Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • moving itunes to external hard drive?
  • peteroughton169
    Free Member

any one on here know how to do this? ive got it on the laptop but the harddrive is gettin full. ive got an exeternal harddrive and want to put itunes on there instead so i can free up the laptop. all i seem to be able to do at the mo is a shortcut? not bothered about losing music as its all on the external hd anyway, help!!!!…..

tomzo
    Free Member

First go, file ->library -> organise -> consolidate.

this puts all your music into the itunes folder which is in my doucments-> my music -> itunes

I would then just copy that folder over to your harddrive.

peteroughton169
    Free Member

thyen do i just uninstall itunes from the laptop?

tomzo
    Free Member

nope.

Once the folder is copied over to your harddrive, open itunes, select all the music and delete it. (send files to trash bin and remember to empty the trash bin after you've double checked its on your external harddrive).

then go into itunes preferences -> advanced and then change the itunes media folder location to the folder on your harddrive!

skidartist
    Free Member

Also, in future make sure you are connected to the external drive when you add new music, otherwise it'll create a new folder on your drive and store the music there instead

peteroughton169
    Free Member

cheers folks, ime on it now!

Sandwich

No, don't do that, shut iTunes after copying the music folder and restart it holding down the alt key (this works on a mac check on-line before doing it with a PC) select the library on the external disc. Once iTunes is open alter the location of the music folder in preferences to the folder on the external drive. You can then delete the music folder from the laptop.
    Remember to plug the external disc in before starting iTunes as it will automatically generate a new music folder on the laptop if it can't find the one stated in the preferences.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘moving itunes to external hard drive?’ is closed to new replies.