Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Moving to NW England – New Life Start
  • nick1962
    Free Member

Parts of Lees(it’s for people who can’t quite afford Saddleworth ) are pretty decent but I wouldn’t want to live on a main road anywhere, Huddersfield Rd can be traffic heavy,noisy, dirty etc.I think you need to cast you net a bit fourther afield.Lees is sort of Oldham suburbia,is that what you want? Royton has nothing as has been said.

nbt

As above I’d not personally live on a main road, huddersfield road is – as the name suggests – the main road to huddersfield, but it’s esentially the same cart track that was used in the 18th century so it’s not a nig road and can be busy

stcolin
    Free Member

This is the problem. At the moment I’m going for places where people from my new office are familiar. It would be hard to take a punt on somewhere that I don’t know at all.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nick1962
    Free Member

There’s a couple of places on rightmove in Saddleworth one a two bed apt. in Delph but no internal pics unfortunately.All the Saddleworth villages Delph Dobcross Denshaw Uppermill Greenfield Diggle have a better community feel and centre with decent pubs and better riding than places like Royton.Uppermill and Delph are the largest and Greenfield merges with Uppermill.Still all close to Oldham,train station in Greenfield for Manchester too.Mossley is ok too and merges with Saddleworth though I’ve not been up there for years. Parts of Littleborough and Shaw are ok too but I’m not that familiar with them.
    Todmorden where I live is great, borders Hebden Bridge,train station to MCR/Leeds.30 minute drive to Oldham though and about 15 mins to the M62.Rural but with a town centre.STW HQ is here too and there are night rides with various local groups a couple of nights a week.Lots of MTBers and roadies here too.I will be commuting to Oldham myself from October.There are a couple of decent houses available on rightmove here at the moment, one on a street where we nearly bought a house last year.It’s a “back to back” if you know what they are 🙂
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-45529369.html
    Riding round here is superb and all out the door.In fact the house that is up for rent is on the edge of the bridleway that skirts one hillside in Tod.If you need any info e mail me nickholland1AThotmail.co.uk

stcolin
    Free Member

Well only a week to go and it’s all starting to feel very real. Packing commences this evening and the house has been sorted. It’s in Royton and it’s a quiet area which backs onto some woodland 🙂

I’ll be hoping to get out on the bike the first weekend I’m there so any advice on where to go in that area would be great.

hora
    Free Member

so it’s not a nig road

Racist!

binners

Good stuff. Glad to hear its all going to plan. If you’re in Royton, then your best bet would be to head over to Blackstone Edge. Its nnot far at all, and theres some quality stuff around there.

nbt

Typo, obviously. Nigg’s on the Black Isle so wouldn’t be anywhere near Oldham 😉

plumber
    Free Member

From Royton you can get to tandle park as mentioned

or up to the waste ground behind the Oldham town centre which is a lot better than you would think

you can also get on the bridleways up and over to Hollingworth and then the world is your oyster. I’m quite envious of the riding you have within easy reach

Good luck

scaled
    Free Member

Make sure you save a fiver for the Monday night pub ride!

We did blackstone edge the other week (first time for me) the Mordor traverse was quality 😀

buck53

If you want to have a bit if a ride around Littleborough/Hollingworth Lake/Blackstone Edge as has been mentioned I’ll be happy to show you around a bit. Email in profile, just don’t expect a fast ride!

stcolin
    Free Member

Morning all. Well I’ve been here just over a week and so far so good. It’s been hectic, what with settling into work etc, but everyone has been really nice and really supportive. I made it out to Lee Quarry on Sunday which I enjoyed, but would like to find something a bit more local.

I still don’t have my bearings and I’m pretty much relying on SatNav for anything outside a two mile radius from the house! Is there any need for so many motorways? 😉

binners

Glad you’re settling in fella. You’ll find its actually really easy to get your bearings around here. Probably one of the easiest places in the country. You’ll soon notice that in’t olden days, they had a habit of sticking bloody big things on the top of hills. Like towers. They became every towns essential fashion accessory. Like having a starbucks nowadays.

The tradition, in this post-industrial era, has been continued with the addition of wind turbines, enormous TV transmitters, and pylons. You’ll soon be able to find out exactly where you are by a quick glance at the top of any nearby hills

If you fancy getting out over the bank holiday weekend, drop me a mail (address in profile). We’re doing Calderdale one day, and I’d happily show you round some trails closer to you, near Blackstone Edge. Monday night pub ride next eek is Rammy and will include a lap of Cragg Quarry

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The tradition, in this post-industrial era, has been continued with the addition of wind turbines, enormous TV transmitters, and pylons. You’ll soon be able to find out exactly where you are by a quick glance at the top of any nearby hills

great for weather forecasts as well, can you see the tower/ turbine YES? it’s going to rain, NO? it is raining 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Moving to NW England – New Life Start’ is closed to new replies.