Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Moving to America…
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

100% absolutely take the chance.   even if you don’t like it, it will give you a new appreciation for what you do have. Great stuff, enjoy!

BillOddie

Why wouldn’t you?

Albany rates reasonably highly in terms of quality of life. (36th out of the 100 most populous areas in The US).  Bloody freezing in winter though.

If you know where you’d be working, have look at neighborhoods in a commutable area.  Use google maps at commute times to see how long your commute might take.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& don’t forget the best bit, You can get a gun!

(or maybe not cos your’e not American/permanent?)

hugo
    Free Member

Do it.

I live abroad with my family and it’s been a very good experience.  See another part of the world, travel a lot, meet new people.

richard

My parents did 4 months in Conn. when I was 4.  Came back with a good accent, and was the coolest boy in the village school, until it wore off 😉  Never been cool since…

I’ve also done a 6 month secondment in Texas when I was young free and single.  Had a great time, but I wouldn’t want to live there permanently.  Friendship with locals seemed to have so many barriers, that I didn’t really understand while I was there.  One US colleague had spent a year or so in the UK on secondment previously, and he really helped make my time there good fun!

I say go for it!

robbo1234biking

I don’t think the time off would be an issue as it is part of a UK liaison team so would mainly be working with UK colleagues so presumably if the office is providing cover it shouldn’t be an issue and US colleagues shouldn’t get disgruntled. Other people have done similar and managed to visit 52 states in the time (this isn’t something we want to achieve but there are places we want to visit!)

JoeG
    Free Member

robbo1234biking Subscriber

… Other people have done similar and managed to visit 52 states in the time

Damn impressive! Especially as there are only 50 states in the US!  😀

robbo1234biking

“Damn impressive! Especially as there are only 50 states in the US! ”

Mar a Lago and Alcatraz are the other two!

willard

A friend has done pretty much exactly the same thing with my place and moved to Florida. His thinking was that the kids were young enough to make it work (not having to take them out of school at a key moment) and that it would help his career when he got his green card. He’s probably right given how good he is at his job.

I’d say go for it if you have health insurance included and a uK holiday allowance. Living in another culture can only give you a better appreciation of the world.

aracer
    Free Member

deadkenny wrote:

And from the other US related thread at the moment, get your kids guns for school

and make sure you don’t disrespect that flag

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43061120

fooman

Living somewhere is different to visiting, I worked in Dallas for a year and it became very ordinary very quickly and I saw more of the US in the two weeks holiday I had while I was there, but I’m glad I did it.

Cougar

Regret things you do, not the things you don’t.

Do you really want to be on your deathbed in 40 years thinking wistfully, “remember that time we could’ve spent a couple of years in another country…?”  Two years is a flap of a butterfly’s wing in the grand scheme of things (and if you hate it you can come back), start packing.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Moving to America…’ is closed to new replies.