Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Moving hosted website to get better google search (load of rubbish right?)
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

used to dabble with the ole web design years ago, im sure it’s all moved on.

Our current business website is hosted by BT and is all nice and cheap and were happy with it.

Our MD has been approached by a fancy printing/web design place who do our business cards, catalogues(so over time they have naturally wanted to get everything over to them)

They want to ‘re-host’ our website with themselves as the have guaranteed they can get us to the top of google searches.

Am i correct in saying this is b*lox and it doesnt actually matter where the actual website is hosted as when you mess with google anaylitics etc its all done remotely.

cheers for any help

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They want to ‘re-host’ our website with themselves as the have guaranteed they can get us to the top of google searches.

Get the contract right and either it works (top of searches for 12 months) or you pay nothing and get free hosting for 2 years.
    If they mean it they will sign and you should too, just make sure you do the contract.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

ok cheers, but am i right in the fact it doesnt matter WHERE the website is hosted all the fancy business of getting to the top of google is easily done via google, as in theoretically if we had the time we could do it ourselves?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yes it’s mostly* bollox unless they plan to modify the site too. To be fair, your MD could be misquoting them.

*There could some arguments around speed/performance

leffeboy

has to be bollox otherwise what happens if they have 20 people all in the same business – they can’t all be at the top. You also need to know what people are searching for for your result to be at the top.

As GaryLake says there are some things they can do to help a bit but I can’t imagine any way that just changing host can by itself do that.

andytherocketeer

Could understand if re-hosting it means it’ll get a proper domain name as well, with properly set up DNS zone records, instead of a generic ISP based web address (eg http://www.companyname.com instead of http://www.companyname.webhostname.com)

johndoh
    Free Member

Get you to the top of Google for what search terms exactly? That’s the detail you need to know.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Cheers all,

forgot to add we do have a full proper domain name as in http://www.monkeyboy.co.uk

they are in next week i just wanted to load my gun full of bullets first 😉

leffeboy

Ask them specifically what they will do to make you jump up the ratings and for what searches. Then get them to give you an example of someone else who isn’t too obscure who this has worked for.

phil.w
    Free Member

he have guaranteed they can get us to the top of google searches.

No one can guarantee to get you to the top of searches. Anyone that says they can should instantly be treated with caution.

Could understand if re-hosting it means it’ll get a proper domain name as well, with properly set up DNS zone records, instead of a generic ISP based web address (eg http://www.companyname.com instead of http://www.companyname.webhostname.com)

Doesn’t matter you can get either to rank just as easily.

they are in next week i just wanted to load my gun full of bullets first

Can you post up the rest of the proposal and I’ll pick holes in it for you 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

Watch out for any quick wins too…

If they start talking about content strategies and timescales of months to years, they may well be legit (wehether you work with them or not and it has any value is another thing).

If they’re talking about link building and timescales of weeks, tell them to leave immediately.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

we haven’t got a proposal yet they are popping in next week and the boss wants me in there so i want to know my onions first.

thejollybodger
    Free Member

Hi,

Google will soon be profiling results based on geographical location. So if you have a UK site based on US servers and your competitor has a UK site based on UK servers, they will top you.

Still early days yet though. Above comments are true though, you cannot guarantee being in the top spot and you’re right in thinking moving hosting (other than the above reason which is not in service yet) will improve your rankings.

Hope this helps.
    Lee

phil.w
    Free Member

Have we gone back to 2009 again.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers all

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Moving hosted website to get better google search (load of rubbish right?)’ is closed to new replies.