Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 362 total)
  • MP shot and stabbed in Birstall, W Yorks
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If anyone of any stripe tries to make political capital out of this it places them beyond the pale.

Avoid social media.

footflaps

That’s (IRA) terrorists for you

I’d forgotten all but one, Airey Neave, and Tebbit’s wife; but that was all I could recall.

dannyh
    Free Member

Avoid social media.

Generally speaking, I do.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The question we should all be asking ourselves is “How did we get here?”.

I still can’t get beyond the fact that two small children are never going to see their mother again.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s undoubtedly the most important point here, and sadly one which is likely to be lost on some people. 🙁

CHB

Such sad news and disturbingly local to me. All I can say is that my thoughts go to the family. No matter what your politics, we do not do this crap in our country.

grahamt1980

PJM that is the most significant bit, and a husband is now a widower.

kimbers

If anyone of any stripe tries to make political capital out of this it places them beyond the pale.

As he was apparently shouting ‘Britain First’ as he killed a prominent Remain MP, who had been sailing against Farige on a boat with her family on the Thames yesterday, you are being very naive if you think that this will not influence the referendum debate and beyond

dannyh
    Free Member

The question we should all be asking ourselves is “How did we get here?”.

I still can’t get beyond the fact that two small children are never going to see their mother again.

The first question has so many possible answers it is almost pointless.

My attempt:

Because we are a proud democracy our politicians don’t have to go around with a small army in tow and so random nutters are always likely to pose a threat.

The second statement is what any sane-minded person should be thinking. Even when the children are old enough to understand what has happened, the ‘why’ will be with them forever.

dannyh
    Free Member

you are being very naive if you think that this will not influence the referendum debate

I didn’t say that. It will have an effect, but if anyone actually courts it then that is wrong.

zippykona

Hug your loved ones tonight and hopefully it will spread.
    R.I.P.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

he was apparently shouting ‘Britain First’

No evidence of this. Most current reports indicate that she intervened in an argument/street brawl and came out on the wrong side with terrible results.

Until there is any evidence that this was in any way politically motivated, let’s just remember that key piece above – Two children lost a mother, a husband lost a wife, and many people lost a friend.

garage-dweller

Dannyh I think that’s a good comment and another +1 for Nick Robinson’s words quoted by Robdob on page2.

jambalaya
    Free Member

you are being very naive if you think that this will not influence the referendum debate

How though ? A guy with mental health issues murders an MP with a homemade illegal weapn. Even if he did shout Britain First they are not part of any major Leave campaign. I can’t see Remain using this for any campaign purposes.

Northwind

kimbers – Member

As he was apparently shouting ‘Britain First’

This hasn’t been reliably established.

aracer
    Free Member

The BBC report now says: ‘One eyewitness told the BBC they heard her attacker shout “put Britain first” at least twice beforehand.’ – though unlike other accounts the eyewitness isn’t named. The reports from other people appear to be conflicting.

I suspect the best thing is just to avoid speculating too much for now – do you think we can manage that?

SaxonRider

I suspect the shooter has mental health issue based on the information from Channel 4 news.

This is what I would have assumed from the beginning. Regardless of what he shouted, it just seems like the actions of someone who was suffering paranoid hallucinations.

Importantly, such issues do not constitute any sort of excuse; they simply represent a possible reason. And sometimes reasons help us understand and begin to make some sense of terrible tragedies.

In the end, though, it is just such a waste of a beautiful life.

bex
    Free Member

Know the area well. Speechless.

tenfoot

Absolutely awful. I feel so sad for the children.

rkk01
    Free Member

From the Spectator

So, no, Nigel Farage isn’t responsible for Jo Cox’s murder. And nor is the Leave campaign. But they are responsible for the manner in which they have pressed their argument. They weren’t to know something like this was going to happen, of course, and they will be just as shocked and horrified by it as anyone else.

But, still. Look. When you encourage rage you cannot then feign surprise when people become enraged. You cannot turn around and say, ‘Mate, you weren’t supposed to take it so seriously. It’s just a game, just a ploy, a strategy for winning votes.’
    Day of Infamy

v8ninety

RIP. So **** tragic and pointless 🙁

rickmeister

This

Until there is any evidence that this was in any way politically motivated, let’s just remember that key piece above – Two children lost a mother, a husband lost a wife, and many people lost a friend.

Social media is politicising this already without clear facts of what happened or motive, drawing together suppositions to make a story or crate an angle.

So very sad for the dad and kids.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tribute from a houseboat neighbour

link

olddog

If you are interested the telegraph having put together a timeline as they see it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/jo-cox-murder-how-democracys-darkest-day-in-decades-unfolded/

The thing in this piece is the reactions of ordinary people, the old fella trying to stop the attack, the workers from the cafe running out to help Jo Cox with towels.

The thought of the kids and husband is really heart wrenching, as others say it is a personal tragedy

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

All very sad thoughts with her family and friends

Now is not the time, but will short comings in mental health services have impacted on the sad outcome today

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t like Nigel Farage but can we not use this thread to attack him.

R.I.P. Jo Cox

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When I agree with Ernest, you just know it’s right.

(I also dislike Farage, so that’s a double on agreeing with Ernest, so think on that!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

this isn’t the thread for politics,

And yet…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FFS! STOP IT. Please?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think her husbands tribute said it all – that hate is nothing to do with politics, religion or race. This guy was probably set off on a course towards murder a long time ago and could have chosen any reason to ‘justify’ his actions. Terrible shame and shocking.

slowoldman

chewkw Where on Earth did you get that from?

mashiehood
    Free Member

ffs – when does this end, i no longer feel safe or proud to be living on this island. when did we become so hateful

v8ninety

Everyone. Please heed those that say leave the politics out of this thread. This talk will come, I’m sure. But NOT here, not now. It’s just not right, it’s disrespectful. At least let the dust settle, and start a different, ‘intellectual discussion of the implications’ (optimistic I know) thread tomorrow, maybe?

ninfan
    Free Member

+1

MSP

ffs – when does this end, i no longer feel safe or proud to be living on this island. when did we become so hateful

Murder rates has dropped nearly every year over the past 16 years, the general trend is definitely down.

http://www.citizensreportuk.org/reports/murders-fatal-violence-uk.html

This case seems to be a man with mental issues. What I am wondering is if those issues have lead him to take this action alone, or if they have made him vulnerable to being manipulated by others.

dannyh
    Free Member

This thread has degenerated in a way I thought I wouldn’t see on STW.

As the sensible people have said, at least take a moment to think about the family.

Then, a couple of people here really do need to put the laptop/tablet down and go to the nearest mirror. Have a look, then hopefully pack in with the agenda. At least for a day or so.

Goodnight.

igm

I think there has been a lot of dignity shown today.

Both camps in the referendum suspended operations, which seems right and proper.

Serious politicians generally (I think exclusively but there may be an exception I haven’t spotted) have been quick to praise and slow to speculate or blame.

And her husband, now widower, has acted with remarkable dignity and restraint, and in doing so honours her memory well, with his comments on race, creed and hate.

Let us act with similar dignity if we have it in us.

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    chewkw Where on Earth did you get that from?

Just the general ways some people are trying to create or to link the blame to …

jambalaya
    Free Member

In fairness to @chew it was @kimbers who suggested the murder would inevitably have an impact on the Referendum

This thread has degenerated in a way I thought I wouldn’t see on STW.

IMO this place is quite bad for exactly this sort of behavour, sadly,

RIP, young talented woman, I am sure a much loved mother and wife.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 362 total)

The topic ‘MP shot and stabbed in Birstall, W Yorks’ is closed to new replies.