished ones were going for over book. Finally found a mk3 with 2 owners the first owner seemed to cover 10k in 3 years while the second I met in the Toyota owners club and bought the car off him. The 3.5 face lifted ones are the puck of the bunch with fogs and improved oil consumption. I haven’t tried getting a bike in/on it, so sorry I can’t help. Very enjoyable car to drive and very well made, you won’t regret buying one just wait for a good one & this is a good time to buy.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

anything is possible if you’re a bit handy with the tools….

this might help: click me

whatgoesup

Thanks, I’m after a 3.5 if I can find a loved one – the only problem is that mrswsf wants a mettalic grey one which is rather rare making a tricky job harder.

Thanks Rob, yep that bike rack is the one I saw, and given a bit of spare time would be the plan – preferably a QR version, with some form of bracing at the top – maybe from an engine cover mounted luggage rack, or maybe from the hardtop mounting points.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The grey (thunder grey iirc) are rare as, sympathy for you. Look cool though

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Miss my Mr 2 cost me 18k back in 2000 but was worth it just dont go shopping in it

whatgoesup

Got one!
    Mettalic Grey with red leather seats & red roof – fantastic little car, it’s like driving around in a go-kart…

Now to figure out the bike rack. There are two substantial threaded towing points lower down that are just asking to have a bike rack mounted to them, but I’d want a top mount as well to get rid of the massive bending moment that would be put through them when going over potholes / wind forces on the bike.

I’ll post some pics when (if) it’s done!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MR2 Bike Rack Experience?’ is closed to new replies.