Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Moving to Marple……. any local knowledge ?
  • stanley

Hoping for some advice here re. streets to avoid, or aim for.

Living in Holmfirth at the moment, but going to college/Uni soon as a mature (well old at least) student.
    Decided on Marple as we want to be closer to Manchester to cut our commuting time and costs, but also want to live somewhere that still has good biking from the door… Mtb and road.

So Marple it is. Would appreciate any insider knowledge. £250,000 max. and we need a garage….. or space to build one.

Cheers 🙂

binners

nbt to the forum please

marsdenman
    Free Member

binners beat me to it…

nbt

Stanley's an old mate. Come round for tea and we'll tell you all about it. 250k will see you very well set up indeed

theflatboy
    Free Member

having been there once i can honestly say i don't miss marple.

IHN

Welcome to Marple; the local time is 1982

😉

MartynS

hey don't knock it IHN.. the brass band at the ring o bells yesterday sounded fine.

I think I might have just proved your point…

stanley

Sounds great !!

Tell me more 🙂

MartynS

how long was your commute from Holmfirth to M'cr? getting in/out of Marple in rush hour can be a complete nightmare

Nice place though.. shame about some of the locals. winks at NBT

nbt

it's half an hour into m'cr on the train. *both* brass bands sounded lovely yesterday, the concert at the ringers (next to our house) was followed by the hawk green concert (up the hill but still audible).

kept me going while I processed all those photos from hit the north, those bands did.

MartynS has a point though, road access can be a pain at peak times.

stanley

Holmfirth to Manchester (Trafford Park) varied lots.

Crack of dawn or late at night about 1 hour. Driving home at 5pm…… up to 2.5 hours !!

Marple= walk to station/train/walk to college. Or cycle if the weather is ok (don't think there is a place for wet gear there !)
    Would try and avoid driving. Might possibly be going to Macclesfield college for the first year, so that should be an ok drive/ nice ride.

easygirl

ahhhhh……………. used to see a girl in marple about 15 years ago,sneaky afternoons of sex in her little cottage!!!!

therealhoops
    Free Member

never heard it called that before

beagle
    Free Member

Grew up there and lived there for 20 years and my mum was born there. I've lived in some swanky parts of Central London, Surrey, and York since mainly because of work. Can't beat a nice pint of robbies in a marple/mellor pub post ride. I'm back in the localish area now and it's great to be back. Used to work in the ringers! So much on the doorstep.

amodicumofgnar

You can get traffic free on the middlewood way all the way to the centre of Macc.

Frodo

ahem ….nice pint of robbies?

What you need is nice pint of Ale Force, Macc's finest!

The driving is not so bad anyway, about an hour each way from New Mills to Manchester city centre. Best to leave no later than 7am though.

amodicumofgnar

There's no such thing as a nice pint of Robbie's. Its always ah well see it just doesnt travel well but if you go to stockport… you'll be equally disapointed. Storm Brewery on the otherhand, fine ales all of them.

Frodo

They say that Robbies doen't travel well. Unfortunately it gets travel sick at the brewery gates.

Bunnyhop

'The Sportsmans' in Strines is a freehouse. A quick tandem ride for us along the canal. Just a teeny hill to wobble up (Plucks bridge road) on the way back. Not too many sherberts though, a fall into the canal and we wouldn't come up smelling of roses.

nbt

Robbies is alright in moderation, it's just frustrating that every bloody pub in marple is tied to robbies, and I refuse to join the conservative club even though they have theakstons (it's top gas not pump so I'm not that tempted anyway)

beagle
    Free Member

Pffft.

Bunnyhop

The small local free Marple paper arrived today, with a glorious double page spread about Nick Craig and how wonderful the mtbing is around his surrounding area of Hayfield.

stanley

Been looking for houses…… seems to be quite a few less for sale than there were a few weeks ago :-/

A bit of urgency about this, as we have agreed to an offer on ours.

Bunnyhop

Get yourself signed up with the estate agents, then as soon as something comes up they'll be on your case.
    Mellors, Reeds Rains and Bridgefords.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Marple……. any local knowledge ?’ is closed to new replies.