Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Moving to Penistone???
  • DavidM
    Free Member

Does anyone have anything to say about living in Penistone??? We are considering it as the gf works in Leeds and I am in Sheffield so it is a good halfway for commuting. Saw a thread from many years back which sort of says what I was expecting;quiet but nice. If anyone has anything to add I am all ears. We both realise it’ll be a bit different to living in Leeds and or Sheffield but it feels like it might be a decent compromise? Cheers guys

grenosteve
    Free Member

Not lived there, but cycled and rode my motorbike through many times. Seems a really nice place with excellent access to trails.

Driving into Sheffield along Penistone road could get old quick though, it’s always busy and backed up at rush hour. A lot of people cut through Grenoside to avoid the traffic lights, which I wouldn’t recommend because it blocks my road up! 😛

jet26
    Free Member

David

Live in Penistone and have lived in surrounding villages too for most of last 8 years.

Lots of good riding on doorstep, decent pubs around for both food and drink, although ‘nightlife’ bit restricted! Decent Indian eat in/out and Italian in Penistone and Tesco ok for food etc.

Penistone school also has gym and sportshall and outdoor pitches which accessible to public. Easy access to Wharncliffe and Langsett via Transpennine Trail.

Drop me a mail if you want any more info – jamestoml at gmail dot com

jimmy

What Steve says about the commute, but then probably no different to anywhere. My ex-missus lived in Penistone (no euphemism) so spent some time there. Not much going off, 10 years ago anyway…

IHN

*giggle*

TPTcruiser

Used to live in Denby Dale just over the border, commuting into Sheffield on the train.
    Train to Sheffield better as no changes, Leeds leg has to change at Huddersfield. I used to train to P then cycle from P to Sheff on the TPT 2/5 days. Train on return can be crowded.
    Penistone has the cinema where they still have intervals! I think they get into trouble for this but the bar takings help sustain the place.
    The Huntsman at Thurlstone is a good all rounder of a pub.

slimjim78
    Free Member

is that near Bell End?

handyman153
    Free Member

We used to live there, but have moved the other side towards Manchester/Peak district now.. Hathersage way if that means anything.

Penistone was great for us, good access to Sheffield and Leeds just like yourself, but as Steve said above the drive into Sheffield city centre is one of the worst commutes I’ve ever had to do.
    I would recommend riding as much as possible, if you can.. Or you can find alternative routes, depending on which part of Sheffield you are heading into. I for example needed to be on the parkway, and depended what exact minute I left in the morning, it could be quick (but longer) to get onto the M1 and head South for a few junctions!

Other than that, lovely place!

Cubely Hall (if thats right?) was a really nice place for drinks and food!

HansRey

“chortles”

johnx2
    Free Member

I’m just impressed Penistone makes it through the stw public decency preservation software. Now what about Wastwater and Scunthorpe?

mickmcd
    Free Member
    slimjim78
    Free Member

Silly me, it’s closer to Shitlingthorpe

dannybgoode

To be honest you’d probably find that the commute from North Sheffield to Leeds would take a similar amount of time to that from Penistone as you’d be on the M1 and away. Used to take me 45-55 mins on a good day to Leeds city centre. You’re on at J36 and it’s really not far then to J3/4 of the 621.

Similarly the quick trains from Sheffield will probably beat the stopping service from Penistone.

@Grenosteve-you’re just up the road from me ( Halifax Rd). Nearly bought a house in the village but someone beat us to it.

BigJohn

I think a few push-ups will improve your penis tone. Move you towards it, certainly.

jekkyl

what colour?

BigJohn

Black, pink, black, pink, white.

docrobster
    Free Member

I used to do that commute in the opposite direction, from home in sw Sheffield to work in penistone. Was quicker to go via loxley/strines/midhopestones and a much nicer drive. I wouldn’t fancy driving into Sheffield along penistone road every morning. I’m sure penistone is a decent place to live. Can certainly vouch for the GP practice as I trained there. However not a lot of night life if that’s what you want. Friends of ours lived in ingbirchworth for a while as one worked in Sheffield and the other Leeds or Manchester. They hated it and moved to Sheffield as soon as they could both get a job here. They really were in the middle of nowhere though.

ivorlott
    Free Member

They have an interesting agricultural show apparently…

Mugboo

Don’t know about the commute but I wouldn’t mind being that close to Wharncliffe. I’m over in Brighouse and there’s plenty of riders and trails over this way too.

andybrad

My cousin lives in penistown, so its a no from me.

In reality though it appears that any hint of snow means that in penistown its 60ft deep and completely impossible for anyone to get to work…. maybe they are just lazy?

They also have webbed toes apparently…

TPTcruiser

Webbed toes would be something to see! Can you supply a picture of the cousin’s feet? Might be an adaptation for when it snows rather than using tennis rackets.
    First hint of snow sees the bread and milk disappear from the Co-Op shelves, in my observations.

DavidM
    Free Member

Cheers guys, advice much appreciated. All sounds good so far. I am expecting a bit of a rubbish commute but hopefully doing it on the bike a few days a week should keep me sane. So, what tyres for the trans pennine trail then? I’m assuming its one for the ‘crosser?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Yes, one for the crosser, and one for full mudguards too. Trust me.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Penistone???’ is closed to new replies.