Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • MP3 Player That's Not Apple?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m looking for an MP3 player that doesn’t cost the earth and isn’t an iPod.

I’ve got rid of my Macbook and am now back to using a Windows PC and an Android phone. I was just wondering if there’s something other than an iPod that’s worth looking at. Not looking to spend a fortune if possible.

Also, does anyone know of any MP3 players that are compatible with Spotify? I may have to just pick up a cheap Android phone and use it as an MP3 player but looking for other options at the moment.

Mackem

Sony walkman?

stuey
    Free Member

Old ipod with ‘rockbox’ OS installed?

prawny

I’ve got a Sansa clip. It’s ok, but I wouldn’t want loads of files on it or itd be a PITA to navigate.

New Sony one looks good, and is Bluetooth, so you can still use wireless earphones, which are a must have for me these days.

13thfloormonk

I’ve got an old Sony, ten years and it’s still going strong, just a shame it’s only 1gb.

The new ones look quite different but my dad has one and it looks lovely, much more capacity and nice controls/interface.

Not cheap any more though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Big memory card in your phone? Or do you need another gadget?

CountZero

Pick up an Android phone with as much storage as you can, then install the Onkyo HF music player app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onkyo.jp.musicplayer&hl=en
    I use it on my iPhone, it sits in the bottom main app bar, and it’s my primary music app. It’ll play FLAC files on an iPhone, it has a pretty good equaliser if you want to tweak the sound for different ‘phones, and the cross-fade is superb, it does just about the best fades between songs I’ve come across. It just works really well.
    Oh, and there’s a Windows Phone version, if you can find a cheap Windows device with loads of storage capacity, or a card slot that’ll take a high-capacity SDXCMicro card, same goes for Android as well.
    http://windowsphoneapks.com/APK_Onkyo-HF-Player-Trial_Windows-Phone.html

midlifecrashes

Another Sansa Clip user here, very happy with it, though I listen to full albums through usually, I don’t know how they are with all that playlist malarkey, they take a big microSD card, decent battery life, weigh nowt and the new models have bluetooth.

P-Jay
    Free Member

A Zune?

Cougar

I’m confused. Android and Windows both play music quite happily. What’s stopping you from using what you’ve got, have I misunderstood the question?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I was looking for an MP3 player that wasn’t my phone, mainly so I didn’t wreck my phone using it in a jersey pocket when I’m out on the bike or on the turbo.

Having done a bit of looking about it would appear that the best bet will be to stick with my phone and put a bigger SD card in it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mainly so I didn’t wreck my phone using it in a jersey pocket when I’m out on the bike or on the turbo.

Waterproof phone or a case, then.

Toasty

I use a little Sansa Clip, swapped more recently to the Sport one. The main selling point being it doesn’t use my phone battery and I can carry it without needing my Camelbak. Supposedly 24 hours battery life. Navigation isn’t the best, as above, I normally just play by folder.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

On second thoughts….

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

i’m a big fan of the ipod shuffle (bear with me) for its ease of use voice over playlist navigation while running and riding but find it too small in capacity and would like something spotify compatible.
    a few weeks ago i came across this new device whilst researching the subject.
    https://bemighty.com/products/mighty

not taken the plunge yet but tempted.

nickc

it does just about the best fades between songs I’ve come across

how one track finishes and the next starts is an important feature for you? 😕 Nowt as queer as folk…

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ve been using these style Sony ones for the past forever, they’re great as they’re pretty bombproof with no screen to shatter or metal casing to worry about. I take it riding and on holiday etc.

The sound is pretty good also, as long as you replace the headphones that come with it.

Looks like this is the current iteration:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZ-B183B-Walkman-MP3-Player/dp/B00ICI7H4Y/

allfankledup

I use my phone, stuck in a bag to protect it, hooked up to bluetooth headphones. I download Spotify onto the SD card and listen to it offline. This avoids any issues with data being consumed at the time of playing. Works for me, ymmv

CountZero

nickc – Member
    it does just about the best fades between songs I’ve come across
    how one track finishes and the next starts is an important feature for you? Nowt as queer as folk…

Yeah, and why should you care?
    I don’t listen to whole albums on my phone, it’s always on shuffle, and there can be different gaps due to how the songs were mastered, the Onkyo app does a brilliant job of neatly fading each track into the next, which I find just improves the listening experience.
    If I had my entire music library on my phone or pad, and listened to whole albums, I wouldn’t use it, but I haven’t and I do.
    Although why I’m wasting my time even bothering to explain is quite beyond me. 🙄

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’ve been following mighty audio on kickstarter, spotify compatible and they’ve just started shipping. Android app due “soon”.
    Which is why i haven’t yet bought one.

twisty

If the OP has an android phone then why not just use your Android phone? Sound quality? or do you need waterproofness/Weight for sports?
    If it is for the latter then how about a tomtom spark/runner watch?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘MP3 Player That's Not Apple?’ is closed to new replies.