Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Moving to Inverness – Broadband Options
  • beamers

Morning all

I’m looking for some real world experience of internet options in Inverness.

If possible I want to avoid BT (utterly farcical customer service experiences) and Sky (utterly farcical customer service experiences + expensive + lack of dish on new house.)

Seems that BT are the only superfast providers but I am reluctant to break my vow of never having anything to do with BT while there is breath in my body.

So, Inverness dwellers – who are your ISPs of choice?

Ta in advance.

DrJ

My advice is to buy a book of stamps.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Carrier pigeon.?

stuey
    Free Member

Beamers, I think you may find Inverness has become quite the Metropolis…

Granny recommends plusnet 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Owned by BT.

Next…. 🙂

Sandwich

Owned by BT.

But a whole world away from the standard BT experience.

stevious

We had Virgin Media (copper wires, not fibre) when we were up there. They were crap.

If you can get plusnet, my experience of them is that they do seem to care about customer service.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Empty Baked Beans tin and string. 😉

daviek

Not in Inverness but we’ve been with PlusNet for years and the couple of times that we have had a problem the service has been spot on.

epicyclo

Sorry, it’s BT.

(Reluctant customer.)

bedmaker

Another Plusnet here. Been with them for donkeys and was saddened to hear they were swallowed up by BT. Service seems quite alright though.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’m near Inverness, and I’m happy with Plusnet FTTC. I’m about 2km from the cabinet, so not quite ‘superfast’, but a bit faster than regular ADSL anyway.

dmorts

Unless you have Virgin Media cable, you can’t get away from BT being in the chain somewhere….i.e. Openreach.

You could even go as far to say that the monopoly imposed by BT via Openreach has stifled the social and economic development of the country outside of London*.

EDIT: *Also add to that potentially threatening national security by contracting foreign companies to install infrastructure.

scotroutes

BT. Lap it up.

kcal

We’re with PlusNet and have been for quite a while. Not *that* far from Inversnecky. My mum’s with BT and my heart sinks any time I have to get in touch re her billing or service..

br
    Free Member

Until you get in the actual house you’ve no real idea of what speeds you can have (from any provider).

beamers

Cheers all. PlusNet look like they might be worth a shot.

We are moving from the back of beyond in Aberdeenshire (satellite broadband required) to the bright lights of Inverness.

lovewookie

Our Inverness office have BT fibre. Seems to give decent enough service.

Our Glasgow office however have had to install leased line as there was no fibre in the area.

Cougar

Carrier pigeon.?

RFC 1149.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Not exactly Inverness, but one of the villages near Aviemore. Signed up with Zen Internet who have been excellent. 32mb FTTC and great customer service, which TBF you are paying extra for.

I also would not touch BT, Plusnet and Virgin don’t do our area, so went with Sky. The line speed was atrocious although the call centre were very responsive and tried lots of ways of trying to get the issue fixed before giving up

bigjim

Actually in Inverness or nearby? They’ve got the electric and everything in Inverness these days so you probably just need to choose based on customer support. My folks are a few miles outside in the sticks and are with BT, I’ve always been with PlusNet, who are far superior in terms of customer support. There’s a green cabinet a couple of fields from my parents house but openreach can’t figure out how the phone line gets to their house and BT generally aren’t interested in helping them get faster broadband.

footflaps

RFC 1149.

That is brilliant!

footflaps

Back to the OP…

Gowrie
    Free Member

Zen Internet. Still have to deal with Openreach, but good customer service and sorted out a problem on my line BT hadn’t for 18 months. (nowhere near Inverness, but that shouldn’t matter).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Inverness – Broadband Options’ is closed to new replies.