Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mr Calzaghe
  • djflexure

Brushed it off as probably too crap to watch initially. I gave it a go tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Really enjoyed how they told his story and had strip down memory lane to boot. I know that there are a few fight fans on here who might like it too.
    Four and a half stars

loddrik
    Free Member

Where was it on?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is he the one that folds the pizza?

djflexure

Where was it on?

It was on iTunes unfortunately. Think my BT box has it too (might be wrong).

Is he the one that folds the pizza?

The only thing that was folding was the opposition.

mooman
    Free Member

It’s quite quite funny really how they are trying to rewrite history, because for most of his career, he had very few fans – even in his own home town.

He was hugely talented. But his attitude left a lot to be desired.

djflexure

Funny – but the story I heard was an exact opposite of what you describe. They painted a picture of an isolated family with an isolated, bullied kid – not masses of fans. The popularity seemed to come late on, after the Kessler fight, which I think is probably accurate.

Don’t remember his attitude being particularly poor – sure he was singleminded and self-orientated. Plenty of pro’s seemed happy to speak well of him and Kessler seemed genuinely friendly.

jimjam
    Free Member

There are/were a lot more unpleasant fighters than Calzaghe. I always thought he was a class act. He did the right thing quitting when he was at the top too, even when Froch was saying anything he could to try and ride Calzaghe’s coattails which was pathetic imo.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

i always thought he was the new kid on the block after winning and retiring eubank. It was post eubank /benn rivalry and maybe the general move of boxing to to sky after years being shown on terrestrial.

I stayed up to watch the memorable fight with Lacy which was amazing considering the build up of Lacy. I’ll keep an eye out for the film

Pigface
    Free Member

He comes from 2 miles up the road from where I grew up, to be honest nobody bothered him to much. I have never met him but have got friends who knew him and went to school with him. A few people would say he was arrogant but that goes with the game he was in. There was another boxer called Price locally who with his brothers antics was much more talked about.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mr Calzaghe’ is closed to new replies.