Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Moving to Portsmouth – good idea?
  • iwmunt
    Free Member

As a true Islander born and bred. Its a great place, yes there are toilets but the crime is low and the scenery is superb. We have enough “mainlanders” though thanks 😉
    I wouldn’t move to Pompey though.
    As for no future for kids that’s down to the individual.
    Good luck in whatever you do.

ratherbeintobago

Someone once described Pompey to me as being like Oldham without the charm, and I don’t think that’s wholly unfair.

Avoid Gosport; on a Fri afternoon Collingrad & Sultan empty and it can take hours to get off the peninsula.

m0rk
    Free Member

I work in Portsmouth, though the nice council made us our own exit off the M275 last year so that was nice. The traffic isn’t bad, just get to work at a sensible hour and not 9am if you’re driving.

Lived in Horndean / Clanfield now for 6yrs (and 21yrs originally with a break for a bit).

Love the hills & sea, and don’t go onto the island unless it’s for work, the ferry, gun wharf before 12

£400k would buy you a new build 4 bed up in the villages, or any number of nice places in fact.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Someone once described Pompey to me as being like Oldham without the charm, and I don’t think that’s wholly unfair.

Avoid Gosport; on a Fri afternoon Collingrad & Sultan empty and it can take hours to get off the peninsula.

Oldham has charm ?

Thought Collingrad would have been shut down by now, ahhh the memories of running back to Nile block full of worthies best !

ratherbeintobago

Oldham has charm ?

That’s kind of the point 😛

Thought Collingrad would have been shut down by now, ahhh the memories of running back to Nile block full of worthies best !

Dryad’s gone (or at least is now where they train crushers), which is a pity as it was quite nice. Dolphin is still there too, albeit as Ft Blockhouse, and has a nice wardroom terrace for drinking on…

garage-dweller

Broadbean.

There are loads of great places to live outside Portsmouth. Get yourself somewhere where the bike or train can be used to commute. Driving in and parking would not be my choice. Both there and Southampton are surrounded by water on three sides so limited routes in.

Regular rail services down through Petersfield or across from Southampton. Go very far East and its a different rail company so you would I think need a change of train at Havant or Cosham.

There are some good schools throughout the area and plenty to do.

Also there are odd pockets of relatively cheaper and still nice housing so worth looking in a variety of areas.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned the fine people of Portsmouth yet?
    Gunwharf on a Friday night if you want a fight 😆

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No, it’s the Guildhall for aggro you dinlo!

m0rk
    Free Member

Yeah guildhall steps for the fighting mush

eranu
    Free Member

If it were me I’d be looking at Petersfield, train, decent schools and some reasonable shops, pubs/restaurants.

The commute isn’t that bad people moaning about traffic haven’t been to Guildford, the m25 etc in rush hour. My office is near the uni takes me about 20-25 mins to do the 15 mile commute in peak traffic.

ratherbeintobago

Gunwharf on a Friday night if you want a fight

Pompey isn’t the same since Jo’s (aka the Royal Naval School of Dancing) closed.

If it were me I’d be looking at Petersfield, train, decent schools and some reasonable shops, pubs/restaurants.

Also London commuter belt, for which there is a premium.

broadbean
    Free Member

Yeah, aiming for petersfield really, based on the comments on here as much as anything, but will have a trundle down in a week or two and check it out. Think chichester and Winchester maybe a little too far, but need to look at that. Certainly not aiming to ‘live’ in Portsmouth itself.

DezB
    Free Member

No, it’s the Guildhall for aggro you dinlo!

Alright, no need to cop!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You know how it is; we can start a fight alone in a phonebox…

scottfitz
    Free Member

Petersfield FTW. Riding on your from door north and south 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Portsmouth – good idea?’ is closed to new replies.