Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Moving the gas meter
  • Diane
    Free Member

Anyone had it done?
    Seems there are only a few companies per area qualified/allowed or willing to do it. Hence they pretty much have a monopoly and charge ridiculous prices!

Any way round it? Just been quoted £680 to move it 1 meter! 🙁

djglover
    Free Member

Pretty much no way round it, its going to cost a small fortune. Does that include the cost of digging the trench or fitting the meter box too? It may not. If you are moving the networks pipes then it should be no surprise that they won’t let any old cowboy loose on them.

falkirk-mark

my builder thought he would need to move the meter although it turned out he didn’t need to ,however he knew the guys who done it for Scottish gas and they would/could do it for a homer at the weekend (if you do not ask you do not get)

Diane
    Free Member

And the contact details are? Pretty please 😀 no trench – need to get a builder to make a hole in the wall and buy and fit a box so that will be extra 🙁

Diane
    Free Member

Diglover – it wouldn’t be cowboys but they wont have other registered engineers do it – can’t be that difficult! My plumber is doing all the other gas work. It’s just a racket.

Junkyard
    Free Member

whilst I am not recommending it I very much doubt their records show the accuracy of your meter to within 1m hence why they ask where it is when they call.

falkirk-mark

are you in my area Diane, I only posted as a thought for you to speak to your own builder or perhaps get the gas board out and speak to the rep incase he could help you. if you in my area email in profile and I will see if I can get a number for you.

Diane
    Free Member

My own plumber won’t touch it but I might look around – like you say they don’t know where it is (Well they do now coz they did a survey for the quote 😀 But who is going to know 😈

big_n_daft
    Free Member

My own plumber won’t touch it but I might look around – like you say they don’t know where it is (Well they do now coz they did a survey for the quote But who is going to know

it’s probably a criminal offense to tamper with the meter or gas board apparatus unless properly certificated and with permission

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-412549/Pensioner-risked-explosion-tapping-gas.html

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

I got mine moved by Scottish Gas about 9 years ago when renovating our house. It was moved from a high up shelf in the hall downstairs to the outside wall in one of the white boxes – a move of about 8 feet. Can’t rememeber the price but was about £500 – £750. Did the same for the electricity fuse box – moved it a swapped it for a more modern one – similar sort of price and distance. Was a bit disturbing watching the guy cut through the main feed into the house when raining with only an umbrella over him.

globalti
    Free Member

Just hacksaw through the pipes, nail the meter to the wall in the new location and then re-join the pipes with some old bicycle inner tubes. It’s common in Blackburn and Burnley, you just claim that it was like that when you bought the house.

Warning: for chrissakes make sure you don’t use inner tubes that were punctured.

sam_underhill

I had to have mine moved as part of my renovations. It’s the most over priced con ever ever experienced.

Assuming the existing gas pipe is a plastic one and will reach to the new location it basically a fixed charge to include digging the hole, putting the pipe into the meter box and connecting to the meter then making good the hole.

The meter box is expected to be installed ready to go. They will not connect or test the connection to your side of the meter. Nor will they turn the gas on, you need you gas guys to do that.

So it’s basically ~£750 for a couple of hours work at best. and as for the whole “making good”…. pah.. lucky I was planning on resurfacing the path anyway!

snap
    Free Member

Hi
    I work in the trade
    Where are you ?
    Could possibly sort this out for you

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I haven’t moved a gas meter but have a leccy. I assume it is a similar procedure – tell your supplier who will tell you who is your local provider so you can contact them and they will then tell you who will tell you who the approved contractor/s is/are and you contact them to move it.

A pretty expensive job but needs to be factored in if you need it moving.

In fact, if the above is anything to go by, it sounds easier – the leccy one wouldn’t touch the digging side – we had to pay our builder to prepare the site, the electrician to put in the wiring to the main and the contractor just put in the feed to the new box – an altogether big faff.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it is a con , yes it will be illegal to do yourself and yes you are unlikely to be found out.
    I suspect it would be wise to be very careful about using inner tubes…personally I would use at least downhill ones for added thickness = added security 😀
    PS rubber degrades in contact with gas and needs replacing even if you use the correct stuff. i forget how often it is on the boat safety 10 years????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Moving the gas meter’ is closed to new replies.