• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IA.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Moving house in 2 days, anything to watch out for or do?
  • LMT
    Free Member

Except the obvious!

We get the keys on Thursday to our first home, we have no furniture as such so got a Transit for the day, was thinking of keeping it for a few extra hours just in case, the biggest piece of furniture we have is a side board which we didn’t have at our flat its in my mates garage!

Changed my virgin media services, called british gas to change over my account, council tax done as well, water company told as well, pretty much all packed except the stuff we need day to day.

Changed addresses on bank accounts and work stuff. We haven’t redirected the mail as we have 3 more weeks with the rented flat, landlord being awkward he wanted a full months rental period not the 4 weeks notice we offered him.

Booked a long weekend off work to unpack, made the fatal error of buying new sofa’s and bed, the sofa company wouldn’t hold on to the sofa for another week for us so that’s being delivered on the Friday which in hindsight is a bit of an error. Ikea with the bed have been pretty great, pick a delivery day and they will do it there and then.

Have I missed anything? first new home and tbh we never thought we would ever afford a house and at 38 we were beginning to worry about where we would live when we retired or had enough pension to pay the rent, so this is great.

nemesis
    Free Member

Congratulations 🙂

The main thing I would suggest is to think about anything you want to do which is a lot easier without furniture and try and do that if possible or not move the furniture into the room straight away.

nickjb
    Free Member

You might not have that much stuff but you have more than you think. That “one last load” will be about 3 van fulls.

Also throw some stuff away. Don’t move it from the loft of one house to the loft of the next never to be touched again until you move it to the loft of your next house.

Mates who will help for beer will be handy

mj27
    Free Member

Take photos of the meters as you leave.

Alarm code for the new house.

Put a box together of Tea/coffee/sugar/milk and kettle or it will get lost in the move

Leave the fridge to stand after you have moved it for a bit before switching it on.

Say hello to the neighbours.

Label your boxes.

Ring the sofa company again, make some silly excuse to get them to change the delivery to your new address

You have never packed enough. It will be a long day, look after your back.

Take your time unpacking, you are in the house!

andyl
    Free Member

I feel your pain as I hate moving house!

But congratulations and make sure you have a bottle of bubbly and know a decent local takaway for your first night 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

make sure you have a bottle of bubbly and know a decent local takaway for your first night

That ^^^

LMT
    Free Member

Cheers all!

We have thrown a ton of stuff out already, waiting for the council to put those letters through the door asking who filled the bins with old bookcases or old clothes etc….

We know we have a bits to pack, having the flat a while longer means we can at least go to and from over the next couple of weeks if needed.

olly2097
    Free Member

Make sure the boiler is serviced!
    We moved during a cold winter. The boiler packed up after 12 hours.

Cold. Miserable. Also had a leak under the kitchen units.

Lessons learnt!

bails

Take toilet roll along with the mugs/biscuits. Better than going to christen the new place and having to use the accumulated junk mail that’s behind the front door.

Esme
    Free Member

Make up the bed as soon as it’s delivered. Not just assemble it, but the actual bedding. Then it’s ready to collapse into, at the end of an exhausting day.

marcgear
    Free Member

Make up the bed as soon as it’s delivered. Not just assemble it, but the actual bedding. Then it’s ready to collapse into, at the end of an exhausting day.

This. And put up something at the window; curtians/whatever.

jekkyl

Put the stereo together first then put on your favourite tunes whilst you unpack.
    First meal in a new house has to be a takeaway, it’s the law!
    Nice one, enjoy! 😀

jekkyl

Double post.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Change at least one lock on each external door.
    You have no way of knowing who the previous owner gave a key to.

ebennett

Buy a plunger. Might not need it during the course of the move, but boy will you be glad you’ve got it when you need it!

LMT
    Free Member

Thanks lots of tips, no bed until Saturday was planning on sleeping at the current rented flat until we get fully in. The plan was to move gradually but someone is too excited so we are moving all in one go, new bed, new sofa, new washing machine and fridge all to be delivered over the week.

Looking forward to getting in there now and moving, managed to bag me a bike room just for the bikes, my bike kit, tools, bike stand loads better than hiding them in the gas cupboard.

IA

Done this relatively recently.

You have more stuff to move than you think, and will be knackered. So any mates you can lure to help out for chocolate/beer/takeaway – get them to help.

Give it a good Hoover etc before you move anything in. It’ll never be that easy again.

Photos of new meters too when you move in.

Update driving license address, car reg docs, insurance, hmrc need notified.

Keep the van an extra day. If there’s not a bonus load of stuff you can’t be bothered with there’ll be a load of stuff that actually wants to go to the tip (tho check your tip will let you in with a van! Some won’t)

Find the gas and water stop cocks as soon as you get there. When you need them, you need them NOW.

Make a list of things to do so you don’t forget.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Moving house in 2 days, anything to watch out for or do?’ is closed to new replies.