Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Moving to Manchester!
  • choron
    Free Member

Eurgh… avoid Staly Vegas unless your kind of night out is 10 pints a curry and a fight. It reminds me of Ashton 15 years ago – when Ashton was a real sht-hole…

Frodo

+1 for the Mighty (New) Mills.

£92 a month for a GMPTE traincard, only 30 mins on the train and doorstep riding.

We now have a vegetarian cafe ….. its all getting a bit Hebden Bridge?!?

hora
    Free Member

I lived in Stalybridge. I didn’t get any trouble. Cracking night out too.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’d recommend looking at the City Centre or even the New Islington area for the first 6/12 months or so.Lots of flats to rent, quick ,easy commute by tram/bike/foot and great transport links for heading out and no parking issues as you’ve no car.You sort of know what to expect living in town and once you’ve got settled in your job you can then think about moving out to suburbia or even further afield.

footflaps

I did some work for Norweb near Trafford many years ago.

First and only time I’d seen cars with bullet holes in the side panels just parked on the road…..

nick1962
    Free Member

First and only time I’d seen cars with bullet holes in the side panels just parked on the road…..

Probably Shrewsbury Street

badllama
    Free Member

Swinton, Eccles (some parts), Worsley and Sale all good.

Marin_Maketh_The_Man you must be just down the road from me mate 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

Can’t believe that people are suggesting Eccles as a nice place to live! My best mate used to live there and it scared the shit out of me! I live in one of the shittest areas in Stoke and it felt middle class compared to Eccles!

chunkypaul
    Free Member

my office is in chorlton (since ’97) – i always have a chuckle when i hear people describing chorlton as trendy/bohemian/nice

yes it does has a couple of posh streets and good deli’s – but unless overpriced housing, students, immigrants, brothels and drive by shootings are your thing i’d stick to outside the M60…

twohats
    Free Member

Marin_Maketh_The_Man – Member

I’ve just landed a job darn’sarf so will be looking to rent out our house in Sale in the next couple of months, with a view to selling it in the middle of next year.

You have mail!

badllama
    Free Member

Tom B
    I grew up on Ellsmere Park never had a problem went to school on Wentworth Road loads of nice houses in Eccles have you ever been near Monton sports club?

edhornby

Ok Manchester places I’ve lived in

Salford. No.

Whalley range is ok as long as you are wise and pick the streets carefully, avoid the ones around Manley road and don’t go too far up into brooks bar. Chorlton is ok too, just be vigilant as the scrotes from other areas come for house break-ins ( this also happens in didsbury)

Prestwich is great as harry says, I live in Whitefield now which is next door to Prestwich and is also great

Where are you badllama?

I see plenty of people around here who I often think must be STW’ers….. (You know, a Skoda Octavia for the week and a T5 for the weekends! )

itsallgood

@edhornby Worsley is in Salford. Too far for the op, but not to shabby.

As badlarma there are some good places in Eccles.

I’d look at the city centre /Quays / northern quarter flat option for 6 months.

Dave

MadBillMcMad

somewhere where you could train or bike in from.

Marple/Hyde/New Mills fits that bill & you are half a hop from the Peak District.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Norden/Bamford areas of Rochdale are nice. Close to Bury for the shopping and easy to get to Lee/Cragg Quarries + Calderdale over the tops.

House prices are reasonable Example right on the edge of countryside

+1 for Mossley/Saddleworth although house prices in Saddleworth are expensive (Born and bred in Saddleworth, but now live ‘near Rochdale’ as houses were somewhat cheaper.

Bury is OK too.

If you aren’t driving, Ramsbottom would be an issue as the trains that run from there are of the Steam variety.

totalshell

anywhere near a tram stop station.. they run every 12 minutes go round the houses but its brand new clean and effcient.. for me i’d not go as far out as glossop but would look to be nr rochdale ( tram bus and train links to city centre one of the cheapest places to live in the country.. littleborough todmorden all good all cheap all pretty all mtb

slimporcini
    Free Member

+1 for Mossley. Lived here just over a year now. If you like the quiet life, it’s great. 25 minute train journey to centre of Manchester and some Good local riding too 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Manchester!’ is closed to new replies.