Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • mr gove
  • nickhart
    Free Member

yes lower case for a lower case specimen.
    the bbc say that he’d be happy for parents to go into schools to help keep them open during the strike.
    the strike brings mixed emotions for me as a teacher but also as a child of the original teachers strike way back when and i won’t be drawn on it. BUT if he’s happy for parents to go in to schools is he saying he is happy for possibly non qualified people with no CRB (criminal record bureau) check to be left with our kids.
    sorry but as a parent that doesn’t make any sense to me, as a teacher it makes me annoyed. it’s equivalent to saying he’d be happy for anyone to go in to work as a copper if the police went on strike!
    discuss…….

donsimon
    Free Member

Again?

scaredypants

CBA on the “discussion” but if it acts like a tosser and talks like a tosser, chances are ….

Farmer_John
    Free Member

“is he saying he is happy for possibly non qualified people with no CRB (criminal record bureau) check to be left with our kids.”

Given that the “qualified” people who we pay to take care of our kids would rather take the day off why shouldn’t parents help out?

oldnpastit

Well, I know this much.

It turns out that if you’re married to a teacher, you shouldn’t ask them if it’s OK for your take-home pay to be cut in order to keep their retirement benefits the same.

miketually
    Free Member

Given that the “qualified” people who we pay to take care of our kids would rather take the day off why shouldn’t parents help out?

They’re not taking the day off, they’re striking. These are two different things.

When striking, you are not paid. When taking a days leave, you are paid. The reason you’re paid, by the way, is probably because of people in the past striking.

Parents helping out is a great idea, just not in school. If people talked to their kids’ friends’ parents, they could probably arrange childcare between them without anyone having to take time off work.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you shouldn’t ask them if it’s OK for your take-home pay to be cut in order to keep their retirement benefits the same.

after a long day answering stupid questions from people less informed than you when you get home you just want a break from it.
    You are not the current agreement says that any shortfall will be met by teachers rather than taxpayers. I suspect she has told you this more than once.

Asked whether he was suggesting that parents should go in to take lessons on Thursday, he said: “Well, parents going in to help certainly.”

He said otherwise there would be “massive inconvenience” for working families – particularly single parents who would have to find childcare at short notice.
    Yep going in to school to teach rather than working is bound to help me out Cheers for the advice.

oldnpastit

Mr Gove said the Government would ”do everything possible to make sure schools stay open” with arrangements which could see ”parents going in to help”.

That’s a pretty stupid thing to say. There’s no way I’m going in to help; it’s hard to know where to start with all the problems with this. Public liability insurance would be a good start though, and go on from there.

oldnpastit

”parents going in to help”.

Actually now I think about it, it sounds like a great idea. I’m going to go in on Thursday and teach those kids a thing or two. I’ve watched plenty of heart-warming films about off-beat teachers turning around kids from the ‘hood with their quirky sense of humour and unusual approach to teaching. I think I’m ideally qualified.

Quick question: can I assume that if I’m (obviously wrongly) accused of assaulting a child then the NUT will handle my case and ensure that I don’t spend months arguing about it in court? If I take them swimming, and a few of them drown, is there a lot of paperwork to fill out, or will Mr Gove sort that one out for me?

geoffj

They’re not taking the day off, they’re striking. These are two different things.

They are withdrawing their labour for the day, which in my book is taking a day off. Whether they are paid or not is irrelevant.

The reason you’re paid, by the way, is probably because of people in the past striking.

Eh?

Parents helping out is a great idea, just not in school. If people talked to their kids’ friends’ parents, they could probably arrange childcare between them without anyone having to take time off work.

Leave my kids with parents that aren’t CRB checked 😯 How do I know if they have the correct level of Public Liability Insurance ❓

easygirl

They are not taking the day off, they are exercising their right to strike, which will be a thing of the past if this Tory government has it’s way.
    The teachers are being threatened with a massive degradation of their benefits and I support them

5thElefant
    Free Member

Parents looking after kids? Without qualifications and certificates?

You’ll be allowing people to conceive without the proper H&S documentation next.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Looking after other peoples kids.

its just utter nonsense from gove – no headmaster should let parents who have not been checked into the school to “help” in any capacity. A head who does would be in breach of their duty towards the children

-m-
    Free Member

Looking after other peoples kids.

its just utter nonsense from gove – no headmaster should let parents who have not been checked into the school to “help” in any capacity. A head who does would be in breach of their duty towards the children

Not intended as any view on what has been suggested, but many primary schools actively encourage parents (and anyone else that’s willing) with the time and inclination (and sometimes particular skills/interests/experience) to come in and help out in lessons on a regular basis. Such people will have been CRB checked.

Just to be clear… that’s not to say they have the skills or experience necessary to supervise groups of children on their own, just that they may not be complete unknown quantities 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Not intended as any view on what has been suggested, but many primary schools actively encourage parents (and anyone else that’s willing) with the time and inclination (and sometimes particular skills/interests/experience) to come in and help out in lessons on a regular basis. Such people will have been checked.

Away with you and your real world experiences, I would be grateful if you could, however, support this with facts otherwise I’ll just have to put my fingers in my ears and go “la-la-la-la” to demonstrate that I’m ignoring you or until you get bored.
    Could you also refrain from posting things that might be considered to be simple propoganda by a fool, irrespective of truth.

-m-
    Free Member

Away with you and your real world experiences, I would be grateful if you could, however, support this with facts otherwise I’ll just have to put my fingers in my ears and go “la-la-la-la” to demonstrate that I’m ignoring you.

I’ve been CRB checked by a primary school. And would be absolutely hopeless in charge of a group of children. Even my own.

😉

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

This used to happen regularly. My mother used to help out at a local primary, no CRB checks, no teaching quals. She helped teach children who were falling behind with their reading.

How would a head ‘be in breach of their duty towards the children’?

Adult histrionics are more detrimental to child development/welfare/education.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

JacksonPollock – Member

This used to happen regularly. My mother used to help out at a local primary, no CRB checks, no teaching quals. She helped teach children who were falling behind with their reading.

Used to being the operative word – nowadays you must be CRB checked I believe.

How would a head ‘be in breach of their duty towards the children’?

By giving adults who have not been checked and appropriately trained contact with children in their care. The adults will not be insured without basic training and must be CRB checked to have unsupervised access to children

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Probably a good idea if Mr Gove had a day off and the public went in and helped out, that goes for the other 600 or so of his colleagues

Teachers have every right to exercise their right to strike, must say I was a bit surprised they got two thirds final salary as a pension thought I was doing ok on fifty percent (which was frozen in 2009)

My missus is a science tech in a school and their pension is nowhere near as generous and already have to work until sixty five for it

Fair enough not wanting to give up your terms and conditions, not sure public opinion is with the teachers though

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sounds like a good opportunity to scrap CRB.

geoffj

I do plenty of helping out in the local primary (Scotland). This has included taking groups of 6 or so on my own for bike maintenance classes and listening to kids read in the classroom. I’ve never been CRB checked, nor has it been suggested that I should have been. As long as there is someone who has the relevant quals / checks in the vicinity then there is no problem.

And the head of the school is a H&S / Data Protection / Rulez nazi.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Geoff – thats OK if you are supervised – however what Gove is suggesting is that the parents could be unsupervised as they would be no one to supervise them

geoffj

They are not taking the day off, they are exercising their right to strike

They are exercising their right to withdraw their labour. They are not going to be working that day. They are taking the day off.

It will interesting to see how many you see on a picket line.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Surley a heads duty first and foremost is to ensure the effective education of the children…starting with keeping the establishment open while the teachers scrike, sorry, strike.

We also have some very high profile evidence that the CRB and vetting systems do not work.

geoffj

TJ, you are right. The issue is around the definition of ‘unsupervised’. There will be some teachers and appropriately qualified / checked individuals (classroom assistants) who will be in the mix to allow the checking of the supervised box – I would imagine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The head has a resposibility to keep the kids safe.

How you think allowing untrained adults unsupervised into schools

is to ensure the effective education of the children

its only ‘cos Gove is really stupid he even suggested this – no thought into it at all.

donsimon
    Free Member

Geoff – thats OK if you are supervised – however what Gove is suggesting is that the parents could be unsupervised as they would be no one to supervise them

In the best traditions of STW, could you provide a linky to where he said this?
    Gove is suggesting or Gove is saying?

allthepies
    Free Member

<awaits radio silence from TJ towers>

5thElefant
    Free Member

The head has a resposibility to keep the kids safe.

How you think allowing untrained adults unsupervised into schools

is to ensure the effective education of the children
    its only ‘cos Gove is really stupid he even suggested this – no thought into it at all.
    I doubt that’ll be the reaction of your average voter. An obvious and simple solution without the usual nanny-state hysteria.

wingnuts

Tijuana Taxi – Brilliant! I can I have the treasury while you sort education?

Northwind

don simon – Member

In the best traditions of STW, could you provide a linky to where he said this?
    Gove is suggesting or Gove is saying?

Seems to be logic. He wants the parents to go in because the teachers aren’t there, therefore, the teachers won’t be supervising them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

indeed Northwind. Simple isn’t it.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

I do understand TJ, I was being deliberately obtuse to make the wider point about CRB/certs checks etc. being ineffective.

geoffj

If they have been vetted by the Criminal Records Bureau, parents could take over classes.

So CRB checked – yes, adequately trained – who knows.

wingnuts

I think (aside from all the risks- legal etc) that we should let parents go in and do it for a few days. Let’s see how they feel about fronting up to kids day in day out. Might change perception of the profession.

donsimon
    Free Member

In an unprecedented step in relations between the Government and trade unions, the Secretary of State for Education said that classrooms threatened with closure could remain open if head teachers used the “wider school community” – including pupils’ parents – to teach lessons.

Some head teachers have written to parents asking them to consider, if they have been vetted by the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB), volunteering to ensure lessons go ahead, Whitehall sources claimed yesterday.

From the Independant.
    Firstly, there will be headteachers who could act in a supervisory role, plus the non-striking teachers.
    Secondly, the request is for CRB vetted parents.
    Thirdly, it’s a suggestion and not an order or instruction.
    Hardly the doom and gloom you’re portraying TJ. Or is this just more propoganda for the fools to soak up, or is the narrow minded one the fool?

geoffj

I think (aside from all the risks- legal etc) that we should let parents go in and do it for a few days. Let’s see how they feel about fronting up to kids day in day out. Might change perception of the profession.

Oh FFS. There is no doubt that being a teacher is a difficult and demanding job. I certainly couldn’t do it, but then I didn’t train to do it, and I don’t receive the remuneration and benefits that they do.
    We are living longer and we need to make public sector savings. Its not difficult to see where the cuts may be best targeted.

DS – easy with the narrow minded fool comments. TJ maybe a lot of things, but he is neither narrow minded or a fool.

project
    Free Member

3 things ,
    gove comes over as more ranting than me,it wont work, whos going to keep an eye on the dodgy shifty ,thieving , unemployed parents

2, SO even if the parents do have CRB checks whats to say theyre not going to abuse the kids in some way, seems to be a few teachers get caught for it.

3, if the bin and recycling drivers go on strike, can i be a lgv driver for the day

donsimon
    Free Member

DS – easy with the narrow minded fool comments. TJ maybe a lot of things, but he is neither narrow minded or a fool.

Maybe not, but it is a line he’s happy to trot out for anyone who has a view slightly out of line than his, so I thought I’d get it in first. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘mr gove’ is closed to new replies.