Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Moving up North
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@Yak – madness! x

ads678

Doncaster is part of Scotland anyway, so what does that count as?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Do Sheffieldonians have a slab of mature cheddar on their fruitcake? That’s the real test….and it’s a surprisingly good combination….

mintimperial

the m62 is the boundary between north and south…………..FACT

Dare you to come to Huddersfield and say that.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

I’ve been to Sheffield twice. On both occasions the natives tried to steal my car.

Oh, that’s good. It’ll remind me of Nottingham then.

I think everyone is forgetting about the Midlands. There’s more than just North and South. Birmingham, Derby, Notts, Leicester. Neither North nor South.

Thanks for the Meetup group link too, whoever it was who posted that.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Ahwhiles –

Anyway, Adam – which area of Sheffield will you be living in?

Moving to Crooks.

ransos
    Free Member

There’s more than just North and South.

Yes, it manifests itself as congestion on the M6. My life would be easier if we got rid of Birmingham.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Crooks eh, what’s your take on BMX tracks and jumping? Bolehills is excellent for a ride around and you’re the correct side of the city for the woods (Wharncliffe and Greno) without TOO much of an epic journey.

Congratulations on making the correct decision. Sheffield is the best place I have lived.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Crooks eh, what’s your take on BMX tracks and jumping? Bolehills is excellent for a ride around and you’re the correct side of the city for the woods (Wharncliffe and Greno) without TOO much of an epic journey.

I did spot the track on google maps. Very short ride from my house. I will definitely pop down and try it out. Is it a busy spot?

Congratulations on making the correct decision. Sheffield is the best place I have lived.

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to moving.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

the m62 is the boundary between north and south…………..FACT

I’m with Ton on that measure.

eg. Cheshire, for example, is clearly “Southern”

Serious answers:
    1. Is it really worth moving from Nottingham to Sheffield. They’re 40 miles apart. That’s not worth relocating for.

2. Wharncliffe is a pretty good starting point for riding in Sheffield area. There’s a FB group I think.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

1. Is it really worth moving from Nottingham to Sheffield. They’re 40 miles apart. That’s not worth relocating for.

Why not? I’m moving to live in a new city not to be nearer a job. I think being able to ride from the door to the peaks is probably worth moving for. I can think of better things to do with my time than an 80 mile round trip in a car too. Each to their own I guess…

DaRC_L

No No No from the Sussex pov you’re all Northerners or you’re Sorrey or right Kent’s

ahwiles
    Free Member

adsbatts89 – Member

Moving to Crooks.

it’s Crookes, with an ‘e’, but…

…I’m moving to live in a new city…/…ride from the door to the peaks

…you’ve nailed it, but don’t tell everyone.

(handy for the bmx track too)

thenorthwind

Nope just before the Angel of the North.

The signs on the A184 heading out of Gateshead onto the A1 (so just north of there) used to (may still do but a lot of roadworks round there recently as you’re probably aware) say The North and The South.

I had a friend from Manchester who I went to uni in Newcastle with. She once tried to drive home and turned north onto the A1 because the sign said “The North” and she thought “I live in Manchester, which is in The North.” 😆 I think she got to Morpeth (you know, where the A1 becomes a single track dirt road) before she realised.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Yeah, Bolehills is great for a sunny evening practising jumps and is pretty popular. Rivelin valley is just over the back as well.

Easy to find people to ride with in Greno and Wharncliffe and people up here are reyt friendly.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

it’s Crookes, with an ‘e’, but…

Crooks is what the locals call it…

Drac

The signs on the A184 heading out of Gateshead onto the A1 (so just north of there) used to (may still do but a lot of roadworks round there recently as you’re probably aware) say The North and The South.

That’s the one.

I had a friend from Manchester who I went to uni in Newcastle with. She once tried to drive home and turned north onto the A1 because the sign said “The North” and she thought “I live in Manchester, which is in The North.” I think she got to Morpeth (you know, where the A1 becomes a single track dirt road) before she realised.

Typical southerner. Ah! Yes when hit that track I know I’m home.

muzzle
    Free Member

Sheffield is ace. I moved here 5 years ago – best decision I ever made (mind you, I did live in Donny before that 😀 ).

andyxxx
    Free Member

Did you find a group?

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Great riding in the area your spoilt for choice, I’d pop into 18 bikes in Hope have a good chin wag with them, they’ll give you plenty of info re local riding clubs.

York is in the Midlands hmmmm NOT
    Ever heard of east midlands airport…. 1hour & 40 mins South of York

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I moved to Sheffield once. I’m still here.

Crooks is what the locals call it…

I use the ‘e’ but only been in Crookes since 1992. Not quite local yet!

Great place to live in general but riding in particular. The only downside is every ride ends up hill! Bolehills is great, official pumptrack reopening tomorrow lunch time so the track will be buzzing.

Drop me a mail if you are struggling for routes or a group to ride with.

m0rk
    Free Member

I’m so southern, Newbury is a bit grim north

zippykona

Where is the barth/ bath , grarse/grass line?
    That must tell you where the North is.

kayla1
    Free Member

Zippykona- not really, listening to any **** in Jesmond would have you believing you’re in some hipster-infested place in the south.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

So being on the Sussex Coast, anything North of M25 J6 is very North and all the maps show North of the Thames, is DANGER AREA, full of Heathens, Dragons, Tygers and no sun.

In fact the only thing we know exists north of the Thames are the Hitchin Yorkshire pudding mines.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I’m a Crookes local, loads of really good riding from bolehills out to fox hagg and back, most of the good stuff you really need to explore or be shown but theres a couple of hours of some amazing technical trails around the area, but as noted the best route ends in a lovely up hill road climb.

Tend to ride from my house in the week so give us a shout if you fancy a ride

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Moving up North’ is closed to new replies.