Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Moving to Edinburgh from London…
  • vinnyeh

Looks like there’s a good chance my wife’s going to be working in Edinburgh for a while- in a business park in South Gyle, near the airport.
    Is there anywhere close by that’ll be good to look for a house to rent for a family with toddlers? Doorstep riding would be a nice to have too.

And, er, are we likely to encounter any problems, her being English?

samuri
    Free Member

Nah, edinburgh is already full of cockneys that have moved north for the good life. I worked in Paisley once in Glasgow. They didn’t like english people very much at all there.

devs
    Free Member

Edinburgh is full of English people! South Gyle is right on the ring road so any of the villages along there would be ideal.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How close by? Edinburgh is a small city – you can cycle from any point in it to any other in a hour or less. South Gyle is close to the sattelite villages of Currie and Balerno which are right by the pentlands.

Edinburgh itself will not have many houses to rent – the main stock of housing is Georgian tenements. Rentals are expensive – around £200 a month plus £200 a bedroom. s 600+ for a 2 bed

AS for problems with her being English – you might get some but Edinburgh is full of the English so so long as she doesn’t fly a St Georges cross and brag about being English it won’t really affect you. It would be naive to say it won’t cause any difficulty ever tho.

http://www.espc.co.uk/ to check rentals out

donald
    Free Member

Balerno/Currie/Juniper Green/Colinton are all an easy drive – if she can get parked. There’s a train station at the Gyle so that opens things up.

Only when you next win the world cup. So no, not really.

vinnyeh

cheers all.

We’re a one car family, so we’d ideally want to find somwhere that was a briefish bus/train ride away or a cycle commute on quiet roads rather than having to buy another car.

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

My girlfriend is English and has lived in Edinburgh for the past 8 years, she doesn’t get any real hassle most of its just good banter. But like everyone has said before me Edinburgh is full of English.

There were however a few brave guys at uni that would hang England flags over their window, and would promptly have their windows smashed in.

vinnyeh

Only when you next win the world cup. So no, not really.

Is that soccer then?

donald
    Free Member

No. Football 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Currie / juniper green / balerno would be ideal then I think for cycling. Right on the pentlands and good off road / minor road routes into town / gyle. For public transport there are trains to Edinburgh park from the town centre.

Corstorphine might be another bet for somewhere to live

hora
    Free Member

There are some right cheerless feckers in Edinburgh, funnily I’m guessing they are English as they dont talk and remind me of some Londoners. Whereas a fair few Scottish folk have taken the time to talk 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Pretty much spoilt for choice I reckon – and most of the options have been covered above. South Gyle is well served by Edinburghs excellent bus service, so travelling out from nearer the centre of town isn’t out of the question. That would open up areas like Corstorphine.

I used to work next to South Gyle (Sighthill) and cycled in from Balerno regularly. There are no cycle paths, but the road is just fine. Anywhere in the Juniper Green, Currie, Balerno belt gives you instant (car-free) access to the hundreds of kilometers of tracks in the Pentlands.

jimmy

I’m an Englishman in Edinburgh and it still surprises me when I hear Scottish people on the street. There’s a lot of Eengleesh about. I used to work in the Gyle, too. Its well served by buses from the city centre and surrounding areas.

You could try Linlithgow – not too far out and served by train (need to check services to the Gyle tho I’m sure there will be one). Its in the right direction for Stirling (trails) and for heading to the Highlands. Thats where we’re thinking of moving to when I’m working again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – I regularly use a mainly off road route that goes from Currie to Gyle (well the canal) its a bit roundabout route – currie south to heriot watt down the path with the level crossing, cyclepath thru heriot watt, cross the road to the canal in along the canal.

geoffj

Depends on your budget. If you have the cash try and get somewhere in the new town and commute to the Gyle (30 minutes on a bike?). Balerno is quite pricey too, but nice. Currie and Juniper Green are not that great IMHO.

Or add 15 minutes to the bike commute and move down to the Shore in Leith.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Think about Fife too. Its only 20 mins away. Rent will be much cheaper, so is the riding!

Try Dunfermline, Inverkeithing, Dalgety Bay even Kirkcaldy.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Meant to say the riding is good, not cheap. Trails are good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fife – commuting across the bridge? 1 hr plus traffic queues? Don’t do it unless you are going to commute by rail

Kit
    Free Member

Corstorphine, Clermiston, Colinton Mains/Colinton or the Gyle itself would all suit you fine. Depends on your budget though – places like Fairmilehead, Roseburn and Murrayfield would all be good but at a premium!

I don’t believe there’s as many English in Edinburgh as people think. I think most folk confuse the born-and-(in)bred Edinburgh posh ‘English’ accents of the Heriots/Fettes/Academy/Edinburgh Uni crowds with actual English folks.

Kit
    Free Member

Oh, and don’t live in Fife or anywhere which involves heading west along the City Bypass if you want to commute by car. Nightmare!

hels
    Free Member

Kit is right – I commute from Peebles most days, and cross the Edinburgh Bypass 7.15/30ish. Bumper to Bumper chocca going westbound, I get stuck behind cars queueing to get on. Why do they do it to themselves ??

Currie/Balerno are fine there are some good rental houses for a range of budgets due to local Uni. Catch that guy “how about the New Town” no no no its full of Yahs and people who talk too loudly to each other, AND, the clincher, you will have to commute across Edinburgh via Princes St just don’t do it.

AlasdairMc

I too agree with Currie/Balerno, having lived in both (currently in Balerno). It’s possible to ride from there to South Gyle on paths and very quiet roads.

Corstorphine itself is nice in places, there’s a good mix of accommodation and you can get to the Pentlands in about half an hour if you’re riding.

Good schools in the above areas too if you’re staying a while.

al

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

Yeah avoid the Newtown, I live there and its full of loud, ugg boot, body warmer wearing toffs with to much money, daft hair and a strange habit of wearing pyjamas outside of the house.

And its a nightmare to get out of the city from there. Hence i’m noving to peebles! as soon as i can find a house…

juan
    Free Member

Lucky you I am very jealous 😀

Xan
    Free Member

I work in South Gyle myself.
    There is a housing estate next to the business park called Gogarloch. Loads of rentals in there last time I looked. Nice bit that is probably only 10 years old. Close to supermarkets and 15 minutes on the bus into the city. Let me know what you are looking for size wise and house type and I’ll have a look for you.

Plenty of cycling on Pentland hills about 15-20 minutes away and 30-40 minutes down the bypass by car there is Glentress and a few more of the 7 stanes.

Heres one that might interest you as a starter.
    http://www.espc.co.uk/Renting/272571.html

Have a look at http://www.espc.co.uk they should have plenty.

takisawa2

Have they still not got over that Braveheart thing…I dont know. Somebody should tell them it was ONLY a film.

geoffj

@hels – you probably have to live in Peebles because its the only place cheap enough for you to be able to afford a stable for that overly high horse of yours 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I seem to recall a figure of around 16-17% of Edinburgers being English.

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

17%!!! They are invading!

I’m telling you its a covert mission against all things Scottish! Arm yourselves with Irn Bru and some battered pizza and hope we can fend them off before we all keel over with heart disease.

And someone call Mel Gibson.

geoffj

More of a worrying figure is the percentage of weegies now living the wrong end of the M8! 😈

rs
    Free Member

here he is

Your wife will be fine. She can maybe expect some light hearted banter when england are playing at anything.

rs
    Free Member

More of a worrying figure is the percentage of weegies now living the wrong end of the M8!

I thought they just came through for the day to steal and pillage, they have to be back under their bridges before midnight or they’ll burst into flames. 😆

mcmoonter
    Free Member

TJ, commuting over the bridge isnt that bad. There are loads of folk commuting bybike across the bridge every morning & eve.

I’d say the town centre is a bigger problem.

I lived in a New Town flat, Gayfield Square. It was a Toff Yah free zone back in the early 80s. Glue sniffing skinheads on the stair, with the Police station across the park.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep, the bridge isn’t bad. I go over each morning and expected it to be horrendous but it isn’t. That’s quite early though, 7.15am. And it’s been pretty hassle free going back over anytime between 5 and 6pm. I may be comparing it to the M8 in Glasgow though in terms of what I consider delays/congestion to be….now that was a pain.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Edinburgh from London…’ is closed to new replies.