Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Moving House – Is car insurance risk a decider for you?
  • bland

I say this as it is for us moving from Oldham (soon thank god).

The price is so astronomical that we have to get out as paying two car insurance policies is basically unaffordable and that surely this is going to have massive effects on house value as time goes on and the problem with uninsured drivers in that area becomes exponential.

My insurance is £2600 on a Accord Diesel and the wifes £1500+ on a mazda 3 saloon to give you some figures. By moving somewhere with low risk (which thankfully my job has allowed at just the right time – To Malvern hopefully) will allow us to pile in a heap of cash into the mortgage.

This is a useful guide for risk rating which the insurance is massively skewed by SEARCH YOUR POSTCODE RISK

Ours is F* and im not going into the reasons why

coffeeking
    Free Member

Postcode risk isn’t all that useful, my old house was an F*, my mates a few miles away was a D* and consistently had higher premiums by 2x despite similar cars and same driving history/age etc. What’s more my current postcode is a D* and the premium is higher than in the F* a year earlier and rose 10% when I moved within the same postcode to what appears to be a better location (on road, next to a pub and a chippy and a major junction moved to private drive in a cul-de-sac parked off road within 200 yards of the original).

So use it as a guide, but don’t assume, run some quotes.

Yes I did use it as a parameter in my house search as 3 (soon to be 4) cars can create a hefty dent if you get the wrong premiums!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I moved from rural cumbria to rossendale and my insurance was quoted to nearly double. I moved companies and it went up £20

coffeeking
    Free Member

One assumes we were discussing the cheapest possible quotes.

wallop

We live in an E area and my diesel estate insurance is £500. Doesn’t stack up with the £2600 for the OP’s diesel estate insurance!

maccruiskeen

Moved from a parked-on-street ‘F’ to a parked-within-a-several-hundred-acres-of-private-country-estate ‘A’ and not noticed any meaningful difference in premiums

But even if I added together the lady’s car, my two vans with their bells and whistles tools in transit insurance, our legal cover and my separate £30k goods in transit insurance and all our breakdown polices I’d still have close to £1k change from the OP’s policy for one car.

The postcode reflects the risks from others to your car (£thousands), not your risks to others as a driver (potentially £millions) and as such the damage / theft risk to the car is a small portion of the premium.

Is the OP a particularly young / new driver? Lots of claims and convictions?

bland

No early 30’s, 5 years no claims discount with one bump in last 5 yrs and a clean liscence, mrs similar but less ncd.

Maybe its just Oldham and the fact its full of people of different ethnic origin who seem to like the home rule for insurance, “dont bother”, or 3rd generation of such who are slightly work shy and see fake claims as an honest days work. Not to mention that traunch of society that we have dragged up ourselves who’s work starts at nightfall with a fuzzy head!

Intersting what people are saying though, maybe it makes a big difference to myself as the above are genuine problems causing a massive skew in results and hence premiums.

I am looking forward to cheaper quotes though i must say

anagallis_arvensis

Dont worry then bland you’ll love Malvern, very white and affluent.

avdave2

I moved from a house with only on street parking in a town center on a route back from the local night club to a house in a quiet low crime area with off road parking. Result – premiums went up, why? because the insurance company reckoned I must be wealthier to be in the new area, no other possible explanation.

Cougar

I don’t think I’ve ever paid anything like a four figure sum for insurance ever, and wouldn’t. And I live in Accrington (D* according to that list).

Have you considered a smaller engined car?

BoardinBob

“E” area

Parked in a residential parking space

10 years no claims

£180 a year for an 8 year old Korean people carrier

qwerty
    Free Member

We moved from an E to an A and saved £500 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Ours is F* and im not going into the reasons why

and

Oldham

I think its safe to say whiplash and rear end claims 😆

I moved 500m’s down the road and my insurance went up 40% 😯

Ro5ey
    Free Member

OP how much are the car worth? … or… how much do the cars mean to you and the Mrs over you home ?

Surely for £2600 you could buy a decent run-a-round each year and insure it on only third party…. ?

hora
    Free Member

Ro5ey. Run a third party quote. You’d be shocked.

If I was to pull a scam etc etc I’d take out a third party insurance and then disconnect my brake lights…..

Sure its not everyone but 3rd party insurance isn’t cheap anymore.

xiphon
    Free Member

Sorry but you’d have to be a complete mug to pay over £4000 per year to insure your cars!

hora
    Free Member

Sorry but you’d have to be a complete mug to pay over £4000 per year to insure your cars!

Kinda agree.

I wanted either a Impreza WRX sportswagon or a 05ish Civic Type R.

The insurance quotes came in at c1300 min (7yrs NCD) and on that basis I bawked. Afterall you are essentially giving away £1,300 a year for free. Nevermind 4k!

thomthumb
    Free Member

I love the smell of casual racism in the morning. 😈

hora
    Free Member

I love the smell of casual racism in the morning

You do realise that Oldham is one of the countries top areas for insurance blacklists?

Insurers don’t look at an area and say ‘I don’t like the look of you lot or culture’.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m in an E area (thanks for that link) and have never paid anywhere near that for car insurance, including when my Mrs was a new, inexperienced driver.

br
    Free Member

We’ve just moved from a ‘C’ to a ‘B’;

My 535i has gone from £330 to £215
    My wifes Freelander has gone from £600 to £450, but she’s had two accidents.

Both comp and with business cover.

Your Accord premium is at a level they wanted for my 17 y/o third party on a Corsa in Doncaster – is Oldham actually Beruit in disguise?

hora
    Free Member

I’m in an F. 😆

Flaperon

I moved from Devon to Aylesbury and started commuting to London. Car insurance went up £200.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

That guide above can’t possibly be accurate. Some codes within Crawley are coming up in band A which seems a little unlikely. Don’t insurers have their own databases of where claims have occurred as well?

2600 sounds like a crazy amount, who is it with? its not through one of those comparison websites is it?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I take your ‘F’ and raise you a ‘refer’…

<blows smoke from fingers..>

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Moving House – Is car insurance risk a decider for you?’ is closed to new replies.