Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Moving to Yorkshire
  • Teifiterror
    Free Member

Accepted a job up in Yorkshire, the office is in South Braford. Wondering where I should be looking for rooms to rent that have easy access to south Bradford, motorway and cycling? Any help appreciated.

jimbobo
    Free Member

Not Bradford.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

I had assumed that was a given 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sadexpunk

do you mean rooms to rent just while youre at work, then back home at weekends? or full-time renting?

Simon

In which area of Bradford will you be working?

molgrips
    Free Member

Make sure you buy some long red socks, go walking in the Dales and moan at everyone and everything. Especially MTBers.

john_drummer
    Free Member

For south Bradford I’d be looking Cleckheaton, Scholes, Wyke, Hunsworth, Birkenshaw, Gomersal and possibly Drighlington
    Don’t go too far into town…

Stoner
    Free Member

You’d move from the Teifi to Yorkshire? Yer mad sir. Mad.

Mugboo

Come down to Brighouse, we have a good riding scene, a station and we are next to the motorway, we even have a couple of good real ale pubs and the Magic Rock Tap is just over t’hill.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Make sure your vaccinations are up to date.

easygirl

Best place to stay is Lancashire

nickc

bring your wellies

robgclarkson
    Free Member

ilkley is classed as bradford…. just saying

Teifiterror
    Free Member

do you mean rooms to rent just while youre at work, then back home at weekends? or full-time renting?

Room, but with the odd weekend up there to enjoy Yorkshire to start with, office is in buttershaw part of Bradford

porlus
    Free Member

Buttershaw.
    Whats Northowram like as it looks pretty close.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Northowram/Shibden is OK and has some areas to ride. Bit of a hill to climb to Buttershaw. Thornton, Queensbury could be other places to check out. All depends on how far you want to commute.

If you’re not cycling into work then look at north Bradford instead for far better areas to live and ride in, Shipley, Bingley.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Will have to drive in as must always have the car, so long as less than 30 minutes in the morning wont be an issue

carlosg
    Free Member

That would be Ilkley moor.Ilkley is Leeds 29

craigxxl
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member
    For south Bradford I’d be looking Cleckheaton, Scholes, Wyke, Hunsworth, Birkenshaw, Gomersal and possibly Drighlington

+1

Close enough to Buttershaw to commute but far enough to live in peace.

bearnecessities

I always agree with Craig & John on these threads and no different now, but I thought Wyke was a bit suspect?

darrenspink
    Free Member

That would be Ilkley moor.Ilkley is Leeds 29

Ilkley is in the city of Bradford district even though most of it has a Leeds postcode. Strange I know.

sadexpunk

Room, but with the odd weekend up there to enjoy Yorkshire to start with, office is in buttershaw part of Bradford

i asked as i did my training up there at birkenshaw, and we stayed in a cracking place just down the road from there. Model Farm b&b, it has separate cottages too which is where we stayed. lovely place a few years ago now, and the tripadvisor reviews seem to suggest it still is.

martinhutch

Skipton has a Bradford postcode, but I’m not sure that helps the OP with his commute.

Bike, public transport or car, OP?

If driving or cycling, I’d personally plump for somewhere like Calverley/Idle, unless the office is miles south of Bradford centre. That gives you relatively easy access to Leeds centre, the Dales, a bit of local riding.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Have you tried getting to Buttershaw from Ilkley in rush hour? 😯

Buttershaw – add Shelf, Stone Chair, Queensbury, Hipperholme to the list, take Drighlington off
    And as nice as Calverley is, I wouldn’t recommend anywhere north of town if you have to get to the south side. I live in Baildon (nice) but from 1997 up to last March I commuted across town to get to the M62 and at its best it’s a pain in the wotsit

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Bike, public transport or car, OP?

Always car as its part of the role I will have to get about a bit, mostly likely along the motorway.

Plenty of suggestions to go off, will take a look around. 2 months left so plenty of time to ponder

john_drummer
    Free Member

but I thought Wyke was a bit suspect?

I don’t know to be honest, I’ve only ever gone through Wyke on my way to somewhere else so I can’t really offer an opinion, but it kind of runs into some of the other areas that I listed above.

I can say to avoid inner city areas – anywhere within the A6177 outer ring road, and also to some degree on the outside of it, especially up the Eastern side of the city. Although having said that, Little Germany is supposed to be on the up.

For car insurance purposes, avoid post codes BD1-9, although there are exceptions e.g. Tong Village is in BD4 but really quite nice

If working in the Buttershaw area – Halifax Road? – then try to keep south of the city, unless the thought of living somewhere like Baildon, Bingley, Calverley etc (all in the Aire Valley – it does flood now & again! but the trails from the doorstep are excellent) really outweighs the downside of the commute through town

I moved to Bradford in 1982, age 17, to go to Uni. I’ve been here ever since. Compared to Batley, Bradford was an escape 😉
    82-90 I lived near the uni in rented accommodation. 1990 I made the mistake of buying a house in BD3, off Leeds Road, and got stuck there for 8 long years. DON’T go there. EVER.

We moved to Baildon in 98 & happy here ever since. Great trails on the doorstep, about 90 minutes from the Lake District, 45 mins to the Dales, 10 mins to Bradford centre, 30 minutes to Leeds (ok, not in rush hour!), reasonable train connections if you don’t mind changing at Shipley or Guiseley – unless you’re going to Ilkley or Bradford. 10-15 mins from Leeds Bradford Airport, taxi fare there & back is cheaper than parking up

jaylittle
    Free Member

Im in clayton,not far from buttershaw. Drop me a message if you want to go out once your settled.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Dont forget your rod and a few spider patterns 😉

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Dont forget your rod and a few spider patterns

Is that to scare the locals or lure the fish?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Dont forget your rod and a few spider patterns
    Is that to scare the locals or lure the fish?

Need more than a spider to scare the Bradford Massiv.

I recall an earlier post on fly rods you responded to, theres some very good, very cheap trout and grayling fishing around Calderdale/Airedale

vincienup
    Free Member

Brighouse probably would be OK. Outskirts of Halifax – say Siddal – is OK.

I wouldn’t venture to Cleckheaton again for love nor money.

Above all, beware… West Yorkshire is a bit odd. Outskirts of Leeds might be OK, and there’s always Todmorden and Hebden Bridge…

mattyfez

Brighouse is well connected for trains and ni
    Motorway, Hebden Bridge is a 15 min train journey, or 40 mins ride down the canal once it’s been rebuilt!

Make sure to look for something on a hill because flooding lol!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.