Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Moving to Kelso – Anyone on here from there?
  • BurnBob
    Free Member

Hello all,
    I will be moving to Kelso with my wife and young daughter next month. Are there any locals on here that can point me in the right direction of some trails? Or are there any groups that go out. I am an average biker in my early 30’s. not been out too much since the arrival of my wee daughter but will have a bit more time when we move. I also do a bit of road riding too but would class myself as a roadie(still use a camelbak on the road!)
    Anyone out there?
    Bob

onehundredthidiot

Plenty on here with local knowledge (a bit east for me though). Have a look at mtb-borders.com although again they’re a bit more west of you. Think Kelso wheelers have a baggie brigade.

franksinatra

I’m melrose and happy to show you around local trails this side. Kelso is lovely, great place to bring up a family.

What brings you here, work?

BurnBob
    Free Member

Cheers guys, the in-laws are there and yeah, pretty much what you say Frank, great place for kids etc. It means me and the wife have both had to sort out jobs and transfers which will be worth it in the end!

youngrob

As above, I’m a bit further west – in Peebles but happy to show you about this end of the valley.

NZCol

What’s Peebles and surrounds like for living in and commuting to Edinburgh from ?

onehundredthidiot

BurnBob
    Free Member

Bump for the daytimers.

franksinatra

thought I would follow this up a bit.

Kelso is basically quite flat but great hills nearby. Yetholm is 10mins down the road by car and from there you have access to Cheviots, big hills with no-one else around. But, as others have said, there is more of a ‘scene’ as you head over to Central (Selkirk / Gala) and West (Peebles / Inners). Distances are not a big deal though, you can get over to superb riding with 25mins in the car.

Beautiful road riding in all directions from Kelso though.

Where are you moving from?

edit: if you stick your address in your profile I’ll get in touch and we can sort out some rides once you are settled in.

br
    Free Member

I live about 5 mins from Frank and while Kelso is flatish there is plenty of MTBing around, straight outta town. Plus south down to Jedburgh and the Cheviots.

Join http://mtbborders.proboards.com/ , there are 2 guys I know who live in Kelso and regularly ride who post, so join.

The better riding is to be had once you get across to Selkirk plus the Tweed Valley.

br
    Free Member

What’s Peebles and surrounds like for living in and commuting to Edinburgh from ?

More expensive than the other Border towns, but then it’s quicker into Edinburgh. And lots do the commute.

NZCol

How long realistically does it take into the centre at rush hour ? I won’t be working much so just pondering options – the biking location appeals for semi retirement purposes !!

br
    Free Member

How long realistically does it take into the centre at rush hour ?

It depends, especially on where in the centre and how you’re travelling plus the costs you are looking at – I’m further away and can usually drive right into Waverley station in under an hour. On a m/c it’d be 45 mins max, but I wouldn’t have want to do that over the last winter we had.

Also the railway should be up/running by 2015 down to Galashiels, so further along the valley maybe an option.

BurnBob
    Free Member

Franksinatra. Cheers for that. I have added my email to my profile. Look forward to hearing from you.

onehundredthidiot

NZ, I am in Hawick so a good deal further but the commute was about 1hr20mins (up to 3hrs) to Stockbridge (so wrong side central), much easier to pedal, mate cycles from Achendinny (20mins from Peebles) and it takes her about 45mins door to door(about the same to drive).

hopefiendboy

‘Bout 45 mins from Peebles to the North side of the city ‘centre’ on a reasonable day, but if someone crashes or blockage on way can hold things up. You could Drive from Peebles to Fairmilehead and either cycle or get the bus in from there- defo an option!

BurnBob
    Free Member

Franksinatra, I have put my email into profile. Anyone else around?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Kelso – Anyone on here from there?’ is closed to new replies.