Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Advice needed – Moving to / Riding around Skipton
  • marcgear
    Free Member

I’m moving from Essex to Skipton next week, in the hope that being so close to the Dales, Peaks, Lakes etc will bring better opportunity for more hiking, biking, camping etc with the family.

Does anyone have any advice for a rider new to the area? I’m looking for any tips on finding good routes/trails, friendly MTB groups, night rides, best pubs, local bike shops, info about access rights for riders etc. I’ve looked online and found a bit of info but nothing beats a bit of local knowledge.

Obviously I’m going to be checking out Gisburn and Stainburn as soon as possible and I’m hoping to get together some suitable gear for some bike-packing over the summer once I’ve found my way around a bit better.

tmb467
    Free Member

Riders Cycle Centre in Skipton is meant to be a very good LBS

Vertebrate Publishing have a few books describing Lakes, Dales, Peaks and West Yorkshire routes

Appletreewick (little village near Skipton) used to have a pub that was good for local knowledge – if you go over the Dales to Reeth you also have Dales Bike Centre and Land of Ard Rock

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The south dales will be great for bike packing as it’s mostly big ups big downs but quite tame, which is ideal really. There’s certainly loads of MTB in the local south dales if you prefer xc for exercise rather than gnarrcore rad. I’ve always found immediate Skipton a bit lacking in open access woods and quarries. Canal is great for easy access kids/family rides etc. Bingley (20 mins in car, 1 hr on canal) has some great tech riding, the best stuff local knowledge as is usually the case. Tame walking in dales, more manly stuff in lakes, but just a walk up pen y gent is a nice stroll with a summit. Don’t know about local groups, sorry. As above I’d probably start with the local guidebooks. I can send you more info on the best bingley bash variant and general info about the bingley area. Also I ride in the dales most weekends, so if you want any specific route info. hopwood(dot)mail(at)gmail(dot)com

marcgear
    Free Member

Really helpful – thanks 🙂

I’ll certianly checkout the bike shop because thats always a good starting point. I haven’t checked out any of the guidebooks – I expect i’ll be able to find a few once I’m up there. I’ve downloaded the Bingley GPX from http://www.cyclebradford.org.uk/routes/favouriteroutes/mtbxc/bingley-bash/ and I’ll see what’s what. Thanks B.A.Nana 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

We are just outside Skipton. There are some mountain bikers in Skipton CC but it is mostly road orientated. There’s a couple of groups that head out mid-week from the local villages – one went past us the other night. Stuart at the bike shop will be able to give you more hints.

Most of the trails are more XC/touring/bikepacking rather than rocky DH type trails, there are some technical bits around but they are the exception rather than the rule. They are fine for night rides BTW.

As B.A.Nana says, not much in the immediate vicinity of Skipton though there’s some steep play areas at the end of the Roman Road on Skipton Moor. You can work out lots of loops on the moors between Malham and Kilnsey. There’s some good trails around Austwick as well.

The Lakes is just over an hour away (at legal speeds). Getting to the Peak is awkward given that it’s so close in a direct line – allow two hours. Reeth, mentioned above, is about an hour and a quarter away.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve downloaded the Bingley GPX from

all the best stuff is completely by passed on the official routes or even Bogtrotters route. There’s also one called hard’n fast, but again it misses all the best stuff. Most of the best stuff is council open access so no issues other than the wax jacket and Scottie dog brigade

grobin13
    Free Member

Check out the Tour of Niddedale. Great riding especially know it’s dry. I have just moved to Harrogate so just down the A59 and am in the same boat of finding decent routes. Thankfully my folks live in the lakes so no shortage of rides when I head back to visit. Stainburn is also fantastic but not a full day out..

martinhutch

As someone who was brought up in Essex, and now lives in Skipton, you’re clearly a man of great taste and discernment.

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/outandabout/gettingactive/cycling/mtb/mtb-findaroute

This will get you started. There are lots of good local loops, nothing too tech but some nice fun descents and climbs.

As above, Riders Cycle Centre is the best place locally for repairs and maintenance, and advice. There’s a boutique shop in the High Street.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is probably Skipton’s equiv to the Bingley Bash skipton_loop.html There are slight variants on the same loop ie missing out sharp haw and/or extending to Addingham.

Just to reiterate what was said above, altho the Peak has some classic routes, it’s a long drive and pretty bad to get to from Skipton. Especially when compared to a pleasant unhindered drive to Windemere in possibly less than an hour (2 speed cameras at kirky Lonsdale, 1 nr Windemere 😉 ). I’d be much more inclined to go to the Lakes or venture further north up the Dales (Swaledale has more technical riding) or there’s some good/different stuff to be had on North York Moors. Quite a few routes to be done from Sutton Bank car park. Or you’re not that far from a completely different ‘experience’ in STW heartland of Todmorden and Hebden Bridge, some great stuff there, steep sides wooded valleys in an ex victorian industrial landscape, add in a few weirdo locals (sorry, I meant ‘interesting’ locals).

martinhutch

As above, I’d always default to the Lakes for a non-Dales day out simply because the drive to the Peak is a bit of a nuisance.

In terms of slightly more techy riding, you’ll find that a little local knowledge once you arrive will unearth a few gems. There are a few changes to that Skipton Loop that make it a whole lot more fun, but some cheek (or a slightly more convoluted route) is involved.

Whereabouts in Skipton will you be?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that no cycling signs have gone up on Barden Moor B/way at the kirky moor trail sign (for embsay crag).

martinhutch

What, at the summit of the main track? Good luck policing that one. 😀

darrenspink
    Free Member

OP, best thing I would recommend is to explore segments on strava. I don’t get around Skippo much but theres great descents likes this…

https://www.strava.com/segments/4316604

Great little climbs like this..

https://www.strava.com/segments/2342918

So you won’t be bored.

Then lots to do towards Keighley, Bingley.

Welcome to join my FB group, don’t think there is one for Skipton. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MTBBradford/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What, at the summit of the main track? Good luck policing that one

Yes, on the side of the double track. Sorry it’s not called kirky moor, something like Kirk Fell maybe?. Sign is a bit spurious ie it says trail rather than footpath. Anyway, I’m sure the no cycling signs weren’t there last year. Like you say, what’s the worst that can happen, turn round and cycle back. Besides isn’t there some de facto thing were you can claim that you’ve been cycling this trail since like forever, like even when you were still peeing in your school shorts.

martinhutch

There’s always been a no cycling sign on the track leading down to the reservoir. The bloke in the house there tends to set the dogs on you as well…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

no, it’s not those signs (they’ve been there since the early 90’s or probably earlier), it’s specifically at the sign for the path to get to embsay crag.

martinhutch

I’ll doff my cap next time I’m ignoring it. 🙂

chestrockwell

I always thought the route from Barden Moor to Embsay Crag was a footpath anyway?

Anyway, as another Skipton resident I agree with the above. My mates and me tend to be limited for time these days so stick to Gisburn and Lee Quarry for man made as there’s not enough to do at Stainburn for those with limited gnaaar skilz. Saying that, if you link Staiburn with the tracks round Swinley Res it can make for a decent ride.

Non man made we hit the hills of Skipton Moor, Barden Moor, Bolton Abbey, Sharphaw etc with plenty of rides to be done mixing up the routes. These are right out of your door. Plenty of routes between Settle/Malham/Grassington as well that are a laugh.

Riders Cycle Center is ace and Stu’s a top bloke. The only other decent bike shop imo closed last year due to the ‘concept store’ opening on the high street.

Pubs wise in Skipton we tend to stick to the Woolly Sheep, Royal Shepard, or Castle at a push. Saying that, most pubs are OK without being ace including the ones mentioned. To be honest my young son tends to mean pub time is limited these days. A few good places to eat are Le Bistro, Thai Basil, Mastaabs/Aagrah, Brodies and Emporio Italia.

Always worth getting out to the surrounding villages as most have good pubs with great beer and food.

marcgear
    Free Member

Amazing response – cheers everyone.

I’m going to be living off Gargrave Road – so fairly central and its not a huge place anyway.
    Checking out strava segments is a good tip – I’ll check the heatmap thing as well. The skipton loop looks like a good starting point as well. The advice on the pubs is also very welcome. I’ve been in the woolly sheep, and I’ll make a note of the others.

I don’t want to piss off any landowners or anything, so I’ll try and avoid anywhere marked as off limits – at least until I get an idea of where you can and can’t get away with it.

Can’t wait 😀

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Lots of good advice there. Ace area for riding and access to good riding. Stuart at RCC in Skipton is your man. Go and have a chat.

badbod99
    Free Member

Another Skipton local here.

If you ride a road bike, get involved with Skipton CC. Quite a few mountain bikers in the club, but the club itself is road focused. Get yourself on the SCC Facebook group though, good source of local biking information.

For rides, Barden Moor and Sharphaw good as a local loop. Much better riding to be had over toward Pateley Bridge with Scar House Reservior. Kettlewell has some tough climbs and techy descents. Not too far from Calderdale where you’ve got the usual Singletrack tech fest. It’s only 1 hour drive to Staveley for infinite lakes rides. Clapham has some great loops heading over Sulber Nick. Worsthorne and Todmorden gives you some undulating moorland rides on rocky trails. About an hour to Reeth for Fremington Edge and all the other great rides around Gunnerside and Grinton. Ilkley Moor is ace if you like slow techy stuff. Loads of Dales classics from Settle heading over to Malham and Arncliffe.

Again Stuart at RCC very highly recommended.

For pubs I stick to The Narrow Boat. There is a new one started up doing real ale called The Beer Engine, reports are favourable.

Skipton is a great place to live, you’re going to love it.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I ride with a group called the Mudpackers. We’re a friendly bunch ranging from early twenties up to mid sixties. All abilities but always ride to have fun, banter and never leave anyone behind. normally we tend yo get 5-7 out each Saturday and normally do a mid week evening ride too, lights in winter which is great fun! Most rides tend to be within 40 mins drive from skipton, however a good few of us live there so there are often liftshares going and quite a few rides go from Skipton. We tend yo do the odd weekend away too ie Scotland, Wales etc.

I started riding with them a few years back when I moved up here. Not looked back since. Your probably moving to one of the best places in the country for mtbing. Have a look for us on Facebook or the website, always great to see new faces. Drop Dan a quick email/text if you want (Fbook normally more up to date with rides etc) more info, his details are on the website! Hopefully see you soon!

mudpackerdan
    Free Member

Mid sixties Joe!

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Oh aye, sorry Dan, I meant mid fifties! In my defence it was early! I won’t tell you who I was thinking of either! Ha,ha!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is one of the routes we’ve been talking about (courtesy of grib). Bit of a slog but for two great descents and can be considered a doorstep ride. Figure of 8, your looking to come down westy bank wood and down embsay crag

Gargrave Road is very nice, close enough walk to town, swimming baths/park, train station, canal, wine shops, decent pubs. Only downside is about 5 schools all along the road cause chaos at certain times of day, but it’s a small price. There’s talk of a pump track this summer in the nearby park to practice your rad skilz.

Cowman

Also look at driving out to settle. Really good base for some great rides.

thecaptain
    Free Member

There’s an mtbo out of gargrave in a few weeks which might point up some interesting routes.

wheelie

Spent many evenings at the New Ship Inn at Mill Bridge! Shame its now an estate agents…. was a great pub! I hope the Celebrated Pork Pie shop is still there.

chestrockwell

Yep, pie shop still there. After the TDF last year we sat outside it scoffing the bbq burgers they were selling while drinking grog from the castle. A good day.

Cowman

Am I mad thinking that when I looked at this thread yesterday there was a map posted by B.A Nana??

As an image, was going to try it out??

Thanks

Cow

globalti
    Free Member

You’re moving to the middle of a national park with thousands of square miles of the best road and off road cycling in Britain and you’re planning to head over to Gisburn and go round and round a trail centre?

Shakes head in amazement.

Buy the Explorer maps of the Yorkshire Dales or get one made, centred on Skipton: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/custom-made-maps.html

These two cover most of the Dales:

It will be the best little investment you’ve ever made.

Best pub for proper beer is The Narrow Boat, and the barmaid looks just like Queen Victoria.

martinhutch

Why would you want it centred on Skipton? Then you’d have Keighley in it. 🙂

I’m not the biggest fan of Gisburn any more, but it’s worth it for a quick blast if the weather is dodgy.

marcgear
    Free Member

Haha. I’m not planning on spending every ride at Gisburn 🙂 but I’m obviously going to check it out. I just wanted repliers to know that I knew it was nearby. As I said, the main reason for the move was hiking/biking/camping and stuff in one of the best areas in the country for it.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of trail centres – I’ll have been to Gisburn maybe ten times in the thirteen years we’ve lived in the area. Handy to have around but that level of usage shows the all-weather nature of many of the tracks in the Dales.

Someone mentioned the New Inn at Appletreewick – we were in there yesterday and noticed that there’s a big map on the wall showing lots of loops for riding. It’s all very dry at the moment – we went from Appletreewick over the moors to Pateley Bridge and back and my bike was cleaner than many hire bikes you see outside shops. There’s also quite a few bridleways that you can link up to the south and west of Skipton, a map is useful – in addition to the two shown above there’s the South Pennines 1:25K map which covers from Skipton all the way down to Hebden Bridge. I don’t know the number but it’s readily available in town.

Actually one of the few BWs that doesn’t hold up well in wet weather is the one over Sharp Haw to Flasby which is a pity as it’s one of the few off-road ways out of town. In a way Gargrave is a better starting point for being able to head out in to the Dales with little or no road work though you are going to be doing some roads to link up the various bridleways whatever you try and do.

Pub wise we tend to go to the Narrow Boat – SCC have their meetings there, The Woolly Sheep is the other watering hole. Skipton’s the only place I’ve ever seen a genuine bar brawl! It was a “you looking at my bird” type affair and probably part of some long standing family feud that began in 1790.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Might be worth pointing out the ilkley thread. I’ve just discovered a whole new area which appears to be littered with permitted trails. On older OS maps there appears to be little on offer, so I’ve always dismissed the area, but I’ve just found out that there are loads of permitted access tracks marked on new OS mapping north of addingham and ilkley. Going to get my arse up there and rate it all.

martinhutch

Actually one of the few BWs that doesn’t hold up well in wet weather is the one over Sharp Haw to Flasby which is a pity as it’s one of the few off-road ways out of town. In a way Gargrave is a better starting point for being able to head out in to the Dales with little or no road work though you are going to be doing some roads to link up the various bridleways whatever you try and do.

Yes, that’s a pity. It’s a shame that the track on the other side of the hill has such an unwelcoming ending. Though just walking through his field and yard pushing the bike can still be much quicker and easier than bogtrotting over the BW.

Occasionally I’ll just pop up to Rylstone to start off if I’m pressed for time.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

There is some great riding south of Skipton too. Lots around Hebden Bridge etc. I find it much tougher down there. Makes for quite different riding compared to the Dales. Mary Townley Loop too if your feeling energetic!

globalti
    Free Member

Calderdale (where Hebden Bridge sits) is rightly where STW has its HQ; it has some of the best mountain biking in Britain and even… the world, seriously! The industrial heritage saw to that. Dales is obviously gentler and more rural.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Calderdale (where Hebden Bridge sits) is rightly where STW has its HQ; it has some of the best mountain biking in Britain and even… the world, seriously!

You haven’t been many places have you? 🙂

smokey_jo

Another alternative for a short local loop is to head south over to Earby and back via Pinhaw Beacon. There’s a few cheeky bits you might need a nudge in the right direction to find and it’s best when dry.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed – Moving to / Riding around Skipton’ is closed to new replies.