Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Moving to Selkirk
  • eruptron
    Free Member

I have a family member who may be moving to Selkirk. So I said I’d ask the collective what it’s like to live around there.
    What’s the weather like the crime rate is it expensive to live, housing,council tax,water rates etc?
    Obviously for me and a riding point of view it’d be a nice base for some quality riding.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I have recently moved to Selkirk.

Crime rate is low. There is one area that can be dodgy but nothing serious. Cost of housing is relatively low. Council Tax is ok. Plenty of amenities. A few decent pubs, a cracking Indian Restaurant and good shops.
    Galashiels is nearby where there is more shops – Asda, Tesco M&S Next etc

Riding around here is fantastic. Huge variety of trails of any difficulty you want. Great base for road riding too.

Check out BSPC website for house prices – look under Hawick local area.

Any more info about Selkirk or Scottish Borders in general – just ask

cheers

eruptron
    Free Member

Cheers Tiggs
    I may ask a few more questions if things progress.

ononeorange

Hmmmm. I thought “Moving to Selkirk” was going to be a euphemism.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I grew up near there. Great place to be.

kcal

My cousins grew up in Galashiels so I think Selkirk got the butt of their “next town along” name-calling (though I think the bulk was reserved for Hawick…). However, having visited it and passed through, it seemed OK!

Selkirk Merida is a great event, look out for Pete Laing, I think he stays in or around Selkirk.

eruptron
    Free Member

Cheers guys

br
    Free Member

Top riding in/around Selkirk plus it’s still got local shops. My son is at school there, we live not far away.

Next time you are here, just bring your bike – nearest singletrack is about 100 yds from the Market Square 🙂

Neil-F
    Free Member

The Bannerfield estate, a bad name, full of damn good people.

eruptron
    Free Member

Are there any problems that need to be considered (I’m assuming not) when moving from another country like England say 🙂 Other than the banter are there any issues with National insurance and that sort of serious stuff?

br
    Free Member

Are there any problems that need to be considered (I’m assuming not) when moving from another country like England say Other than the banter are there any issues with National insurance and that sort of serious stuff?

Please tell us that you are doing a poor job of trying to be a Troll?

eruptron
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Are there any problems that need to be considered (I’m assuming not) when moving from another country like England say Other than the banter are there any issues with National insurance and that sort of serious stuff?

Please tell us that you are doing a poor job of trying to be a Troll?

EERrr NO!!

As an Isle Of Man resident there can be regional differences in certain things like health care, pensions,tax even work permits (obviously not in this case) I’m sure there are difference in costs of the likes of pescriptions from England to Scotland.
    Maybe you should ask why or just plan think rather than calling someone a TROLL but thanks for Stirling contribution to my thread it was well worth your effort and highly informative!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Selkirk’ is closed to new replies.