Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mozine v Livigno. Change of scenery and emphasis perhaps?
  • rockhopper70

I and usually a group of six or so, have done Morzine around five times now. Aside from last year being a washout, it remains good fun but Livigno seems to have built up a head of steam around their marketing and promoting biking.
    The trails are, it appears, more flowy than gnar which could well suit a group of *older* riders.
    Anyone been, or planning on going can offer any comments.
    I think it is a flight into Milan then a 2hour transfer so around the same travel time as Morzine perhaps.

This is all thinking waaaaaaay ahead for the 2016 summer trip.

legend
    Free Member

Have you considered a trip out to Bourg St Maurice or Les Arcs with The White Room or Trail Addiction respectively? Sounds right up your street with a ma-hoo-sive selection of flowy singletrack trails to ride.

In true STW style, I have nothing to say about Livigno or course 🙂

rockhopper70

no!, but thanks for the pointer.

jim
    Free Member

I went to Livigno a fews years ago and there was good riding to be had then, and by the sound of things there has been a fair bit of development since. Cheap food/drink/ice cream too.

However a 2 hour transfer sounds highly optimistic, it’s pretty much in the middle of nowhere (at least by European standards).

torsoinalake
    Free Member

However a 2 hour transfer sounds highly optimistic, it’s pretty much in the middle of nowhere (at least by European standards).

This. It’s not easy to get to.

It’s an odd place – duty free, so is essentially a strip mall along the bottom of a valley (in an Alpine stylee). Was there a few summers ago for about 3 days. Didn’t use the bike park, and found the trails around the valley very variable. I would like to go back to explore the area more.

Stelvio is just down the road. This looks good: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-ridden-off-the-top-of-the-stelvio-back-to-livigno

zero-cool
    Free Member

If you go I’d be interested in what’s there. Due to work commitments we can get out to Europe until 30th August so most things (apart from Chatel and Lex Gets are closed). But Livigno is opens later so we thought we’d head there after a warm up in the PDS to get up to speed.

Also anyone been to Pila recently as they’re open a bit later than Les agents as well.

Tom KP

chakaping
    Free Member

Doubt pila has changed much since I was there in 2013. Superb destination with great trails. Quite dh focused.

Also consider verbier for later lifts (confirm that though).

Ideally do both in one trip.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is a world of riding out there other than PdS. Posting this from Verbier having ridden Chamonix last week. I would say if the group is amenable start researching some guided holidays, they offer great value with food, booze and the guides and uplifts let you access areas you may not find or won’t reach via a lift system.

As per the posts above I’d suggest something around Bourg, either Trail Addiction or White Room. FYI I am 52 and my mates here a bit older than that

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Can’t comment on Livigno but I’ve been to Morzine a couple of times & I was in Les Arcs the other week with Trail Addiction.
    From my experience there’s a massive difference between Morzine & Les Arcs,Les Arcs is more technical trail riding with very technical & steep switchbacks.
    Morzine feels more like a big trail centre,they’re both fun but different.
    I’m an old fart (54 earlier this week) and I plan on going back to both next year 😀

BFITH
    Free Member

a group of *older* riders.

Speak for yourself – as old Twainy once said “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter” 😉
    Definitely on for next year then? Finally over the horror of Mudzine?

zero-cool
    Free Member

“It’s not the age, it’s the mileage”
    Indiana Jones

Spin
    Free Member

Agree with comments about it being quite inaccessable. Thats why it was granted tax free status to try and encourage folks to stay there in the past. I got a litre bottle of Glenmorangie for 17 euros. 🙂

I loved it but I wasn’t using the uplift. I used the XC maps (1 euro from the tourismo) and walking maps to stitch together some awesome but hard riding. I’m not usually a fan of busy resorts but I thought it had a nice mellow atmosphere.

rickmeister

I’m fond of livigno having ridden there a bit. Great bike park at motolino with an uplift, loads of natural trails and huts. Hans Rey’s home turf, great scenery.

Did a long weekend fatbiking and could have easily done more days. Not a lot of lifts and a fair bit of riding is self propelled. Brilliant scenery and a good vibe to the place …

Stayed at the fraeli hostel by the cancano lake and it was a great base.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mozine v Livigno. Change of scenery and emphasis perhaps?’ is closed to new replies.